Overheating message since KitKat update.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm on Verizon. About to ditch them too, as soon as the new Moto X or Nexus comes out, I'm going zero contract with somebody else. I am so sick of stuff like this happening.

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my third s4 and had it overheat for the first time last night. This is a new out of the box phone that I've had less than a month. The biggest consistent problem I'm having is text lag and scrolling lag of up to 10 seconds.
Does anyone know what might be causing this? I don't think I'm running kitkat.

Posted via Android Central App

ViperGeek

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been running KitKat (I545VRUFNC2) for about 48 hours and just got this message. I've got the phone on while charging, which some say should be avoided, but I've never had a problem pre-KitKat. Does anyone know of a way to disable/freeze/uninstall this feature?

– Dave

Michael Bodine

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Updated to KK on 4/25. Almost immediately, battery meter started heading to zero by mid-day every day. So i got used to charging while at my desk, driving in the car, pretty much tethered to power whenever sitting down. Also, my OEM charger, provided with the phone, now always connects with a warning that if i want to charge at full speed, i should use the original charger. Duh. About a week ago, the hot battery message started to come up, and once it's on for the day, it doesn't seem to go away, even persisting after a restart. Sometimes it *does* feel pretty hot, sometimes it is clearly cool, but the message remains on for an extended period. Verizon. At about the time these problems started to happen, i discovered Samsung WatchOn app, and started to use it, then discovered Peel's Smart Remote, which is even better, but they both are always on, and i thought maybe they were the problem, but after uninstalling Smart Remote, and pretty much disabling all WatchOn features so it never runs, i've decided it really is KitKat that's the culprit. A fix would be really nice but i'd bet dollars to donuts that any update will come with additional baggage that will result in no overall improvement. I do see recommendations elsewhere, as mentioned by TaiMai, that you should reformat your SD card, as error retries and other SD memory management tasks can add compute time to your processor, which would result in heat...

ViperGeek

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been able to make some minor progress with my overheat and battery usage issues. In no particular order:
  • Froze Samsung* and S * (e.g. S Health, S Memo, S Note, S Translate, S Voice, etc.).
  • Froze Backup, BlurbCheckout, Cloud, Easy settings, Filter Installer, PageBuddyNotiSvc, Security policy updates, and SysScope. Each, at one time or another, were constantly chewing up >3% of my CPU for no (apparent) reason.
  • Installed Wakelock Detector and Wakelock Terminator. Auto-terminate GCM_CONN_ALARM and GCM_CONN wakelocks in Google Play services.

YMMV.

– Dave

mohaiyedin

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
SOLVED; Turn off device; just remove your SD card; turn on device...turn wifi browser internet for while...turn off device...install your sd card...turn on device...the overheat info will not appear again...

edoct 2408

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
dont remember since when my note 3 started hot, but i know it used to be no problem. now, CPU getting hot to almost 60 degree C for just 5 minutes playing any games (especially hay day). running on kitkat 4.4.2

ndira

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine does that as well. It will tell me to leave it for 5 minutes. Cleanmaster has a device cooler utility that tells me the temperature of the phone. I think it is Kit Kat that is doing that. I can't wait for the 4.4.4 update. It's been a hellish five months with Kit Kat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Richard Borgner

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I installed CleanMaster and also did the "remove your SD card" routine...will see how it goes. Not only was my phone getting hot, but it was also draining the battery while plugged into the car charger when using Waze...we shall see...

Just wanted to add a few things...I have never gotten the overheating message, but I do feel that my phone was getting hotter than it should...

It's been a few hours since I installed CleanMaster and removed and reinstalled my SD card. I cannot believe how much cooler the phone is now, even in its Spigen case plugged into the desktop charging stand! The back of the phone is barely warm to the touch.:)

Last edited:

Michael Johnson34

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes, apparently many people have been having the issue, especially with Galaxy Note 8 tablets. Mine is getting so bad that I have to use the App Manager to shut down all the Goggle services right after it boots. I've reset the device to factory settings and it only got worse. I think this is more of a hardware-based issue then it is software. Unfortunately for me I lost the receipt and I'm left with a piece of junk.
I guess I'll switch to an iPad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer