Pixel Halo effect?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The sun it literally pointing in the lens. The exposure difference between the foreground and *the SUN* is absolutely enormous, probably in the neighborhood of 20EV. There is no way HDR+ can deal with that. It did a pretty amazing job actually - that shot with any normal camera would probably be unusable.

I get that not everyone is experienced with photography, but while what this camera does is absolutely amazing, it can only defy physics so much even with the clever software.

This^^^

The intent of the post was to show that I could still shoot straight into the sun w/o the flare with a little reframing. What the camera did in that shot is amazing. I have taken similar shots with a DSLR and it would have taken at least 3 bracketed shots to get near that result. Ever tried to shoot bracketed shot handheld? Not fun, though possible with that much light. Of course then I have to go and combine the images to get HDR in post, which is not worth it for a 'snap shot' like this.

Interestingly, in cases like this, the phone shot is better than a shot I would have taken with a DSLR because I am not interested in doing post processing.

Finally, as I mentioned in the original post, if I would have had more time, I would have played with the exposure a little more, and brought more balance to the sky. I metered on the darkest spot on the photo -- the trees in the background. I was interested to see what type of detail I could pull out back there. Between the 2 shots, you can see the range that would be achievable.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Mines not bad at all. So I don't know if mine is a better unit or they are all the same and people are just purposely taking photos to get a halo to have a cry.lol.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
According to this video (starting at the 5:17 mark), Google knows it's a HARDWARE issue and will not fix it in this version of Pixel. they will put out a software patch to help IMPROVE the issue though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orf87bu7VhI

That is a pretty balanced review of the camera. I don't think I agree with the main comparison being with HDR+ off, as that is the preferred mode for the Google camera. All jpegs are processed, so they should use the best algorithm for each camera.

I think the bias is because of where HDR started, with extreme tone mapping that imparted a certain look over processed look. What Google is doing with HDR+, IMO, is opening shadows and reducing blow outs. I don't find the pictures to have an over processed look.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
That is a pretty balanced review of the camera. I don't think I agree with the main comparison being with HDR+ off, as that is the preferred mode for the Google camera. All jpegs are processed, so they should use the best algorithm for each camera.

I think the bias is because of where HDR started, with extreme tone mapping that imparted a certain look over processed look. What Google is doing with HDR+, IMO, is opening shadows and reducing blow outs. I don't find the pictures to have an over processed look.

yeah, it make me wonder if a bad batch was released this first round cause some people are posting no problems and some pictures posted look awesome.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Playing with my S7 and pixel I've actually managed to come across a similar lens flare or halo on my S7. Not as noticeable but it was there. In sunlight and different angles away from light through a window. Wonder why the pixel is worse. I guess lens position. I don't think it could be the glass.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Playing with my S7 and pixel I've actually managed to come across a similar lens flare or halo on my S7. Not as noticeable but it was there. In sunlight and different angles away from light through a window. Wonder why the pixel is worse. I guess lens position. I don't think it could be the glass.

As stated in previous posts, all cameras are susceptible to lense flare, even expensive DSLRs, but in the pixels case it more easily occurs. I was able to get flares on my 6p as well, but it took a lot more effort to actually get a flare on my screen and it wasnt as pronounced as the pixel.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Directly at the sun, no Halo

I've gotten the halo in a few instances, but it was usually a darker shot with a severe contrast between a light and dark area with some direct light.

IMG_20161101_075119.jpg

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Directly at the sun, no Halo

I've gotten the halo in a few instances, but it was usually a darker shot with a severe contrast between a light and dark area with some direct light.

View attachment 245006

Because this type of flare is caused by the light bouncing around inside, your less likely to get the flare shooting directly into a light source. It will be more pronounced if the light source is coming in at an angle, that's why you see a lot of it where no light source is visible in the frame. Most lenses are optimised to stop the light bouncing around inside.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Because this type of flare is caused by the light bouncing around inside, your less likely to get the flare shooting directly into a light source. It will be more pronounced if the light source is coming in at an angle, that's why you see a lot of it where no light source is visible in the frame. Most lenses are optimised to stop the light bouncing around inside.
I'm aware, as I said I only ever got it with heavy contrast such as the photo below
909737a6f53d4e43097c7612f353b0e7.jpg

TavisB

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Some of you are intentional taking bad photos and then complaining that you are getting bad photos. I don't get it.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Some of you are intentional taking bad photos and then complaining that you are getting bad photos. I don't get it.
Not really. It started as an observation and turned into people purposefully reproducing it in order to highlight the problem easily.

TavisB

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If it's only happening in photos you'd delete anyway, it's a non issue. I've yet to see an otherwise well shot photo ruined by lens flare. I could be wrong, but that's what I've seen here.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I love bagnell's real camera reviews, but he lost me in the first 30 seconds of his Pixel camera review when he said he is turning off HDR for these reviews. The whole point of the pixel camera is the advanced google post processing with HDR +. Comparing it's shots against other cameras with HDR turned off is silly.

I have had the S6 Edge, S7 Edge, Note 7 and iPhone SE (the 6S camera sensor). I rate the Pixel camera over all of them. Hands down. And that's before you even get to the full high res backups.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I love bagnell's real camera reviews, but he lost me in the first 30 seconds of his Pixel camera review when he said he is turning off HDR for these reviews. The whole point of the pixel camera is the advanced google post processing with HDR +. Comparing it's shots against other cameras with HDR turned off is silly.

I have had the S6 Edge, S7 Edge, Note 7 and iPhone SE (the 6S camera sensor). I rate the Pixel camera over all of them. Hands down. And that's before you even get to the full high res backups.

I disagree, I rarely take hdr photos except in extreme lighting conditions. You shouldn't have to rely on HDR+ to get good photos.