Pixel 2 Software Update Support Coming to OG Pixel?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping our original pixels will get 3 years of major OS updates like the P2 is getting. The evil empire does a much better job supporting legacy devices with IOS updates. Pains me to say that.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Some have argued that older iPhones tend to be horrible after some updates and don't get any better. It is cool that many, if not all, iPhones get updated. Would be nice if all Android OEMs did that too.

However, I am not counting on the 1st gen Pixel to get the same treatment.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't expect more than 2 years of official updates and 3 years of security​ patches. Anything beyond that would be more than Google committed to with the Pixel/ XL. Then there's custom ROMs that will still support the Pixel/XL after major updates have ended. My old Nexus 6 is currently running 8.0 custom ROM.

WebOS-Refugee

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
Google's inconsistency and unpredictability around these update cycles and the kinds of updates they're willing to let flow to older phones is what prompted me to move over to iOS about a week and a half ago (I made the move to the iphone 8 plus). It drove me nuts that my Nexus 6p wasn't getting basic updates like Night Mode and the Pixel launcher (including notification badges in Oreo) that were held in reserve as Pixel exclusives. I also found that OS updates were completely scattershot and unpredictable to the point where I was regularly going through the manual OTA download process for everything from monthly security updates to major platform updates.

I'm keeping a running list of differences between the platforms that I keep encountering (you don't realize it until you've been in the other ecosystem for a few days). The latest I noticed on a roadtrip over the weekend is the fact that I can't use Smart Lock to have the iphone stay unlocked while it's connected to bluetooth in the car. I'm also missing the integration of LastPass with the OS that Android allows. Siri's better than she used to be, but still way behind Google Assistant. I could go on.

We're deep into the Google ecosystem in our house with a Google Home, multiple chromecast video and audio devices, a YouTube TV subscription (all of which work just fine with iOS), and my son still has a Nexus 6. We'll see if I stick with iPhone, but for now the speed & smoothness of the OS; and the long, super-reliable, and consistent battery life are making the switch worthwhile. Wireless charging is nice to have again (we use it for my son's N6, so we have a couple of Tylt chargers in the house), and I'm enjoying having rapid charging with the USB-C to lightning port cable and 29w USB-C charger.

I'm really enjoying keeping up with Android via the forums, so I hope I won't get too many gibes for making the switch. At the end of the day I'm way more into Google's ecosystem than I'll ever by into Apple's, but I hate feeling completely tied to either one.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Google's inconsistency and unpredictability around these update cycles and the kinds of updates they're willing to let flow to older phones is what prompted me to move over to iOS about a week and a half ago (I made the move to the iphone 8 plus). It drove me nuts that my Nexus 6p wasn't getting basic updates like Night Mode and the Pixel launcher (including notification badges in Oreo) that were held in reserve as Pixel exclusives. I also found that OS updates were completely scattershot and unpredictable to the point where I was regularly going through the manual OTA download process for everything from monthly security updates to major platform updates.

I'm keeping a running list of differences between the platforms that I keep encountering (you don't realize it until you've been in the other ecosystem for a few days). The latest I noticed on a roadtrip over the weekend is the fact that I can't use Smart Lock to have the iphone stay unlocked while it's connected to bluetooth in the car. I'm also missing the integration of LastPass with the OS that Android allows. Siri's better than she used to be, but still way behind Google Assistant. I could go on.

We're deep into the Google ecosystem in our house with a Google Home, multiple chromecast video and audio devices, a YouTube TV subscription (all of which work just fine with iOS), and my son still has a Nexus 6. We'll see if I stick with iPhone, but for now the speed & smoothness of the OS; and the long, super-reliable, and consistent battery life are making the switch worthwhile. Wireless charging is nice to have again (we use it for my son's N6, so we have a couple of Tylt chargers in the house), and I'm enjoying having rapid charging with the USB-C to lightning port cable and 29w USB-C charger.

I'm really enjoying keeping up with Android via the forums, so I hope I won't get too many gibes for making the switch. At the end of the day I'm way more into Google's ecosystem than I'll ever by into Apple's, but I hate feeling completely tied to either one.

Philistine!! ... Traitor!! ... Turncoat!! Lol!! Jk... Jk .. :D

Jokes aside, you know Android users just want people to be happy with their tech. I, for one, am always interested in hearing about the experiences with either people who try iOS or are dual users. Apple makes some great products and being in the Google ecosystem really affords a lot of flexibility with hardware choices. Be good to hear your approach with the cult...er... Apple. ;)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering of the always on display will make it's way to the original pixels?
Hope so... There's no reason not to. Google has backported features provided the hardware supports it... Like fps gestures to the 5X/6P. Might be a little bit.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Anybody know if the AOD is part of the P2 launcher or is it baked into the fw? It is not part of 8.0 otherwise the original would have it already I guess?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
How do you figure that? Launched on Sep 29, 2015. I upgraded my old one to Oreo late Aug 2017 before I sold it. It's not going to get Android P. Sounds like a 2 year cycle to me.