Pixel to Samsung : what do I gain, what do I lose?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Switched about a month ago from the 3 XL to the S20 FE.

Display: The 3 XL was way too dim to use in direct sunlight. The S20 FE is more than fine. I'm sure the Pixel 5 will fall somewhere in between, the question being is it useable. S20 FE has 120Hz display vs Pixel 5 90Hz. I can clearly see the difference in smoothness while scrolling, but that depends on your visual acuity as to how much you will notice it. It's really just an aesthetic thing - if the phone didn't have ample battery life, I'd probably just disable it to eek out the extra hour I found it to provide (based on my use) between my testing it on/off. S20FE display is a bit larger than what you had, whereas the Pixel 5's is a bit more compact. Larger screen is better, but all other things being the same I'd take the slightly smaller screen to gain a much smaller and easier to pocket/1-hand body.

Battery: The 3 XL battery gave me 5-6h SOT when I got it. 20 months later it was down to 2h (much worse wear over time than the 2 XL had experienced). S20 FE is giving me 8-9h. You know best what you need, and your numbers will vary. I'm delighted with the S20 FE, but have no doubt the Pixel 5 would be ample, at least at first. Either should be a big boost vs your 2 XL. The S20FE is a bit larger battery than the 5, but also runs a less efficient CPU/Modem pairing, larger/higher refresh display.

Camera: Love the flexibility of multiple cameras on the S20 FE, but compared to the 3 XL, unless I'm using the telephoto beyond 2x or using the wide angle, it doesn't produce as reliably a great picture as the 2-year old Pixel. Still does a great job, but with my preferring the reliably great-every-time output of the 3 XL for what would constitute 95% of the shots I take, I'd have to give a strong nod to the Pixel 5 outside of lengthier zooms.

Software: We like what we're used to, so it would be unfair for me to point out things I don't like about Samsung's UI much like it would for someone coming from Samsung to do the same regarding Pixel. I ended up 'Pixel-ifying' mine to a pretty substantial degree with launchers, etc.

Biometrics: Nice 'quality of life' upgrade from your 2 XL, in that for many apps you can use it instead of having to recall and enter a (hopefully) unique and complex password for access. Pixel 5 has the old faithful, supremely reliable rear FPS. Coming from the 2 XL this would be new, but having made that transition when I went from the 2 XL to the 3 XL, I can tell you it was completely effortless. The position of the sensor is such that your fingertip naturally rests on it every time you pull the phone from a pocket (or, I suspect, a purse) and the phone is unlocked before you are even looking at it. Assuming the 5 hasn't regressed, it supports learning up to 10 fingerprints, so you have ample room to accommodate all of your digits (unless you're of the rare 6-fingered hand persuasion), or an ample assortment of yours and someone else with whom you'd entrust full access. The S20 FE was a big letdown in this regard - its in-display fingerprint only allows up to 3 fingerprints to be stored, and, 30 days in, still requires very conscious placement of the finger to authorize - and even then only works about 90% of the time (which in itself doesn't seem bad until compared to the 3 XL, which I barely remember ever failing, and never required me to think about using). The FPS is probably my single biggest annoyance on the S20 FE.

I will say there is one very functional difference that may be critical to some and has impacted me: Samsung does NOT support multiple user profiles, so you cannot have separate 'logins' with sets of apps for use under personal, work, children's, guest profiles, etc.

TLDR, I really am enjoying the S20 FE for its superbright display and insane battery life, great construction and value of parts. I think it's a very, very good phone, and would probably encourage anyone who is used to Samsung phones to go with it over the Pixel 5. But as a long-time Pixel user, if I could switch now for the same price from the S20 FE to the Pixel 5, I'd do. The 5 doesn't have the better parts list nearly across the board that the S20 FE boasts (other than the 5 having 1/3 more RAM and Gorilla Glass a few generations newer), but the Google's history of integrating its software so fluidly with the hardware lets it consistently get so much more in total than one would likely infer from the sum of its parts. Of course, take my preference with a couple of caveats - we each value different things in a phone. My preference is a phone that does everything I want it to do with minimal effort and does it well - and for the duration needed. Pixels have a history of delivering that extremely well for me with the ones I've bought (yeah, I skipped the 4th iteration).

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Same situation as you. I have my Pixel 2xl and it does everything need to do and battery seems to last as long as the day I got it. I'd get the the Pixel 5, but it seems to be not much better than my Pixel 2. I think I will go another year and get the Pixel 6 unless it is a total flop then I'll go with the latest and greatest Samsung or maybe try out an iPhone since everyone I know has one and I get left out on their proprietary messaging and airdrops.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
The wife's 3xl was having some display coloration issues, so we decided to try a samsung 20FE.

while she has somewhat reluctanly decided to keep it. I would have sent it back by day 2

the slab itself looks nice, but the UI is total $hit. coming from a Pixel, nothing in the samsung UI is intuitive.

for me, I would not take a samsung phone if it was free. After seeing how android is supposed to be... I don't have time to go to YouTube every time I want to do a simple function.

If you get one, you do get a few weeks to decide if you want to keep it... but for me 2 days was more than enough

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
In the back of my mind I'm thinking of keeping the Pixel for another year as well. But one of the reasons I got the phone was for the security updates. Maybe Android 11 on its own is sufficiently secure?

Same situation as you. I have my
Pixel 2xl and it does everything need to do and battery seems to last as long as the day I got it. I'd get the the Pixel 5, but it seems to be not much better than my Pixel 2. I think I will go another year and get the Pixel 6 unless it is a total flop then I'll go with the latest and greatest Samsung or maybe try out an iPhone since everyone I know has one and I get left out on their proprietary messaging and airdrops.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
All phones have their own pros and cons. Not everyone wants the same from their devices.In the end you really can't go wrong with any of the well known devices. Oneplus, samsung, google, Lg, Apple, etc.

I couldn't agree with you more. We are all different and have different, unique needs when it comes to purchasing a new phone. :)

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm also using a 2 XL and shopping. Stopped into Costco to see what they had. No Pixels in the store. Sales person recommended I consider the S20+ because it always seems to have a discount bringing it within $50 of the Pixel 5. I saw Best Buy has it similarly priced.

I had a Note 5 before the 2 XL. Personally I like the whole Pixel experience over Samsung. When I switched, there were a few things I had to adjust to that Samsung did well. The calendar app was a bit better at the time as was the text app, but I don't miss either of those. I still think of the frustration I had with the slow updates with Samsung, but it sounds like that has improved. I don't play games on my phone so I'm thinking the spec choices Google made for the P5 will not be an issue. One thing I miss from the Note 5 is a great proximity sensor or whatever sensor and software they used to detect the phone was in your pocket. I'm frequently pocket dialing emergency contacts or triggering the screen unlock mode where you type in a pin. Not sure if newer Pixels are better.

The 2 XL gets one more security update in December. I'm hoping by year end there's a deal on the P5 even though it is brand new. The camera, UI, and fingerprint sensor are great on my phone and expect a similar experience with the P5. I also like the lack of bloatware of the Pixel line.

The other thing I don't care for is the curved screens. It looks like the S20 FE and S20+ have only a minor curve. To me, the curved screen is useless, and causes problems with getting a good tempered glass screen protector. I think the latest Pixels have flat screens, which is a big selling point for me.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure the Pixel 2 is seeing as many updates these days
There's only one left - in December. That will be the last of 3 years of updates. But it's been according to schedule - October was actually the last scheduled update, then there's a security update in December. And that's about all one gets with the 5 - 3 years of updates. If you have Camera 4 installed, you have everything in a 2 that the 5 has, except astrophotography. (Which is why I'm still staying with my 2 - I'd like astrophotography, but I don't like it $700 worth, so I'll wait.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
There's only one left - in December. That will be the last of 3 years of updates. But it's been according to schedule - October was actually the last scheduled update, then there's a security update in December. And that's about all one gets with the 5 - 3 years of updates. If you have Camera 4 installed, you have everything in a 2 that the 5 has, except astrophotography. (Which is why I'm still staying with my 2 - I'd like astrophotography, but I don't like it $700 worth, so I'll wait.)

That three years of updates thing is pretty stellar.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the three reasons I'm sticking with Pixel. (The phone vs. the price is second, the people behind the back office is the third. I don't call tech support with easy problems, I call when 47 years of experience isn't enough for me to fix the problem. And eventually, between me and one of them, we figure it out. [Last time they ended up sending me 4 replacement phones - that didn't fix the problem. They didn't complain. I even had 2 in my possession at once, and rejected the 3rd (actually the 4th they had sent) when it arrived.])

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
You will Lose (IMO)

- Consistently excellent camera. Samsung has the better hardware and under certain conditions will be better but for people and pets you will see more blurred or soft images. The single reason I prefer my P5 to my S20+ is I do not feel I can trust the camera on the Samsung.
- Updates
- Physical FPS
- Stock android

You will gain

- A brighter and better screen
- 120 hz
- Better zoom camera
- Arguably nicer build quality
- More of a Swiss Army knife feel, more storage, expandable storage.
- Some nice OneUi features that Pixel lacks. Ability to schedule the AOD, volume limiter, there are lots of others.

That is just off the top of my head

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung provides 3 years of monthly security updates, they might come out a week or two after the Pixel update, but is that really a big deal for a monthly update? Also Samsung provides a 4th year of quarterly security updates.
On unlocked on Verizon I've been getting the monthly update by the first Monday of month.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You will Lose (IMO)

- Consistently excellent camera. Samsung has the better hardware and under certain conditions will be better but for people and pets you will see more blurred or soft images. The single reason I prefer my P5 to my S20+ is I do not feel I can trust the camera on the Samsung.
- Updates
- Physical FPS
- Stock android

You will gain

- A brighter and better screen
- 120 hz
- Better zoom camera
- Arguably nicer build quality
- More of a Swiss Army knife feel, more storage, expandable storage.
- Some nice OneUi features that Pixel lacks. Ability to schedule the AOD, volume limiter, there are lots of others.

That is just off the top of my head

I do get soft images or blurry fur visuals when I photograph my cat using the S10. Then again, if I'm closer to her, her fur is noticeably better.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I do get soft images or blurry fur visuals when I photograph my cat using the S10. Then again, if I'm closer to her, her fur is noticeably better.

People and pets in anything but very good light is IMO kryptonite to the S20 cameras. It is a real shame as the hardware is certainly there.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You'd think they would update the software to correct this.
I find that toggling motion photo on solves most of those blur issues. Alternatively if you set up your manual settings to the proper shutter speed you can also mitigate that problem.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
From what I'm reading this is related to face smoothing algorithms and not motion blur.

I find that toggling motion photo on solves most of those blur issues. Alternatively if you set up your manual settings to the proper shutter speed you can also mitigate that problem.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
People and pets in anything but very good light is IMO kryptonite to the S20 cameras. It is a real shame as the hardware is certainly there.

Yes, I agree with you. 80% of my photos are shots of my cat, so I am often trying to take better ones. However, there have been quite a few times where I've been pleasantly surprised at the photos. But it would be nice if it would be a better point-and-shoot camera.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Thank you, I'll have to check out my manual settings more thoroughly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers