Photon Owner's Comments, Issues, and Reviews

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
[INFO]
Once you are able to get your new Android, please share your Comments, Issues, and Reviews here.
[/INFO] If you prefer a different Android, please post your comments in those forums. See the Forum Guidelines.

Here is some of what the press has to say. (They love the Photon!)

Sprint Motorola Photon 4G review - Part 1 | Android Central
"Oh, Moto. What is this little piece of sexy you've dropped off in front of us? OK, maybe little isn't the right word. We're looking at yet another 4.3-inch black slab smartphone in Sprint's Motorola Photon 4G. And a dual-core phone at that. With 4G Wimax data. And it's relatively light. (Or at least relatively not heavy.)"

Boy Genius Report: Motorola PHOTON 4G review
"The Motorola PHOTON 4G is Motorola’s first real 4G handset, and it’s a winner. It easily trumps Sprint’s other flagship device for the summer, the HTC EVO 3D. From the phone’s styling and feel, to speed and functionality, the PHOTON 4G is one of my favorite Android devices in a long time, and easily my favorite smartphone that Sprint currently offers..."

Motorola Photon 4G Review | Android Community
"What you’ve got here is a solid piece of hardware in the handset tied to some well thought out docks with software and functionality that make this the most full dual-core package on the market today. NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor is running the show here, so you know you’re in for the slickest and smoothest ride on the market – meanwhile Motorola’s newest iteration of their custom user interface isn’t something we’re going to get rid of if we choose to root the device later on, if we can, in fact, we’re impressed! Motorola’s here created their greatest vision to date, complete with one of the most excellent camera / gallery combos on a handset today plus a set of nice new icons for your basic apps across the board to boot."

PCWorld: Motorola Photon 4G Review: A Phone That Mixes Business With Pleasure
"Of all the Motorola phones we've seen this year, the Photon is definitely the best of the pack. The design is one-of-a-kind, and the Tegra 2 processor paired with Sprint's 4G network is hard to beat."

Laptop Magazine: Motorola Photon 4G Reviewed: Work and Play Powerhouse
"The Motorola Photon 4G is one powerful and versatile smartphone, boasting a first-rate industrial design, brilliant display, excellent gaming performance, and a sharp (albeit sluggish) camera. The HDMI mirroring works smoothly, and those looking for desktop-like functionality can spring for the HD Station dock. Mobile professionals will appreciate the global roaming capability--though not the cost of roaming--as well as the Exchange support and security features."

Motorola PHOTON 4G Review - SlashGear
"For what you pay for this is an extremely powerful and versatile phone. You can do a lot more than just text and play Angry Birds with this. You can browse the web and watch movies on your 56″ HDTV, use it for an alarm clock with that fancy kickstand and more. With a slightly unique design it will stand out in the crowd and you’ll love showing it off. Once you set up the HD Dock and get everything dialed in everything works pretty great, and there is no shortage of geek appeal. "

Last edited:

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Photon Owners: Concerns and Issues

Motorola Photon 4G Owners: Please share your concerns and issues. Our Advisors, Moderators, and other members will be happy to help you.

Per the Forum Guidelines, if you prefer other phones, please post your comments in those forums. This forum is for Photon owners.
Does anyone know if the Photon will include "inductive (wireless) charging" similar to the TouchStone?

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I plan to purchase the Photon as soon as it becomes available on my Sprint 4g network.

4aks

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if the Photon will include "inductive (wireless) charging" similar to the TouchStone?

I kinda doubt it'll be a regular feature. Though I also expect it to work fine with those inductive 'power mats' that are being sold 3rd party - just not a slick magnetic setup like the Treo

Supposedly Motorola will have some sort of docking solution , haven't seen it yet

Reactions: fred1955

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site

My concern is that the Photon will not CDMA800 SMR support. If not, it's probably an Evo 3D or maybe the Samsung Within for me.

Reactions: fred1955

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

My concern is that the Photon will not CDMA800 SMR support. If not, it's probably an Evo 3D or maybe the Samsung Within for me.

I have this concern, too. However, anything I read on the transition is it might take a couple of years, and it sounds like the LTE transition would happen around the same time, too, and no current Sprint phone works on LTE. So I figure by the time it is an issue, not having LTE will also be a desire, too.

Beach_Head

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site

My concern is that it won't be quad-band GSM, which means that I won't be able to use it in most of the countries I travel to...

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have this concern, too. However, anything I read on the transition is it might take a couple of years, and it sounds like the LTE transition would happen around the same time, too, and no current Sprint phone works on LTE. So I figure by the time it is an issue, not having LTE will also be a desire, too.

As I understand it the full deployment of Network Vision is indeed supposed to take a few years to complete. However, it's supposed to begin this year. As is usually the case, it's supposed to begin in the larger markets and filter down to the smaller markets. I live in a pretty fair sized market. As such, this is one of those things that I'd rather have and not need than want and not have, especially since HTC, LG and Samsung have already seen fit to start integrating CDMA800 ESMR band functionality into their newest handsets. No reason for Moto not to do the same.

As for LTE, I'll worry about that once it's "officially" on the radar.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

My biggest concern with this phone now is that no one seems to know whether or not it has the PenTile screen of the Droid X2 and other Moto phones. The hands-on write-ups and vids following its announcement don't make mention of it, and some even claim it's the best screen they've seen on a Motorola phone, so maybe we'll dodge the PenTile bullet.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I'll chime in here and ask if anyone knows if the Photon is sporting "Gorrila Glass™ screen?

I don't remember reading it on any spec sheets....

....really looking forward to trying out this phone.... :)

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll chime in here and ask if anyone knows if the Photon is sporting "Gorrila Glass? screen?

I don't remember reading it on any spec sheets....

....really looking forward to trying out this phone.... :)

Gorilla glass has been confirmed. In fact it has two layers of it. Supposed to drastically cut down glare for direct viewing in sunlight

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Gorilla glass has been confirmed. In fact it has two layers of it. Supposed to drastically cut down glare for direct viewing in sunlight

That's great, thanks for the comfirmation.

I keep hearing that "August 2nd is fast upon us." (debt limit stuff...),

....but, man, July 31st is taking FOREVER!!! ;-) :D

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Photon Owner's Thoughts, Comments, and Reviews

i bought one off a guy on friday. its scheduled to arrive monday or tuesday. ill give my thoughts then!

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Is the qHD display the same pentile version that the atrix has? How does the photons display compare to the e3d display?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't think anyone's done a side-by-side comparison of the two screens yet. I've never read any negatives about HTC's qHD screens. The Evo 3D has the added complication of the glasses-less 3D, which does affect the screen quality slightly (compared to say the HTC Sensation, which is practically the same phone as the 3D minus the 3D).

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Photon Owner's Thoughts, Comments, and Reviews

just received the phone in the mail. will update with pics in a few mins!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter