Original Droid Turbo or Z Play?

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the original Droid Turbo, would this phone be a downgrade, even swap, or an upgrade? Mine is running the Snapdragon 805, and the Z Play is running the 625. Both have 3 GB of RAM. I am thinking the change would be a little more lateral, but maybe slightly quicker processing, due to newer chip technology. The camera has to be better than the Turbo, right? I know, still Motorola, but I cannot justify spending ~$700 for a new phone right now.... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd guess it would be an upgrade, if for no other reason than the finger print scanner and larger screen. Battery life may be better on the newer phone too.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The battery is smaller but might last longer with a 1080 screen. Moto claims "up to 50 hours" for the Moto Play Z battery; for Droid Turbo they claimed "up to 48 hours".

The camera in the Play has two types of autofocus; the Turbo only has one type. Neither has optical image stabilization. Both are f2.0 lenses, but the Turbo has a 21MP camera and the Play Z has "only" 16MP. I've come to really like the 21MP on my Turbo because of the greater detail in the shots and the fact you can crop them and effectively "zoom in" on images. I would say, no, the Play does not have a better camera.

But the Play has fingerprint scanner and an SD card slot. Play Z can play FLAC audio files. It does not have wireless charging.

I'd call it a lateral move, not an upgrade, unless a fingerprint scanner is a must have feature.

Motorola DROID Turbo - Full phone specifications
Motorola Moto Z Play - Full phone specifications

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The hardware is a lateral move but the software is a nice upgrade.

You get all the benefits of Marshmallow and adoptable storage works great on the Z phones if you get a fast card.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It's a good upgrade to "get current", IMO.

I just received my Moto Z Play and it is a definite and obvious upgrade from the Droid Turbo. Of course, the Turbo is still a fantastic phone if you're willing to sacrifice screen size and finger print scanner.

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have had all the Turbo devices and I love the Play so far. No issues as far as performance. Great battery life. LOVE the fingerprint sensor.

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
The battery is smaller but might last longer with a 1080 screen. Moto claims "up to 50 hours" for the Moto Play Z battery; for Droid Turbo they claimed "up to 48 hours".

The camera in the Play has two types of autofocus; the Turbo only has one type. Neither has optical image stabilization. Both are f2.0 lenses, but the Turbo has a 21MP camera and the Play Z has "only" 16MP. I've come to really like the 21MP on my Turbo because of the greater detail in the shots and the fact you can crop them and effectively "zoom in" on images. I would say, no, the Play does not have a better camera.

But the Play has fingerprint scanner and an SD card slot. Play Z can play FLAC audio files. It does not have wireless charging.

I'd call it a lateral move, not an upgrade, unless a fingerprint scanner is a must have feature.

Motorola DROID Turbo - Full phone specifications
Motorola Moto Z Play - Full phone specifications

I think however you can buy a battery mod that does wireless charging for $69 bucks. For $400 dollars, this phone has been very impressive.

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering about this too. Specs wise, very similar. Screen downgrade in quality (can you tell the difference between 1080 and QHD?) but increase in size. I wish ZPlay had 4 GB of RAM though.

The battery life on my Turbo is down quite a lot. It was great at first, now I'm reaching for the charger about dinner time. Also seems to get laggier too. I think I'll reassess closer to the Holiday season hoping for a sweet deal or promo to push me over the edge.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Bumping this thread again because I'm curious as well. I have a Turbo 2 though, do you guys think the Z Play would be a worthy upgrade? I'm mainly after the insane battery life and the manual mode for the camera/Hasselblad mod.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i am currently a xt1254 droid turbo owner.

from what i am reading, even though the xt1254 has a 3900 MAH battery, the z play battery life is still much better?

any other feedback if it is worth switching?

thank you.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The Z Play is a major upgrade from both the original Droid OID Turbo and the DT2. Camera is about the same, they feel about the same in terms of speed, but the Z Play blows both phones out of the water in terms of battery life. The only reason to keep the original Turbo over the Z Play is if you like a smaller phone. The Z Play feels a lot bigger in the hand than the 5.2" Turbo.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i just did the upgrade.

i actually like the original turbo better.

- better camera
- 5.2" screen size
- battery on turbo still gets you entire day

i don't care for the bigger size or the fingerprint scan.

why did i upgrade then?

the turbo fell in the toilet and to use insurance and pay a deducible of $100 didn't seem worth it.

they z play is def a great phone but i don't think significantly better than the original turbo.

i'm still happy though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i just did the upgrade.

i actually like the original turbo better.

- better camera
- 5.2" screen size
- battery on turbo still gets you entire day

i don't care for the bigger size or the fingerprint scan.

why did i upgrade then?

the turbo fell in the toilet and to use insurance and pay a deducible of $100 didn't seem worth it.

they z play is def a great phone but i don't think significantly better than the original turbo.

i'm still happy though.

We are talking about the overall package. Obviously it isn't going to be worth it for everyone...just depends on your needs

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Overall for most people I doubt the OG Turbo camera would be better. Maybe your usage is different though.
Yeah I'd agree. I can't find the details on the turbo camera, but the turbo 2 shares the same sensor as the Z Force. Unlikely the og turbo was comparable. Also the og turbo I owned had massive shutter lag (like 2+ seconds).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174