Over 1 gig of storage space unaccounted for after botched download?

dvd1138

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. My tablet shows 5.92GB total space. The list of Apps, Pictures, Audio, and Downloads adds up to 2.47GB. The tablet shows 510MB free. That's a huge discrepancy. And I'm sorry, but doing a factory reset is not the answer. This is obviously happening more often than a freak occurrence and what's to keep this from happening again? The talk about botched downloads sounds familiar, so it sounds like that's maybe a cause. I'll keep looking into that around the net.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. My tablet shows 5.92GB total space. The list of Apps, Pictures, Audio, and Downloads adds up to 2.47GB. The tablet shows 510MB free. That's a huge discrepancy. And I'm sorry, but doing a factory reset is not the answer. This is obviously happening more often than a freak occurrence and what's to keep this from happening again? The talk about botched downloads sounds familiar, so it sounds like that's maybe a cause. I'll keep looking into that around the net.
There's lots of other data being stored besides the list you mentioned. Download the app called DiskUsage. It shows a nice, very graphical representation of your storage. You'll notice the system data folder, which you can't access to see its contents. However, it will show you its size. Perhaps that is the data amount that you are missing. There is also a lot of data in the Android folder and its sub-folders. You can drill down into that to see the specifics of what's in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
There's lots of other data being stored besides the list you mentioned. Download the app called DiskUsage. It shows a nice, very graphical representation of your storage. You'll notice the system data folder, which you can't access to see its contents. However, it will show you its size. Perhaps that is the data amount that you are missing. There is also a lot of data in the Android folder and its sub-folders. You can drill down into that to see the specifics of what's in there.

It's a good app and has helped me. But he's going to need root to really find out what's going on. He said he didn't want to root, so I think factory reset is about all he's got left.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
:) don't think it means SQUAT! My Win 7 computer shows 1GB difference between used space and "total minus free" so I woudn't get obsessed over it.

Well Dave, I bet your Win7 computer has more than 8GB storage, so it wouldn't be that big a deal on say 250GB or more. But on an 8GB device (still can't believe people don't understand more is better here) then 1GB is an eighth of what he started with, and is a very big deal. It would be a big deal for me on my 16GB N7.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Didn't say it isn't a big deal. My point was in how space is reported.

kevinf28

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I registered just to thank you for this post. DiskUsage is now my favourite apps of the month! I made a post on stackexange pretty much answering the same question, but with much more details.
4.0 ice cream sandwich - Memory settings menu inconsistently shows internal storage half-empty and completely full at the same time - Android Enthusiasts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore Rebecca