Phone recommendation

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. I am looking for some advice on a phone upgrade.
Notes, I absolutely hate my current phone. I actually liked my previous phone (Original Droid Incredible) better.
My issues are that the phone lags so much. I use my phone in landscape more often than portrait. The phone takes a while to swap orientation. Also, when I type in landscape the phone is dog slow. When I type sometimes the phone just freezes up. It eventually catches up, but it is disorienting to type like this.
Lastly, I use my phone when I travel for business. I use two apps simultaneously. Google Maps/Navigation and TuneIn Radio. These apps bring my current phone to its knees. It slows down and heats up. It gets VERY hot. When it gets that hot, it stops charging. So then my batter drains. Also, TuneIn Radio starts to stutter. I have a long flexible cradle. On some rental cars I can get the phone situated in front of a vent. I'll then turn the A/C on to cool the phone down.
It also crashes every now and then. (CM rom crashes much less often than the stock rom)
Lastly, the voice quality sucks. I have trouble hearing people. On the flip side, my wife has a Droid Razr Maxx. (not the HD). That phone is much better all around than mine.
Anyways......I hate this phone. BTW, the problems manifest themselves on different ROMs. The best combo I've had is CM 10.1.2 with the latest Franco Kernel. (I've wiped my phone many times)

So, I'd like to stick with Verizon.
My number one concern is to get a phone that won't bog down so much with running those two apps. Will a Qualcomm S4 based processor (Droid Ultra Maxx) be able to easily handle this, or should I go with the best out there right now? (Snapdragon S600, as I am unaware of any S800 phones on Verizon right now) I am hesitant to go with a GSIV because of the unfavorable experience I've had with my Samsung phone.
I guess what I am looking at right now is HTC One/Droid Ultra Maxx/Moto X. I have an upgraded battery (2100Mah) in my Nexus now and I've not run into battery issues. I charge phone all the time. (In my drive to work, at my desk at work.....) So I don't know that battery life is an issue for me. SD Card isn't either as I don't store video or music on my phone.

I am not 100% sure that I will keep my unlimited data plan. (I know that this might be sacrilege). I average 1.3GB of data/month and my wife is also under 2GB. I am thinking of going family with 6GB. So I am still under contract for a few months. Is Verizon running any sort of promo to entice people off of the unlimited plan?

Sorry to ramble on. But I am ready to throw this Galaxy Nexus out the window.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Well that sucks. I hadn't checked my account in a few months. It looks like my upgrade date was pushed back 4 months. It was Sept 4, and now it is Jan 4. Doing some quick reading, it looks like I missed the friggin cutoff by 4 days. Grrrrrr!!!!
I guess I can keep my unlimited data and buy a phone retail. (Best Buy with 18mos 0%) I don't know if I can keep my current phone another 4-5 mos.

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree, get the s4. I'm on at&t and just got my wife an s4 and I had the unlimited plan but I gave it up also for the 6gb shared plan. I don't k ow about Verizon, but on att when I switched data plans, my speeds are alot faster now.

S4 really is a great phone.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I Def think maybe some of the new druids or HTC one,I'm a phone junky and own the s4,HTC one and experia z out of those three you would think the lowest spec phone the xz would be the slowest with most lag,because lowest specs but it's smoother than my s4 I have issues with lag especially typing and gaming, I know I'm gonna get flamed but it's true,also Imo only my opinion touch wiz is unbearable there all good but the one is my smoothest
Also feel I should add that from what I'm told the last update on Verizon fixed the lag so maybe it's better,but I'd still give my s4 and my experia just to keep my one
Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I played with an S4 at a Verizon store and while not as laggy as my POC Galaxy Nexus there was lag. Also, I've seen many complain about lag on the S4. That in addition to the terrible experience I've had with my Galaxy Nexus makes me very hesitant to get burned by Samsung again;
In addition, there is a very high likelihood that I will install a custom ROM. Most likely CM so the issue of Sense or TouchWiz don't bother me too much.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Missed the cut off? What the heck? Call them and raise hell... You should get the upgrade :)
I am thinking that if I complain a bit AND agree to dump my unlimited data, that they'd give me an "exception". I guess I will wait until Sept 4th and walk into a Verizon corporate store. Which would hopefully have the phones in stock that I am considering by then (HTC One/Droid Ultra MAXX/.....who knows what else.)

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
My wife's s4 has no lag. Its crazy that you and the other poster had lag. Maybe because hers is like 3 days old though.

Let us know if you get the upgrade!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onais