OnePlus for Verizon

arwaldon4

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I know that the OnePlus 6 wont work on Verizon due to lack of Band 13 for LTE, but is that more or less a software issue? I want to switch back to an android device (currently using an iPhone X), but I'm no longer on T-Mobile. Anyone have insight? Maybe the 6T after the T-Mobile exclusivity??

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I know that the OnePlus 6 wont work on Verizon due to lack of Band 13 for LTE, but is that more or less a software issue? I want to switch back to an android device (currently using an iPhone X), but I'm no longer on T-Mobile. Anyone have insight? Maybe the 6T after the T-Mobile exclusivity??

The issue isn't necessarily the LTE, it's the lack of CDMA.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It's not just a s/w issue, some radios would need to be "tuned" for those additional bands; I don't think they sell many phones with the idea of "enabling" bands, at some point, unless they were just "disabled", at RTM.
There are financial and licensing issues too, the FCC approved that device, with ONLY those bands, so they'd have to re-submit all that, as well.
Even if the band is easily "supported", this seems like a "reach", and to what end really, it would still just have very limited Verizon service.

And yeah, like JHBThree pointed out, there's no CDMA support, which is DEFINITELY NOT a s/w fix ;-]

I think if Verizon approached them, it might be a different story, but I don't know if it's really something OP would pursue themselves at this point (pure speculation though), given that they seem to be exceeding any sales forecasts, with a GSM-only device.

Plus, it works almost anywhere else in the world right now, or close, it's all basically the same h/w (and mostly f/w too), the US is the only one with a dated, goofy CDMA system, even if it is the best provider, for outside metro areas anyway (TMo is really good here, but only in large metro areas, IME, they fall apart fast, but boy are they fast in-metro, I live about 5mi from their headquarters, and could pull 150/100 or so, when I had them briefly, a couple of years back).

While I know that most carriers aren't exactly "great business partners", the stuff I read about Verizon has long (19 years now) kept me with AT&T (except the brief interlude with TMo, about 1.5 months, rural was THAT bad), and continues to do so.
IF Verizon ever moves to "real LTE" coverage (in-place of their CDMA installs), I could see myself having a prepaid SIM, as a secondary, the cheapest plan, for those times when needed coverage, people like my brother pulled out his Verizon phone...

arwaldon4

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I loved using T-Mobile. This is a work plan that is too good to pass up so I switched back to Verizon. If it weren’t for that I would’ve stayed with T-Mobile. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61