P30 Pro - water got into speaker

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
First off, I love this phone so much. :)

That said, I unfortunately managed to get my phone wet. It works just like new, except that the speaker is muffled and crackly. It's been a few days, and I have set the phone in uncooked rice for about 24 hours. I have also used those sonic cleaner apps that claim to push water out of the phone.

There has been definite improvement, but the sound has still yet to return to 100%. I'd say, it's about 50-60%.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience with this phone or other phones you may have owned. I do have an extended warranty with my carrier for just this kind of thing, but it is still an expensive proposition to get a replacement - especially for just the speaker.

I guess my main concern is that a lot of people say in similar circumstances that their speakers come back to life in a matter of hours. I'm just wondering if there is a chance it's just taking longer for my speaker to completely dry out, where there has been improvement.

Thank you in advanced fellow P30 fans :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Uncooked rice" = "phone destroyer". Rubbing alcohol removes water (it may feel like water, but it's not). Just bathe the speaker area in alcohol, swish it around gently and, aside from having the speaker replaces, that's the best you can do. (Rice absorbs water, but not the impurities in it. Alcohol washes out the impurities too - and it's not water that damages a phone, it's the impurities. Sitting a non-waterproof phone in a bath of chemically pure water doesn't cause any problems [electrically - it can destroy things like paper speaker cones], but the metallic salts that were dissolved in the water just get concentrated by removing the water. Then you have concentrated chemicals all over the phone every time the humidity goes up.)

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I just did that, but now the speaker's volume has gotten even worse. I suppose that's normal because it is getting wet with alcohol.

Edit: Speakers have improved. Still not quite all the way there, but it's far less crackly and distorted. I'll give it a few more rounds of the alcohol.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First off, I love this phone so much. :)

That said, I unfortunately managed to get my phone wet. It works just like new, except that the speaker is muffled and crackly. It's been a few days, and I have set the phone in uncooked rice for about 24 hours. I have also used those sonic cleaner apps that claim to push water out of the phone.

There has been definite improvement, but the sound has still yet to return to 100%. I'd say, it's about 50-60%.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience with this phone or other phones you may have owned. I do have an extended warranty with my carrier for just this kind of thing, but it is still an expensive proposition to get a replacement - especially for just the speaker.

I guess my main concern is that a lot of people say in similar circumstances that their speakers come back to life in a matter of hours. I'm just wondering if there is a chance it's just taking longer for my speaker to completely dry out, where there has been improvement.

Thank you in advanced fellow P30 fans :)
You can use a hairdryer set at low warm settings and go over your ports and speakers for 10 minutes should speed the drying process.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The rubbing alcohol has worked wonders! I think I have the speaker back to at least 95%, if not 100%. With my OCD it's hard to judge for sure. lol. Thank you all for the suggestions, but especially Rukbat for spelling out to me why alcohol is what I needed to go with. :D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XavierusKasshh