Otterbox Commuter or Case-mate Tough

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I've already got a cheapy TPU case to get me through the first few days of owning the phone, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to want something that will provide better protection. I can't decide between the Otterbox Commuter or the Case-mate Tough cases. I used to have an old Otterbox case for a different phone and found that the silicone started to degrade pretty fast. Does anyone know if they have improved this? And which one do you think is best and why?

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had an Otterbox for my EVO for 2 years now and I haven't had any problems with the silicon degrading... and I work in a machine shop were the oils in the air are very hard on plastic and silicon.

Reactions: draco1986

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had an Otterbox for my EVO for 2 years now and I haven't had any problems with the silicon degrading... and I work in a machine shop were the oils in the air are very hard on plastic and silicon.

Thanks jam4775, I used to work in a car shop and had troubles with anything silicon based degrading is 6 months or less, but I was working with paint thinner, adhesive remover and other detailing chemicals everyday. I've had luck with my Seidio Surface case for the last year on my Fascinate, but I don't like how they make the cutouts for their buttons.

How have the dust covers held up?

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
You know I read all kinds of posts and take notice og people on the street all the time.
It's good to see that at least people that really need the otter box type case are using them. I see suit and ties use them all the time. I once asked a particular suit and tie one day why he had a otter box on his iPhone when he obviously had a desk job ....
Answer quick and calm as could be .... " I always spill my Starbucks on my phone "
This is the world that we live in.

EWTech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone and this is Galaxy S2. We both use Ballistic cases since we pocket our phones and these cases seem smaller but plenty protective for both. There is also no *logo cutout* on the iPhone version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

jggonzalez

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I discovered the Case-Mate Tough when I had an HTC Sensation and I immediately bought one for my GS3. I love it, but will have to remove it now that I'm switching to an extended battery. I will definitely miss it. I tried a Spigen case and that worked well, but I really liked the texturing and firm grip on the Case Mate, so I switched back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29