Pixel 2 Always On Display - are you using it?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Since OLED technology uses no energy for black areas and since the area used for AOD information is such a small percentage of the screen, I can detect no difference in battery usage with it ON or OFF. So I choose ON.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it as it is so easy to just pick it up and get the time and info that way. I should probably at least try it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I notice most are saying there is no battery hit. I decided to try it yesterday and turned it on in the morning. Before I had raise to wake and double tap enabled to see the notifications which works well. I carry it in my pocket and pulling it out wakes it up anyway, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a good feature. So before bed I always do my once a day charge before turning out the lights. My pixel fully charged sits on my dresser top over nite and always loses a solid 7% . I listen to an hour of white noise as I drift off so that is part of it but the rest is just being on standby and doing it's thing. I always wake up to 93% power left after 8 hours in bed. So with the AOD on I lost an additional 7% which left me at 86% after my 8 hour nap. This is with the dark room mode set as well so the on screen clock is much dimmer. I'm guess it would have been alot worse on battery if I had left it normal brightness.
In conclusion to my little test this feature is not for me, not just because it took 7% battery life away from my day but because it just isn't something I need with raise to wake and double tap fully functional. Not cutting it down, just not for me. I've been meaning to try it and actually this thread drove me to it as it made me think I was maybe missing something, I wasn't. Glad the option is there for those that like to use it and as always YMMV.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I always put my phone on the charger when I go to bed and start the day with a fully charged phone. I have AOD, Bluetooth, wifi on all the time and with my use my Pixel 2 XL always lasts all day. The same with most of my past phones, except the Note 5 I had before my Pixel XL. I don't worry about battery life.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've always had AOD enabled (got to used to it on my S7) and I keep Now Playing enabled as well. I installed an app called Now Playing List which will log it as well as geotag it if you want. I charge it up to 95-98% in the morning (5:30am) and by the end of the day I'm still at about 30% (11pm). That's also including having Waze open for my morning and evening commute which is able 20 mins each and I leave Bluetooth and Wifi on. GPS set to battery saver unless I'm using navigation.

AOD is useful to me but it'd be a heck of a lot more useful if they'd add a freaking battery level to it so I don't have to turn on my screen to check the battery...

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I've always had AOD enabled (got to used to it on my S7) and I keep Now Playing enabled as well. I installed an app called Now Playing List which will log it as well as geotag it if you want. I charge it up to 95-98% in the morning (5:30am) and by the end of the day I'm still at about 30% (11pm). That's also including having Waze open for my morning and evening commute which is able 20 mins each and I leave Bluetooth and Wifi on. GPS set to battery saver unless I'm using navigation.

AOD is useful to me but it'd be a heck of a lot more useful if they'd add a freaking battery level to it so I don't have to turn on my screen to check the battery...
Great news about the Android P preview... % is on the AOD.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
yes, still waiting for Google to improve it though, the ability to schedule it for example is still missing.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I love it, open one eye, check to see how many minutes before my alarm goes off, close my eyes and then count the seconds. check again, 13 seconds later, and repeat until the gentle sounds wake me up from my wakefulness.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I notice most are saying there is no battery hit. I decided to try it yesterday and turned it on in the morning. Before I had raise to wake and double tap enabled to see the notifications which works well. I carry it in my pocket and pulling it out wakes it up anyway, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a good feature. So before bed I always do my once a day charge before turning out the lights. My pixel fully charged sits on my dresser top over nite and always loses a solid 7% . I listen to an hour of white noise as I drift off so that is part of it but the rest is just being on standby and doing it's thing. I always wake up to 93% power left after 8 hours in bed. So with the AOD on I lost an additional 7% which left me at 86% after my 8 hour nap. This is with the dark room mode set as well so the on screen clock is much dimmer. I'm guess it would have been alot worse on battery if I had left it normal brightness.
In conclusion to my little test this feature is not for me, not just because it took 7% battery life away from my day but because it just isn't something I need with raise to wake and double tap fully functional. Not cutting it down, just not for me. I've been meaning to try it and actually this thread drove me to it as it made me think I was maybe missing something, I wasn't. Glad the option is there for those that like to use it and as always YMMV.

I was using my phone for about a half hour before reading your post mostly playing a game and now on Android Central. I'm at 92 percent and I have my AOD active.

lacough

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

There is an app called "battery active display" that puts the batter level on your lock screen!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.edragone.batteryactive

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I use it. I went to bed last night at 10:30 with 40% battery, woke up at 9:10 with 34% battery. After using several phones with aod, I have a hard time not using it. It's just too convenient. Now if it was eating major battery I'd turn it off.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I was using my phone for about a half hour before reading your post mostly playing a game and now on Android Central. I'm at 92 percent and I have my AOD active.

It's not a huge draw on power but there is some certainly. I just prefer having a black screen till I decide to wake it up. My dresser where the phone sits in a stand facing me is about 6 feet from my head as I sleep and I can't read the AOD from that distance if I wake up, takes awhile to focus LOL. If I need to know the time I just ask the google girl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201