Pixel 6 Pro replacement under warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
That sucks. I know when it comes the other way Fedex to USPS (smartpost) it is still trackable. But I agree, when returning something like a phone you sure do want to get a notice that it was actually delivered to the company. When I returned my S20 a few years ago, Samsung did give me some problems on the return; however, the information that it was received by Samsung, ended that debate.
What was confusing is the shipping label Google provides is a USPS label. The instructions are to take the package to the post office or (confusingly) to a FedEx shipping location. Now why would I take it to FedEx if the label is for the Postal Service????
Now I know.
It is still trackable but with FedEx.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Update.
Sunday I dropped my P6PRO off at the Post office with the provided USPS label attached. Tuesday I received a notification that it was handed over to a returns agent and the USPS will no longer be tracking it. WHAT??!! What the ****is a return agent?
I decided to call the Postal Service. Listening to the novel that is the automated phone menu and trying every option I realized there isn't any way to speak directly to a real person. So I did a search. Lesson 1: During the spoken menu litany say"Agent". Bingo! One option is to have an agent call back instead of waiting on hold. I chose that one and within a minute or two I received the call.
Lesson 2: The agent told me a "Returns Agent" is a carrier contracted by the company, Google in this case, to handle the returns. In this case it is FedEx. The local post office is just a holding station for the pickup by FedEx. I should have just taken it to FEx in the first place instead of having the P6P sit at the PO for two days. Oh well. Two lessons learned.
Now the waiting really begins.
Have a happy Stuff Your Belly Day.

Oh, no! What a hassle you are going through! Thank you for the updates - please continue to keep us in the loop!

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That's smartpost in reverse, never it did it that way, but I know when it is shipped via Fedex and then ends up in the hands of the USPS the name should be slowpost. Not due to slowness by the USPS, but the transfer seems to take three days. One for fedex to hand off, one for USPS to accept and then one for USPS to get it going again into the USPS system.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I returned a P6Pro because it kept losing settings. I got the smartpost return label, handed the package to the letter carrier and by the time I got back in the house the package was scanned into the USPS system. By the time the letter carrier got to the end of the street Google had already issued credit on the phone. The credit remained in the "pending" area on the CC for 2 days and then full credit was applied to the CC. This all took place on the 22nd.

As close as I can tell now, by FedEx tracking, the phone is still at the post office in my home town. Credit issued before they even received the phone - I can live with this.

Two things I have learned during this Pixel purchase period:

1 - USPS tracking sucks
2 - FedEx tracking sux

ETA - I opted for credit, rather than replacement, because of the shipping issues many have experienced.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Just received a delivery date for my phone to Google...Nov. 30th. 6 days from today. Cheap a$$ Google can't spring for faster delivery. The phone is in Kansas. Grrr!

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Just received a delivery date for my phone to Google...Nov. 30th. 6 days from today. Cheap a$$ Google can't spring for faster delivery. The phone is in Kansas. Grrr!

Geez, they could WALK it to you by the 30th. Maybe this will turn out to be a c case of "under-promise/over-deliver" and you'll get it a couple days early.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Geez, they could WALK it to you by the 30th. Maybe this will turn out to be a c case of "under-promise/over-deliver" and you'll get it a couple days early.
That was the defective phone I was referring to. I was told by Customer Service that it would be after Google receives the phone and checks it out would the replacement phone be sent. Right now it seems Google still hasn't received the phone.
I did get two notifications that is good news. First one is the free Pixel Buds A will be delivered today.
The second and more important good news is the replacement P6P has been sent and will be delivered Monday. I'm thinking once Google received the notification the defective phone was sent then the replacement was made ready and is on its way.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Another update:
Not going to go in all of the sordid details however I did have to call FedEx and in the course of the conversation I did find out the phone is actually at my local FedEx location but I can't pick it up unless Google authorizes it since it is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. So then it was a long chat with Google ending with I can pick it up today. I'll see about that in less than a hour and a half.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Another update:
Not going to go in all of the sordid details however I did have to call FedEx and in the course of the conversation I did find out the phone is actually at my local FedEx location but I can't pick it up unless Google authorizes it since it is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. So then it was a long chat with Google ending with I can pick it up today. I'll see about that in less than a hour and a half.
Welp... No package at FedEx. So Monday it is.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Another update:
I've had folks show up to pick up their embargoed packages. When it's a piece of tech like a phone I just give it to them. Screw the embargo. We're in the package *delivery* business, not the package *holding* business.

On one occasion the system would not allow me to scan the package for delivery. I gave it to the recipient without scanning. I took down the tracking number and waited for the delivery allowed date. I then reprinted a new label citing damage to the original. Then I scanned that for delivery and threw it away afterwards.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Update: Replacement P6Pro arrived and it has been set up.
I did it by transferring from my Pixel 4a like I did the first phone. Now to see if I have the same issues that caused the previous P6P to be sent back. Not to be jinxing anything but so far typing has been issue free. Time will tell.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Update: The transfer from my Pixel 4a to the replacement P6Pro was flawless. Unlike the transfer to my first P6P, all folders and settings are identical to my P4a, home screen folders, widgets, drop down quick settings, and shortcuts all the same. The only actions left was signing in to the apps that required it, installing the 2nd November and the Play Store updates, along with transferring my phone # to this phone (Google Fi). The whole process was painless and frustration free, unlike with the first P6P which was a mess.
I also typed this post without needing the multiple repeated key taps that made typing on the first phone a throw it against the wall experience. So all is good. Hopefully the only thing to continue to dislike is the curved screen edges.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I must say that the battery life seems much more improved right out of the box than the first phone. It might have something to do with the Google Play system update from yesterday.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I must say that the battery life seems much more improved right out of the box than the first phone. It might have something to do with the Google Play system update from yesterday.
It's funny you say that but after updating yesterday to the November today my battery has been noticeably better

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
It's funny you say that but after updating yesterday to the November today my battery has been noticeably better
During the work week I take my phone off the charger at 6am. I work from home so I use it for work calls using wifi calling and non-work...uh... distractions. Phone calls are typically the biggest battery drainer.
I have the 6Pro set up exactly as my P4A. When I get up around 4am my 4a is usually at about 35%-40%. This morning at 3 am my P6P was at 64%. My previous P6P battery life would replicate the 4a battery life. This having the replacement for only around 36 hours or so.
Now I would expect better battery longevity because of its size but right now I'm content with the improvement over my first one and hope over time it gets better.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Last update:
All major issues from my first P6P are absent in the replacement. Now typing is an enjoyable experience unlike on the first phone. The screen response is flawless as is the fingerprint sensor (it was on the first phone as well).
The only remaining minor issue is the vertical scrolling that in some apps just takes off like a wild horse. A quick tap will stop the wild ride. Now this may be that some apps are not optimized for the variable screen rate feature, or it is the variable screen rate Smooth Display function not being optimized. Either way it's not a major issue at all.
I must give kudos to Google Pixel support for their quick response in arranging the return and replacement. The only real hiccup was caused on my part. Now I've learned how to best handle that in the future.
Moderators may now close this thread.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Last update:
All major issues from my first P6P are absent in the replacement. Now typing is an enjoyable experience unlike on the first phone. The screen response is flawless as is the fingerprint sensor (it was on the first phone as well).
The only remaining minor issue is the vertical scrolling that in some apps just takes off like a wild horse. A quick tap will stop the wild ride. Now this may be that some apps are not optimized for the variable screen rate feature, or it is the variable screen rate Smooth Display function not being optimized. Either way it's not a major issue at all.
I must give kudos to Google Pixel support for their quick response in arranging the return and replacement. The only real hiccup was caused on my part. Now I've learned how to best handle that in the future.
Moderators may now close this thread.

So glad everything got resolved for you! Thank you for keeping us posted every step of the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.