P40 Pro with GMS - User experiences?

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love my Mate Pro 20 and having initially ruled out getting a phone that doesn't come with GMS, I am so tempted by the P40 Pro.

I've seen links to videos explaining how to integrate GMS and before deciding whether to purchase, I was hoping some users could describe their experiences/share their knowledge particularly with the following:

- Once you have managed to do it successfully, is it a one-off process or will you have to go through similar steps every time there is a Google/Huawei/Android update?
- I would be cloning over from my Mate Pro 20, outside of Google apps, can I expect the majority of my apps e.g. The Athletic, Instagram, betting apps to work?
- Beyond Google Pay, are there any apps which are persistent no-gos? I'm not too fussed about Maps but would want Whatsapp, Instagram, Gmail, eBay, Chrome, YouTube and YT Music/Google Music.
- Are notifications for these apps an issue or have recent methods managed to fix this?
- Does anyone have experience with any of these UK banking apps working - First Direct, Natwest, Starling?
- A bit of an aside but is it worth waiting for the P40 Pro+ due to the camera upgrade?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Following with interest.
I’ve been playing with the idea too after loving the P10, Mate 10 Pro then Mate 20 Pro but cant convince myself to take the plunge. I rely a lot on Google Pay or any kind of tap and pay would do for me tbh and of course banking apps so not having those would be a non starter for me. From reading other posts online I see one of my banking apps work fine (Starling) but my main one (Nationwide) won’t and neither does NatWest. You need to use web apps for those and I’m in no hurry to do that after my Windows Phone days where there were loads of missing apps made up with weblinks on my home screen. Phone Clone will get most of your apps transferred across from your Mate 20 Pro for the ones not available in Huawei app gallery and Google Maps will work but I don’t think Gmail or YouTube will work. WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram etc etc are all fine.

Hopefully someone in here will have 1st hand experience and sideloaded GMS to tell us

scoob05

May 15, 2020
Visit site
i have just recently swapped from P20 Pro to P40 pro. I have not side loaded GMS. To be honest i dont feel i need too either. I have had on software update out of the box, worked as simply as the P20 did. I set up with Phone clone and al my main apps work (even google maps did - i just cant sign in to it nut here we go maps works very well - https://youtu.be/i-mQR67fd_M ). As regards to the apps you mentioned, whats app, Instagram all work fine. Google apps i use via the browser, i just changed to home page to google and signed in as normal so my browser feels the same as before. thinks like photos, drive and you tube. i have just added them as bookmarks on my home screen. I have done the same for my banking. - im loving the phone camera and battery life is unreal

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
i have just recently swapped from P20 Pro to P40 pro. I have not side loaded GMS. To be honest i dont feel i need too either. I have had on software update out of the box, worked as simply as the P20 did. I set up with Phone clone and al my main apps work (even google maps did - i just cant sign in to it nut here we go maps works very well - https://youtu.be/i-mQR67fd_M ). As regards to the apps you mentioned, whats app, Instagram all work fine. Google apps i use via the browser, i just changed to home page to google and signed in as normal so my browser feels the same as before. thinks like photos, drive and you tube. i have just added them as bookmarks on my home screen. I have done the same for my banking. - im loving the phone camera and battery life is unreal

Can you restore your Whatsapp backup without GMS (as I believe it's backed up to Google Drive)?

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes it comes over with phone clone

Thank you for your super helpful posts! I've ordered a P40 Pro and am really excited for it to arrive next week. I'm currently reading around to try and decided to go with or without GMS. Any chance that you would know the answer to the following questions?

1) I currently have a Mate Pro 20, so I would be looking to clone my apps over. My understanding is that I can expect the vast majority of them to copy over (even if not on Huawei's AppGallery) but if I was to go GMS-naked, am I right in thinking that these apps would then never update (unless they are on AppGallery)?

2) Without installing GMS, is there any way of getting Chrome working? I use it as my browser on my tablet and desktop and it's helpful to have that sync so would really ideally like it on my phone.

3) Same as question 2 but regarding Google Suite apps such as Sheets and Docs - any hope in getting them without GMS?

4) I have read some positive reviews regarding BlueMail, is it possible to use this for Gmail accounts without GMS?

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your super helpful posts! I've ordered a P40 Pro and am really excited for it to arrive next week. I'm currently reading around to try and decided to go with or without GMS. Any chance that you would know the answer to the following questions?

1) I currently have a Mate Pro 20, so I would be looking to clone my apps over. My understanding is that I can expect the vast majority of them to copy over (even if not on Huawei's AppGallery) but if I was to go GMS-naked, am I right in thinking that these apps would then never update (unless they are on AppGallery)?

2) Without installing GMS, is there any way of getting Chrome working? I use it as my browser on my tablet and desktop and it's helpful to have that sync so would really ideally like it on my phone.

3) Same as question 2 but regarding Google Suite apps such as Sheets and Docs - any hope in getting them without GMS?

4) I have read some positive reviews regarding BlueMail, is it possible to use this for Gmail accounts without GMS?

Hi I just got a P40 Pro so hopefully this will helo.

1) I phone cloned a majority of my apps and ive recently had my first direct app update itself. Im not saying it will update on every app but im just going by my experience so far. I have been using Petal search as well which has given me a hell of lot more apps!! Honestly its like the play store

2) I haven't used chrome but if it requires GMS it might not work. I have been using the Huawei Browser and I use their Huawei cloud to back things up.

3) I have used google Take out to extact a lot of my data and just been using Microfoft word, excel and powerpoint. With Huawei cloud I log in and access my files that way. I can access this through any desktop / tablet.

4) I will be completely honest I don't use BlueMail I just use the Huawei email. It works the same and has my gmail account on

Hope these help