Pixel 2 XL screen color

dieselhazza

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I found a app that I actually love using as it gave me the option to adjust color Temperature which I was looking for a while. I don't like the yellowish tint so I was able to make it white.
Now I love using the screen as it reduced the black smearing too.

App is called screen balance. If anyone wants to adjust color temperature this is the app to have.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I
I found a app that I actually love using as it gave me the option to adjust color Temperature which I was looking for a while. I don't like the yellowish tint so I was able to make it white.
Now I love using the screen as it reduced the black smearing too.

App is called screen balance. If anyone wants to adjust color temperature this is the app to have.
Do you have a play store link?

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm sceptical about this app working on Android P. Judging by some of the reviews on the Play store, it sounds like the app works by drawing over apps like an overlay.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I do frequently calibrate my PC screens as that's where I do my color photography work. The only thing I can do with my phone is compare the same image with an accurately color calibrated PC screen. Right now my Pixel 2 XL screen is close enough that I'm ok with it. Fully color calibrated my phone isn't and I know of no way to actually color calibrate the Pixel phone. Apparently this app allows one to adjust color temperature. That's something not available on the stock Pixel.

OK, I'll take a look at it and tell you what I think.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that it has over 100,000 downloads.
Root isn't needed as I don't care to root my Pixel 2 XL.
I've downloaded it and I'll report back.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The first thing I did was pay the author his $2.50 for the Pro version.
If everybody that downloads it buys the Pro version, he's made a quarter of a million dollars!

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
With a Delta-E of 0.26 in natural mode and a color temperature measured at 6800K, the Pixel 2 XL shouldn't require a whole lot of manual adjustment. It's slightly warmer than perfect but the color profile that it ships with is close enough to perfect to make the differences nearly imperceptible.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
With a Delta-E of 0.26 in natural mode and a color temperature measured at 6800K, the Pixel 2 XL shouldn't require a whole lot of manual adjustment. It's slightly warmer than perfect but the color profile that it ships with is close enough to perfect to make the differences nearly imperceptible.

I doubt that the two numbers you quote are compatible. What point of the colour space is the delta-E measured at?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I doubt that the two numbers you quote are compatible. What point of the colour space is the delta-E measured at?

"The Pixel 2 XL's 6-inch screen sports a sharper, 2880 x 1440-pixel resolution. This panel registered a slightly lower 130 percent of the color gamut, but its colors are just about as accurate on paper. The Pixel 2 XL's display scored 0.26 on the Delta-E error test (0 is perfect), and the Pixel 2 hit 0.29." https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-review,review-4755.html

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've finished my analysis and I've learned two very important things.

1. The Screen Balance app uses a technically inaccurate calibration-by-eye technique. When attempting to set a white balance by eye, I would make only small adjustments, indicating that white balance on my Pixel 2 XL was already close to being optimal. There is really no way to make any accurate color or white balance settings. Its just purely guessing at settings. For me the Screen Balance app has very little value. I've uninstalled it.

The real problem for me was that color accuracy was only OK on my Pixel 2 XL. It was really quite obvious that when comparing the same photos with my color calibrated PC screen, there was enough of a difference to not have any confidence in my Pixel 2 XL color accuracy.

2. The most important thing I learned was that my Pantone X-Rite i1 Colorimeter has an Android app that works with my Pixel 2 XL. I simply use the small USB C to USB adapter that comes with my Pixel for the connection. The Pantone Android app is called "ColorTRUE" and is available on the Google Play Store. I've now calibrated my Pixel 2 XL to "exactly" match my PC screens. The calibration is automated and takes about 6 minutes to complete.

There is now absolutely no difference to my eyes when comparing the same image on my color calibrated PC and on my color calibrated Pixel 2 XL. I couldn't be more pleased!

If anyone is interested in having true color accuracy on your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, on your PC, or on any other supported Android or IOS device, the price of the Pantone X-Rite i1 Display Pro Colorimeter on Amazon is $258.

Had it not been for you guys I would not have learned that my Pantone X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter could also be used to accurately color calibrate my Pixel 2 XL. Thank you!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've finished my analysis and I've learned two very important things.

1. The Screen Balance app uses a technically inaccurate calibration-by-eye technique. When attempting to set a white balance by eye, I would make only small adjustments, indicating that white balance on my Pixel 2 XL was already close to being optimal. There is really no way to make any accurate color or white balance settings. Its just purely guessing at settings. For me the Screen Balance app has very little value. I've uninstalled it.

The real problem for me was that color accuracy was only OK on my Pixel 2 XL. It was really quite obvious that when comparing the same photos with my color calibrated PC screen, there was enough of a difference to not have any confidence in my Pixel 2 XL color accuracy.

2. The most important thing I learned was that my Pantone X-Rite i1 Colorimeter has an Android app that works with my Pixel 2 XL. I simply use the small USB C to USB adapter that comes with my Pixel for the connection. The Pantone Android app is called "ColorTRUE" and is available on the Google Play Store. I've now calibrated my Pixel 2 XL to "exactly" match my PC screens. The calibration is automated and takes about 6 minutes to complete.

There is now absolutely no difference to my eyes when comparing the same image on my color calibrated PC and on my color calibrated Pixel 2 XL. I couldn't be more pleased!

If anyone is interested in having true color accuracy on your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, on your PC, or on any other supported Android or IOS device, the price of the Pantone X-Rite i1 Display Pro Colorimeter on Amazon is $258.

Had it not been for you guys I would not have learned that my Pantone X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter could also be used to accurately color calibrate my Pixel 2 XL. Thank you!

I appreciate shared knowledge as much as the next nerd but this is too much for me.

🤣🤣🤣

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
There is really no way to make any accurate color or white balance settings. Its just purely guessing at settings. For me the Screen Balance app has very little value. I've uninstalled it.
Thanks for the assessment and information. But seeing as I was too cheap to shell out $2.50 for the Pro add-ons, I guess I'll pass on the colorimeter, too. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24