Ordered the Fi version by accident can I use it on another carrier?

Rick Carnagey

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
In my rush to order a Pixel 6 Pro I must have ordered the fi version which is supposed to be unlocked. I am already on Visible and don't want to switch. Will I be able to use this phone on Visible even though it was ordered via the Fi ordering link? Or will I have to send this one back to order an unlocked one that was not intended for Fi?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
In my rush to order a Pixel 6 Pro I must have ordered the fi version which is supposed to be unlocked. I am already on Visible and don't want to switch. Will I be able to use this phone on Visible even though it was ordered via the Fi ordering link? Or will I have to send this one back to order an unlocked one that was not intended for Fi?
Just put your carrier sim card in the P6 and you should be fine. All Pixels are Google Fi ready.

Rick Carnagey

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Just put your carrier sim card in the P6 and you should be fine. All Pixels are Google Fi ready.

I was hoping that would be the case. I was able to go back and order the unlocked version and cancel the Google Fi one I ordered.

I am not sure why they have a Google Fi link to order if it can be used on any carrier other than to try to promote Google Fi which is probably exactly what they are doing. I probably would have just kept the fi order if I couldn't order the unlocked one if it was the only way I could get the P6 pro without waiting for it to come back in stock.
Guess that's something to keep in mind in the future if they sell out everywhere else but fi.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I was hoping that would be the case. I was able to go back and order the unlocked version and cancel the Google Fi one I ordered.

I am not sure why they have a Google Fi link to order if it can be used on any carrier other than to try to promote Google Fi which is probably exactly what they are doing. I probably would have just kept the fi order if I couldn't order the unlocked one if it was the only way I could get the P6 pro without waiting for it to come back in stock.
Guess that's something to keep in mind in the future if they sell out everywhere else but fi.
Oh...I doubt there was any Google Fi conspiracy going on. I bought our two Pixel 4a from Best Buy when we were on AT&T. After some wifi calling issues and very bad customer service in the ATT store I sat at the counter and switched to Google Fi right in front of them.
So in short it doesn't matter where you buy a Pixel, those will work with any carriers because those are unlocked. Now if you activate it through a carrier (except For) it might be locked to that carrier for a contracted time.

Rick Carnagey

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
At the Google play store there is an option to buy a Google Fi pixel 6 and 6 pro. It's a different link to buy than the plain unlocked version. There is also a link to buy a Verizon one there.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...us/config/pixel_6_pro?hl=en-US&token=0OIiOuKm

But as you said if you buy through the fi link that phone should work on any carrier so if the fi link is the only one that still has them available you should be able to buy it there and use it wherever you want. I would have done that if they had not come back in stock through the unlocked link

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I ordered the fi version specifically because I want to ditch the garbage pile that is the tmobile sprint merger.

That being said when you read the description it says unlocked freedom to switch anytime.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the fi version specifically because I want to ditch the garbage pile that is the tmobile sprint merger.

That being said when you read the description it says unlocked freedom to switch anytime.
Google Fi uses T-Mobile and U.S Cellular plus wifi calling. Of course you can sign up with any carrier and not with Google Fi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay