Pixel 2 XL or LG V30?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the razor dongle and it imo sounds noticeably better than the google one. ymmv

Oh I see you asked about the V30 audio. It's one of the best out there built into a phone. Only drawback is they limit the gain for low impedance stuff so you don't get full output. In some cases you don't need max output but it's better on some headphones if you have it.

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Just updating the thread... Decided to go with the Pixel 2 XL with 128 gb... With the latest promotion from Verizon, the price difference between the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL was the same (ok..$9.99 difference), but the turning point for me was LG's lack of updating the OS. Presently, using a V10 still on Android 6.0...still do not understand why they never updated it to 7.0...if my V10 was on 7.0, I would not be shopping around for a new device. At least with the Pixel, I will get three years of OS updates... Sorry LG!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just updating the thread... Decided to go with the Pixel 2 XL with 128 gb... With the latest promotion from Verizon, the price difference between the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL was the same (ok..$9.99 difference), but the turning point for me was LG's lack of updating the OS. Presently, using a V10 still on Android 6.0...still do not understand why they never updated it to 7.0...if my V10 was on 7.0, I would not be shopping around for a new device. At least with the Pixel, I will get three years of OS updates... Sorry LG!

Great choice

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So glad you landed on a decision! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it as well. Enjoy your Pixel 2 XL! I don't blame you with regards to the updates - that's one reason why I chose the Pixel 2, as well. What colour did you get?

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
So glad you landed on a decision! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it as well. Enjoy your Pixel 2 XL! I don't blame you with regards to the updates - that's one reason why I chose the Pixel 2, as well. What colour did you get?
Just black..

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have honestly flipped back and forth on this several times but have finally (I think) landed on the P2XL and have put the V30 on eBay.

Have said elsewhere that the lack of wireless charging does bother me on the 2XL, lack of SD card does too but less so and imo the pixel is bigger than it needs to be so the V30 is a nicer device in the hand. I think though the lag vs the pixel in the system menus has grated more and more and also I have not been blown away by the quad dac (imo the 24 bit razer one sounds just as good with semi decent headphones) and Bluetooth audio on the V30 is (imo) really not very good at all.

I think though the fact that we are at Oreo release date + 6 months now and still no sign of oreo on the V30 is an issue, I know it will arrive eventually but that will be it when it does and I doubt we will see P until Feb/March 2019. Samsung are crushing them sales wise but Samsung are also terrible at updates and imo there is an opportunity for someone like LG to go vanilla and focus on getting updates out quickly

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have honestly flipped back and forth on this several times but have finally (I think) landed on the P2XL and have put the V30 on eBay.

Have said elsewhere that the lack of wireless charging does bother me on the 2XL, lack of SD card does too but less so and imo the pixel is bigger than it needs to be so the V30 is a nicer device in the hand. I think though the lag vs the pixel in the system menus has grated more and more and also I have not been blown away by the quad dac (imo the 24 bit razer one sounds just as good with semi decent headphones) and Bluetooth audio on the V30 is (imo) really not very good at all.

I think though the fact that we are at Oreo release date + 6 months now and still no sign of oreo on the V30 is an issue, I know it will arrive eventually but that will be it when it does and I doubt we will see P until Feb/March 2019. Samsung are crushing them sales wise but Samsung are also terrible at updates and imo there is an opportunity for someone like LG to go vanilla and focus on getting updates out quickly

I agree that the V30 feels much nicer in the hand than the Pixel 2 XL. I've held both and liked both, but the V30 did fit better in my small hands.

And yes, the fact that the V30 hasn't gotten Oreo yet is a bit upsetting. It's a stellar smartphone so hopefully they get Oreo soon; as it kind of puts a bit of a damper on the flagship for some users, IMO.

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the V30 feels much nicer in the hand than the Pixel 2 XL. I've held both and liked both, but the V30 did fit better in my small hands.

And yes, the fact that the V30 hasn't gotten Oreo yet is a bit upsetting. It's a stellar smartphone so hopefully they get Oreo soon; as it kind of puts a bit of a damper on the flagship for some users, IMO.
As I stated previously in this thread, the V30 feels great in the hand, the DAC is a plus along with the Headphone jack, video editing is superior on the V30 and SD card is a plus, but the issue of not receiving timely OS updates outweighs the other items. In the case of my V10, if LG was not going to update it to Android 7.0, they should be upfront with it and not string consumers along with the possibility of getting it. Hopefully, they will make changes with the new direction that they are taking!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just don't trust LG. After all their issues -- and having to deal with one for my buddy (his V20 camera died) it just scares me way too much. For that reason I am very cautious about spending any money on their phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me, there are no features on the V30 that I care about where I'd choose the V30 over the Pixel 2/2 XL.

And I don't trust LG. Anecdotal evidence, my brother and my cousin have both had recent LG devices that have failed with bootloop-like symptoms.

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Update... Loving the Pixel 2 XL, so far... Upgrade from my V10... Battery life is fantastic even with the phone on high location mode... Will keep you posted

kpo6969

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
Had a V20 and had the same question. Went pixel 2 (non-XL) and now use V20 as my music / video player. No dongle needed and great DAC.
Updates and support were the deciding factors for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Had a V20 and had the same question. Went pixel 2 (non-XL) and now use V20 as my music / video player. No dongle needed and great DAC.
Updates and support were the deciding factors for me.

I have the 2XL and kept the V20 because resale value is lousy. I keep it as a music player also but honestly the sound from the dongle is pretty good and I use the Pixel most of the time. It's even better with the HTC dongle which I purchased. Dying to try the Razer don't let because that one is supposed to be even better.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The resale value on both the v30 and 2xl is lousy. I still have both phones as all I’ve had for both is silly offers. Honestly think in the uk I’d be lucky to get 400 for the v30 and 500 for the 2xl

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Returned my V20 (about the only phone I had that I really disliked - mainly due to the firmware arrangement). I don't need the DAC - unless someone has replacement ears (and I used to be able to hear if a TV's horizontal sync was locked in - that's hearing a tiny notch on a 15KHz sawtooth), I don't mind the dongle (not that I use it that often - most of my listening is through the car audio using Bluetooth.

But the battery life is great. Three years of Android updates. Security patches within a day or 2. Oh, I miss the replaceable battery (and using it for 4 years will probably get me out to needing a replacement). And the SD card (pop the card into the PC, manipulate files, pop the card back in the phone - a lot faster than USB - and since my PC is stuck on USB 3.0, that means 2.0 speeds for updates). But small things. (And the Pixel 2 is a lot smaller than my old Note 3, which I needed at the time.)

No complaints, except that I haven't rooted it yet - and I'm going to wait a little while for that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The resale value on both the v30 and 2xl is lousy. I still have both phones as all I’ve had for both is silly offers. Honestly think in the uk I’d be lucky to get 400 for the v30 and 500 for the 2xl

Not sure if this is in relation to my post but i was referring to resale value on the V20.
By the way the resale value here in the US based on Swappa is pretty good here and higher than the V30. The prices in the screenshot are for the Verizon version...unlocked should be slightly higher.

Attachments

• 18120.jpg
    18120.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 47