Pixel Imperfect: Inside 4 generations of flawed Google phones

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually really enjoying my 4xl. I caved on the BF deal and picked one up for under $500 with trade in. Not a huge upgrade over the 3xl, but it actually feels like a fast phone this time, which was my biggest gripe with the 3.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually really enjoying my 4xl. I caved on the BF deal and picked one up for under $500 with trade in. Not a huge upgrade over the 3xl, but it actually feels like a fast phone this time, which was my biggest gripe with the 3.
Yep, I'm extremely satisfied with my Pixel 3 XL. will hold me up until 5 and Note 11 are out.

Enjoy your pixel 4 XL.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Sure it's not perfect, but the amount of scrutiny Pixel gets is unbelievable compared to every other phones which gets easy pass.

That's because other phones give you the hardware and software worthy of its price point. The latest Samsung phones have the December 2019 security patch. Pixels do not. Samsung load their phones with the latest hardware. Pixels do not. Yet Google thinks the Pixel is worth the same price as, say, the Samsung Galaxy S10+ or the Note 10+? Please.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's because other phones give you the hardware and software worthy of its price point. The latest Samsung phones have the December 2019 security patch. Pixels do not. Samsung load their phones with the latest hardware. Pixels do not. Yet Google thinks the Pixel is worth the same price as, say, the Samsung Galaxy S10+ or the Note 10+? Please.

We all know you consider Pixel 4 thrash even if it's free and that's your opinion. You have made that pretty clear from day one

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• cool-story-bro-sylvester-stallone.jpg
    cool-story-bro-sylvester-stallone.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 44

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I just checked and it's downloading right now. Also, how often does Samsung get their security patches to users before the end of the month? And looking at their update history, this would be the exception rather than the rule.

I get you don't like the Pixel line, great, good for you. I don't like Samsung's line of phones, but I don't go into the Samsung forums and tell people why they shouldn't like them. It's their choice, not mine. Pity you couldn't show others the same courtesy.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just checked and it's downloading right now. Also, how often does Samsung get their security patches to users before the end of the month? And looking at their update history, this would be the exception rather than the rule.

I get you don't like the Pixel line, great, good for you. I don't like Samsung's line of phones, but I don't go into the Samsung forums and tell people why they shouldn't like them. It's their choice, not mine. Pity you couldn't show others the same courtesy.
Yeah and also not every Note 10 version has received the December update. My unlocked Note 10 got it but there are some carrier versions which haven't still. Samsung has million firmware versions of a single phone model and they all receive updates at different frequencies based on region, carrier and so many other factors. It's always been like that and it'll never change for Samsung phones.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only perfect phone is the same as the only perfect software (and I've been saying this for about 35 years for software) - the one you design yourself. (Until you decide that you want to change it.)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I had a Samsung once , that was the first and last time I will ever own one. I much prefer the Pixel line of phones over anything Samsung has .

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I had a great experience going back to Pixel line .. Maybe I will revisit later on down the road .. returned my phone yesterday last day of return period ... back to my Note +

Check out his review I think he makes great points ... Don't bail on the video lol

https://youtu.be/QXo39lJY6XM

Last edited:

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have P4 and Note 10, all I can say is the main camera on Pixel is better, but everything else is not. I thought I would be blown away by 90hz, but to my suprise I would take Note 10 display any day.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the Pixel line is really good. Of course, it has its share of drawbacks (which are subjective as perceived benefits/drawbacks are user-specific).

Personally, I would have preferred the smaller Pixels to have bigger batteries; and for the Pixel 4 to have a fingerprint scanner (in-display or otherwise), and not just Face Unlock. But I think the Pixel line has a lot to offer, regardless - phenomenal camera; stock Android; timely software updates. It suited my needs perfectly. But again, that's just me and my preferences.

But, I also believe that every phone has areas that could use some improvement. I'm excited to see what will happen with the Pixel 5.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ummu8IRbKNw

Excellent video by Alex Dobie covering the history of the Nexus/Pixel line. Brings up some really excellent points regarding the software being great, but hardware just not being up to par and every generation of Pixel has been compromised in some way.

Pixels are perpetually the 'maybe next year they'll get it right' phone.
I watched this the other day. It was very good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I personally think the Pixel line is really good. Of course, it has its share of drawbacks (which are subjective as perceived benefits/drawbacks are user-specific).

Personally, I would have preferred the smaller Pixels to have bigger batteries; and for the Pixel 4 to have a fingerprint scanner (in-display or otherwise), and not just Face Unlock. But I think the Pixel line has a lot to offer, regardless - phenomenal camera; stock Android; timely software updates. It suited my needs perfectly. But again, that's just me and my preferences.

But, I also believe that every phone has areas that could use some improvement. I'm excited to see what will happen with the Pixel 5.
It seems like the biggest ongoing gripes are the bang for buck or it doesn't provide flagship features for a flagship price. Both of which are subjectively false. Seems that some also feel it no longer arguably has the best camera or that other OEMs are close. In certain situations it may be true, but isn't it a good thing that everyone compares cameras against the Pixels? Isn't it also a good thing that Google created a competitive atmosphere so that everyone strives to beat it?
I don't have a Pixel at the moment because I don't need anymore devices, but if I was in the market it would certainly be on my radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali