Live experience with P40 Pro (HMS vs GMS) and more.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
So I was on the fence about buying into the Huawei P40 Pro and I asked some opinions (https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...ould-i-take-plunge-p40-pro-2.html#post6809579), I decided to give it a try and thanks to everyone who helped with that.

Now I am back to tell you my experience and answer any questions anyone might have in my place, so here goes.

I got my phone this weekend (through Three here in the UK) on a contract with unlimited data. Prices have definitely gone up since 2 years ago, but I understand, I got a more "premium" experience from the moment I opened the box. The phone looks beautiful (got the silver one) and it feels really nice in the hand, if I had to described it would be "if velvet were solid".

I quickly brought over my Apps and data and everything else through Huawei's Phone clone, which is way faster than I remember from last time, since my 100GB of data came across in around 10-15 min (kind of impressed already).

After that it was done, I starting using it and I honestly could not tell what was different, it definitely is still android but everything had a "refreshed" look, also talk about "refresh", the screen is GORGEOUS, I find myself just mesmerized by how fluid everything is.

I was able to bring 100% of what I was using on my P20 PRo with GMS onto the P40 PRo, between Phone clone/petal search and now I started using Aptoide (third party app market). I am aware this might not be the case for everyone, but so far I am happy with HMS devices. I still a got 2 weeks to try it and report with any issues I might have encountered.

Let me know if anyone wants to find out more.

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
is adding my gmail email address to huaweis email client easy? As in no issues?

Also what is the default search option if not google? Is it Bing?

garlow

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site

Super easy to add gmail into the email app that the phone comes preinstalled with. Also yes it is Bing! But you can just Bing google if you dont like it ha!

SamRH1

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Sorry just to clarify what I put above... I love everything else about the phone its fantastic but I haven't found a suitable alternative.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site

Yup pretty straight forward. I am using the Yahoo Mail app, there you can add any email (I know it's not 1999, but I still have it :p), just like Gmail or any other generic email app. I get notifications and everything, no issues so far.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Glad you're enjoying it! How good is the camera though!

OH MAN, it's absolutely next level! I am messing around with it to see what's what for now, but honestly with the AI on (Huawei's scene recognition basically) it does everything you want it to and and then some. CANNOT get enough of that ultra-wide lens (my P20 pro didn't have one yet) and it's so detailed (40MP and all). Will take a while to go through everything it can do.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I love mine, how are you finding the GMS missing?

SAME! Good question, I thought I would be way worse at first until I get used to it. But actually, it hasn't been bad at all, I had already weaned myself off of the Google as much as possible and I don't seem to miss it. The most obvious ones would be:

1) GMaps --->even thought I have it downloaded and it can be used, I am using Waze and also slowly trying HereWeGo (from Huawei) and I don't seem to be unable to do anything I would want to.

2) Youtube App ---> I was using Youtube Vanced even before, so no issues (came across with Phone Clone)

3) A large group of apps that Google has, that was just there wasting my storage space and I had never used are: Google App (with updates it was almost 1GB), Assistant - never used, Earth - Never used (but sometimes on desktop for fun), Sheets/Docs (Microsoft)

4) Everything else Google has that everyone has as well like: Calendar/Notes (Keep)/News/Podcasts/Messages (texts)/Translate (using Microsoft), Gboard (always used Swiftkey), Music (never used, only free Spotify).

Might be missing a few, but that should tell you that it wasn't that imporant in the first place. If I find something else, will report here.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
SAME! Good question, I thought I would be way worse at first until I get used to it. But actually, it hasn't been bad at all, I had already weaned myself off of the Google as much as possible and I don't seem to miss it. The most obvious ones would be:

1) GMaps --->even thought I have it downloaded and it can be used, I am using Waze and also slowly trying HereWeGo (from Huawei) and I don't seem to be unable to do anything I would want to.

2) Youtube App ---> I was using Youtube Vanced even before, so no issues (came across with Phone Clone)

3) A large group of apps that Google has, that was just there wasting my storage space and I had never used are: Google App (with updates it was almost 1GB), Assistant - never used, Earth - Never used (but sometimes on desktop for fun), Sheets/Docs (Microsoft)

4) Everything else Google has that everyone has as well like: Calendar/Notes (Keep)/News/Podcasts/Messages (texts)/Translate (using Microsoft), Gboard (always used Swiftkey), Music (never used, only free Spotify).

Might be missing a few, but that should tell you that it wasn't that imporant in the first place. If I find something else, will report here.

Forgot to mention Google Pay, I had it setup, but never used it (mostly using Amex Pay).

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site

100% agree a lot of wasted Google apps on there, I was constantly uninstalling updates

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Had my silver P40 Pro for a week now and it's a beautiful phone. I've come from a P20 Pro, then a Mate 20 Pro now this beauty. I haven't missed Google at all other than I occasionally used Gpay. I still have my Lloyds banking app and use the browser version of Barclays... Tesco Pay+ also works fine. Camera is superb as is the much better Huawei gallery app. I've still got access to Google photos and can manually upload any photos from my phone quite easily. Google maps still works fine for the odd time I need it too. Thought I might miss the GMS services but I've managed to get around it no problem. Delighted with my new handset

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana