Pixel 6 pro overheating with Google Maps

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been using my Google maps in the car and I've been noticing the phone overheats every time I use the maps. About 10 minutes in, I get a notification saying we have to go to dark mode because your phone is too hot.
Then today I was using Google maps and on the phone at the same time, and I got an alert that said we are shutting down certain functions because your phone is too hot.
I just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue? Is Google maps going to overheat my phone every single time I use it? Is that just part of the tensor chip growing pains?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a common occurrence with any phone (not just Pixels) if the phone is on a dash mount exposed to direct sunlight while also running navigation (which is processor intensive). It's best to use an AC vent mount and have the AC actively blowing on the phone -- were you doing that?

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
This is a common occurrence with any phone (not just Pixels) if the phone is on a dash mount exposed to direct sunlight while also running navigation (which is processor intensive). It's best to use an AC vent mount and have the AC actively blowing on the phone -- were you doing that?
That was going to be my next question! No it was mounted on the dashboard exposed to the Sun and it had a case on it. So do you think I should invest in am mount that goes on to my AC vent?

But it's a little strange because my 4xl never did that and I had it mounted on the dashboard all the time using maps and it didn't overheat.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely get an AC vent mount -- most likely, you won't encounter this problem again during hot weather months, as long as you keep the AC on.

The Pixel 6 is known to have a tendency to get warm during active use, so it certainly could be contributing to the problem. But I suspect that the hot summer is the bigger culprit (I don't know about you, but here in California, it's been our turn to suffer through a heat bubble, after the Pacific Northwest before us, and I'm sure many other parts of the country).

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely get an AC vent mount -- most likely, you won't encounter this problem again during hot weather months, as long as you keep the AC on.

The Pixel 6 is known to have a tendency to get warm during active use, so it certainly could be contributing to the problem. But I suspect that the hot summer is the bigger culprit (I don't know about you, but here in California, it's been our turn to suffer through a heat bubble, after the Pacific Northwest before us, and I'm sure many other parts of the country).
Yeah I'm in Los Angeles so it's been incredibly hot here. I thought that might have something to do with it as well!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my Pixel 5 did this often in my truck while wireless charging (not a lot of vent space on a wireless charger) to the point where it would stop charging.

It can be pretty normal behavior. I know even my wife's iPhone 13 Pro was having a hard time at the beach just idling in her bag in the shade. She had several occasions where she got an overheat warning.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Overheating on P6 just seems sporadic. I've definitely noticed it more when wireless charging. But also when connected wirelessly without charging and with direct charging. Phone got so hot a couple times that GPS started to go totally wonky and couldn't get Waze or Maps to work properly. Its been ages since I've had a phone get hot while being used or charged, last time was LG4. Kind of surprised to see Google release a device that does this with stock Android.