Pixel 3 OOBE - Beware!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To be honest... using Verizon is terrifying. -- Fixed your statement for you :)

Na they are okay as a service provider -- that is what they do. Trying to branch into something like backup is where it is scary since they don't know that :p.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow, interesting responses. Typically, I have purchased my Android phones from Verizon but I don't like the branding - it takes longer to start, brands me as an American (logo printed on case and onscreen at start) and when traveling I use foreign SIM cards, so I get to watch my phone chide me that my SIM card is not from Verizon. So I purchased the unlocked phone from Google (delivered from Ingram Micro 30 miles away). I wonder if the VZW branded phones do allow transfer from Oreo to P3? And, yes, I did read the Google web support info, which apparently has not even been updated for the P3. On the plus side, my callback from Google took just one minute.

I have a Verizon bought Pixel 2 (Pixel 3 will be here today) and it doesn't have any Verizon branding on the case or startup screen. It does says Verizon Wireless in the upper left corner of the lockscreen, but that's just showing what network it's currently on.

That's the problem with Google's deal with Verizon. Everyone assumes it's like the old days where carrier branded phones were last to get updates and they had extra carrier bloat. That's not the case with the Pixels. They get updates at the same time as the unlocked, at startup a few carrier specific apps are installed (but all can be deleted), and it will work on any carrier so long as the phone is paid off or paid in full at the start. Which makes sense because they wouldn't allow you to be on other carrier's networks if you still owed Verizon money. But otherwise they're identical to the one bought at the carrier store. The bootloader is locked, but that's only an issue if you plan to root or install custom ROMs.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Na they are okay as a service provider -- that is what they do. Trying to branch into something like backup is where it is scary since they don't know that :p.

I wouldn't go that far. I've noticed in the last few years that some of their CSRs were giving me bad info that had I followed it would've cost me a lot of money. And I don't think it was an honest mistake on their part.

The most recent was when I called to find out about their free Pixel Stand offer. The rep was aggressively trying to get me to sign up for the BOGO deal. I repeatedly told her I didn't need a second phone, but she persisted. She was telling me that I didn't have to add a new line, that I only had to activate the 2nd phone on the line for a couple minutes and that I'd still get the monthly bill credits, and that I could sell the 2nd phone and essentially get both phones for free. She went so far as to taunt me saying "Why wouldn't you want to get something for free?". The problem was , all of the statements I listed above were false. To get the deal, you HAD to add a new line of service, and that phone had to be activated on said line and HAD to be active on that line for a full 24 months to get all the bill credits to get the 2nd phone for free.

Had I taken the bait, I would've had to pay full price for both phones and (since I wouldn't have been able to sell the second device for full price since it would've already been activated on a line and therefore used) I would've lost money on the deal, maybe a lot of money. I'm sorry but that's a bait and switch scenario if I've ever heard one and a completely shady way if doing business. They always thank me for being a customer since 2001, and apparently the way they thank me is to try and screw me over.

I stay at Verizon because it's the only decent service in my area, but since they started this bill credit crap for their offers, I won't have anything to do with that BS. They've turned into the used car salesmen of the carrier world as far as I'm concerned.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far. I've noticed in the last few years that some of their CSRs were giving me bad info that had I followed it would've cost me a lot of money. And I don't think that was a mistake.

The most recent was when I called to find out about their free Pixel Stand offer. The rep was aggressively trying to get me to sign up for the BOGO deal. I repeatedly told her I didn't need a second phone, but she persisted. She was telling me that I didn't have to add a new line, that I only had to activate the 2nd phone on the line for a couple minutes and that I'd still get the monthly bill credits, and that I could sell the 2nd phone and essentially get both phones for free. She went so far as to taunt me saying "Why wouldn't you want to get something for free?". The problem was , all of the statements I listed above were false. To get the deal, you HAD to add a new line of service, and that phone had to be activated on said line and HAD to be active on that line for a full 24 months to get all the bill credits to get the 2nd phone for free.

Had I taken the bait, it I would've had to pay full price for both phones and (since I wouldn't have been able to sell the second device for full price since it would've already been activated on a line and therefore used) I would've lost money on the deal, maybe a lot of money. I'm sorry but that's a bait and switch scenario if I've ever heard one and a completely shady way if doing business. They always thank me for being a customer since 2001, and apparently the way they thank me is to try and screw me over.

I am not sure what your post has to do with mine lol. I said they are there to be an ISP. That is what they do.

I stay at Verizon because it's the only decent service in my area, but since they started this bill credit crap for their offers, I won't have anything to do with that BS. They've turned into the used car salesmen of the carrier world as far as I'm concerned.

I would get used to it. All carriers do it. Verizon actually was following the lead of others on this one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agreed as a service provider they are fine, but they want to be like Apple, Google and other companies. Try to be cool and develop **** services, crap up poor OEMs firmware since the OEMs don't have a choice etc. Not blaming Verizon alone and same applies to other ISPs. I get from their point of view that they want to be relevant in the next era etc but they just end up screwing the user experience.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
To be honest... using Verizon for any sort of backup is terrifying.

The only thing I use them for when setting up a new phone or a FDR is to retrieve messages from the last 90 days using their messages app. The I delete or switch back to the stock app. Works quite well without having to do a backup.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I use them for when setting up a new phone or a FDR is to retrieve messages from the last 90 days using their messages app. The I delete or switch back to the stock app. Works quite well without having to do a backup.

I just use Pulse SMS. Actively backs up all the conversations so I can just login and go.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon bought Pixel 2 (Pixel 3 will be here today) and it doesn't have any Verizon branding on the case or startup screen. It does says Verizon Wireless in the upper left corner of the lockscreen, but that's just showing what network it's currently on.

That's the problem with Google's deal with Verizon. Everyone assumes it's like the old days where carrier branded phones were last to get updates and they had extra carrier bloat. That's not the case with the Pixels. They get updates at the same time as the unlocked, at startup a few carrier specific apps are installed (but all can be deleted), and it will work on any carrier so long as the phone is paid off or paid in full at the start. Which makes sense because they wouldn't allow you to be on other carrier's networks if you still owed Verizon money. But otherwise they're identical to the one bought at the carrier store. The bootloader is locked, but that's only an issue if you plan to root or install custom ROMs.

While I agree with everything you're saying if I'm buying a Google phone out right there's little reason for me to get it from Verizon even if it's the Verizon model. There is one plus though if it matters. You can get your phone replaced through Verizon or Google if you are doing a warranty replacement. You stand a better chance of getting a new though if you to through Google for service. If you don't buy from Google you don't have the option to get a replacement first before sending back the exchange.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure what your post has to do with mine lol. I said they are there to be an ISP. That is what they do.

I would get used to it. All carriers do it. Verizon actually was following the lead of others on this one.

Part of being an ISP is also good customer service. The network service they offer is good, but everything else associated with it, sales, customer service, etc, is not. It would be like saying a mechanic shop is great, when they lie to you to try and force you to approve unnecessary repairs. A lot of shops might do that, but that doesn't make them a good shop. Sure, the work they do is good, but it's cancelled out when they bait and switch you into unnecessary work. That was my point.

But apparently you were only focused on the singular aspect of the network and not their business practices. I didn't get that from your original statement, my bad.

As for bill credits, while Verizon may be following other carriers' lead on that, there's still no excuse to lie about the terms of the offer to try and milk me for more money. They could still have bill credits and and treat the customer honestly. And that's my problem with them using bill credits, not the general idea of them (although I'm not for them doing it) but the fact that each CSR has a different take on what is and isn't allowed. Either they have no training at all on the subject, or they do and are making a conscious decision to lie to pad their commissions. Neither is a good scenario.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with everything you're saying if I'm buying a Google phone out right there's little reason for me to get it from Verizon even if it's the Verizon model. There is one plus though if it matters. You can get your phone replaced through Verizon or Google if you are doing a warranty replacement. You stand a better chance of getting a new though if you to through Google for service. If you don't buy from Google you don't have the option to get a replacement first before sending back the exchange.

You can get an advance replacement if you let them charge your card for the replacement (which is refunded after they get your old device).

But in this case, the reasons I went Verizon had more to do with their expected shipping dates were sooner for me (Google cancelled my original order by mistake and it was 3 hrs after pre-orders opened, the new ship date would've been around 10/25) and the free Pixel Stand offer. Otherwise I was all set to buy from Google this year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Part of being an ISP is also good customer service. The network service they offer is good, but everything else associated with it, sales, customer service, etc, is not. It would be like saying a mechanic shop is great, when they lie to you to try and force you to approve unnecessary repairs. A lot of shops might do that, but that doesn't make them a good shop. Sure, the work they do is good, but it's cancelled out when they bait and switch you into unnecessary work. That was my point.

But apparently you were only focused on the singular aspect of the network and not their business practices. I didn't get that from your original statement, my bad.

As for bill credits, while Verizon may be following other carriers' lead on that, there's still no excuse to lie about the terms of the offer to try and milk me for more money. They could still have bill credits and and treat the customer honestly. And that's my problem with them using bill credits, not the general idea of them (although I'm not for them doing it) but the fact that each CSR has a different take on what is and isn't allowed. Either they have no training at all on the subject, or they do and are making a conscious decision to lie to pad their commissions. Neither is a good scenario.

I definitely don't agree. Ford sells trucks. It doesn't mean I am going to trust the sales person on everything they tell me lol.

I am in the "do your own homework" camp. I don't ask reps what I should do -- I know what I should do by doing my own homework and I tell them what I want. I follow the rules and stuff of course but I know all the fine print and all that.

Trusting reps is just an awful idea. On Verizon, T-Mobile, any carrier to be honest. Your gripes about Verizon are the exact same gripes you will have elsewhere since it really depends on the rep you get. Sometimes you get a good person sometimes you don't. Why? Because people are people.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You can get an advance replacement if you let them charge your card for the replacement (which is refunded after they get your old device).

But in this case, the reasons I went Verizon had more to do with their expected shipping dates were sooner for me (Google cancelled my original order by mistake and it was 3 hrs after pre-orders opened, the new ship date would've been around 10/25) and the free Pixel Stand offer. Otherwise I was all set to buy from Google this year.

Someone in the forums had an issue and tried that and was unable to do so because it was purchased through them but I never personally verified that. In fact someone recently tried to go through Google for a replacement and were told to take it back to Target for an exchange but sometimes we don't get the full details in what really transpired.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I definitely don't agree. Ford sells trucks. It doesn't mean I am going to trust the sales person on everything they tell me lol.

I am in the "do your own homework" camp. I don't ask reps what I should do -- I know what I should do by doing my own homework and I tell them what I want. I follow the rules and stuff of course but I know all the fine print and all that.

Trusting reps is just an awful idea. On Verizon, T-Mobile, any carrier to be honest. Your gripes about Verizon are the exact same gripes you will have elsewhere since it really depends on the rep you get. Sometimes you get a good person sometimes you don't. Why? Because people are people.

Agreewith your points....always do your research and when it comes to Verizon I honestly try avoid dealing with the stores even the corporate ones. I find customer service through the 800 number much better. If I do need an a problem based exchange through the store to meet a deadline, I call the 800 number first to get it sanctioned so that the corporate store can't deny me.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had this same issue with my Vivo Nex S. I was trying to transfer my info from my old phone (which I will still use sometimes) to the Vivo, BUT you know what, they TOO had different Android versions. In my case the OLD phone was on Pie and the new one on Oreo (but expected to be upgraded in Q4 2018, so soon????). No matter what I tried I could not get the phones to exchange info. In the end all I was able to transfer was my contacts. (small victory) I had to use the Play Store to download my apps again, from the My Apps list.

I went from HATING the new phone, to loving it, AFTER a long night of frustrating work! lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Again -- not sure how that has to do with anything that was said. I feel we are reaching for random things just to prove a point that wasn't even brought up. All carriers have "unlimited" plans that have catches. I am not sure why you think some carrier actually offers 100% unlimited data without any catches what-so-ever? (hint: they don't)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

That's not really the same thing. With car companies, a more relevant example would be talking with someone at Ford themselves, not one of their dealers. Or to change it around, in Verizon's case, would be talking to one of their authorized retail partners, aka XYZ Mobile, a Verizon authorized dealer. But in my case, I'm talking with people directly employed by Verizon themselves, not someone who has a franchise agreement with them.

I didn't ask the rep what I should do, I asked them for more information about the free Pixel Stand promo, something they should know about since they're the ones offering it. I was doing my homework, since I was trying to find out info about the requirements of the promo. Verizon is the only one offering this promo, so shouldn't they have the most accurate information? Is that wrong? And more to the point, I never asked the rep about the BOGO deal, only about the requirements of the free Pixel Stand promo. The rep brought up the BOGO deal and wouldn't back off even when I told them I wasn't interested. It took around 5 minutes of telling her I wasn't interested in the BOGO before she finally dropped the subject.

Maybe, but since it's only Verizon offering this promo, I had nowhere else to go to to find that information. I couldn't ask anyone else because no one else was offering this deal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's not really the same thing. With car companies, a more relevant example would be talking with someone at Ford themselves, not one of their dealers. Or to change it around, in Verizon's case, would be talking to one of their authorized retail partners, aka XYZ Mobile, a Verizon authorized dealer. But in my case, I'm talking with people directly employed by Verizon themselves, not someone who has a franchise agreement with them.

I didn't ask the rep what I should do, I asked them for more information about the free Pixel Stand promo, something they should know about since they're the ones offering it. I was doing my homework, since I was trying to find out info about the requirements of the promo. Verizon is the only one offering this promo, so shouldn't they have the most accurate information? Is that wrong? And more to the point, I never asked the rep about the BOGO deal, only about the requirements of the free Pixel Stand promo. The rep brought up the BOGO deal and wouldn't back off even when I told them I wasn't interested. It took around 5 minutes of telling her I wasn't interested in the BOGO before she finally dropped the subject.

Maybe, but since it's only Verizon offering this promo, I had nowhere else to go to to find that information. I couldn't ask anyone else because no one else was offering this deal.

And again reps will be reps. Trusting them is not a smart idea. You will have this complaint on any carrier if you get a bad rep.. trust me. Been on all of them.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Agreewith your points....always do your research and when it comes to Verizon I honestly try avoid dealing with the stores even the corporate ones. I find customer service through the 800 number much better. If I do need an a problem based exchange through the store to meet a deadline, I call the 800 number first to get it sanctioned so that the corporate store can't deny me.

With me being 200 miles from the nearest Verizon corporate store (80-90 miles from one of their authorized retail partners) I ONLY deal with their 800 number support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174