Pixel phone (Brand new again) latest version of android (Android 9) Spamming over & Over again

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
I keep getting spammed by what ever is on my device (which i factory reset my Pixel phone & yet it keeps spamming me with nonsense.) The phone opens up any available web browser (the one which comes with the phone which is chrome.) It will pull up a Google like page with a warning in front of it saying:
"application-program-shop-webs.win
WARNING!!
Generic Android+4.0 is infected with virus & immediate action is required! Continue with instructions to fix Generic Android+4.0. DO NOT CLOSE this window!
**Exit at your own risk** "
Also it seems to be pulling up alot of other scams as well not just this one.

Every time my phone goes into sleep mode or what ever & I turn it back on a bit later it comes up with the same thing not even 3 sec go by after turning the screen back on the same thing pops up....

Is there a way to get this madness to stop?? Because it's using a boat load of data (I noticed last time i turned the screen on the web browser had 27 pages of the same exact thing... SPAM/Fake virus notifications)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Pixel phone (Brand new again) latest version of android (Android 9) Spamming over & Over again

You factory reset it, but did you reinstall anything? Try running it on SafeMode.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Re: Pixel phone (Brand new again) latest version of android (Android 9) Spamming over & Over again

The most likely culprit will be one of your apps. When you did a reset did you allow all of your apps to be reinstalled? If you have recently installed a new app that could be the one or one that has had a recent update, if not it could be a slow process to locate the offending app. Running in safe mode will confirm if the problem is with an app.

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

how do i run it in safemode?

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

it automatically inststalled all the stock apps & from that point on it kept spamming me with the same error/warning

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

^what he said.

If no popups happen in safemode, it's something installed.

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

@Kodak2 its working fine right now because no actual browser is enabled or another of the apps that get installed (in stock version) & enabled by the phone

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site

I assume you are now in safe mode and now don't have the problem.

I would be surprised if the problem was coming from one of the pre installed apps or the Chrome browser, it's most likely to be from a third party app that you have installed. It could be a painstaking task now to go through your apps by uninstalling them one by one to trace the culprit.. it also may be worthwhile installing an anti virus / malware app

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

alright I'll see what i can do. should i go back to regular mode now?

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site

Yes, you need to do that so you can go through your apps.

Good luck.
Kodak2

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

I had to delete 1 app & sofar it seems to be working fine now thanks for the help i removed an app called Project Fi. & then cleared the updates from the Gmail app & it seems to be working back to normal finally!
thaanks!! :D

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

well after sending you that last msg i just started getting them again i'll keep doing it.. :(

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

I did forget to mention that b4 it updated... my phone never gave me this problem but then after it updated to Android 9 then it just spams my phone

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

@Kodak2 well i've gone thru all the apps on my phone 2x & still getting the same problem but if i crash the web browsers then its fine

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site

Try clearing the cache and data from your web browser. I assume your web browser is Chrome. I am not using the same phone as you. On my phone you go to settings - applications - then scroll down to find your browser, open it and clear cach snd data.

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

after doing that... its working like it should be. I also hope it stays that way.. cause I think i've done it 2x in the past hmmmm I just dont see as to why it does that now & didnt do it in earlier versions of Pixel... :/ weird

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site

Software updates can do some strange things for no apparent reason.

Fingers crossed that it now remains okay.

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

it better stay that way i hope because I'm extreamly mad about something (not even phone related) it was something that happened @ church & during lunch @ church which makes it sound like i can't do anything right even if i know what i'm doing!

Liz Blue

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

well i just had to delete Opera from my phone because it kept on spamming. :( i guess i'll have to wait like a few weeks or so for an update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22