Play Music is Gone, YouTube Music failing me.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So knowing YouTube Music was going to replace Google Play I downloaded it and gave it a try a few months ago, didn't care for it but it worked.

Today I got hit Goolge Play Music is no longer available, imported my music to YouTube Music and thought I was good to go but was I wrong. Not only do I have ads between songs, music stops when the phone screen is shut off or I minimize the app. Can't even listen to music while browsing my text messages....

I still have my YouTube subscription and ad free YouTube but now I need to pay separately for music? Is the music side of things no longer bundled in?

Cause if Google wants me to pay for Music and ad free YouTube individually I'll just get Spotify and use ad block on YouTube.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say you have a YT subscription, do you mean YouTube Premium? That ought to include YT Music ad-free.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I was not happy Google Play Music was being replace by Youtube Music, but I dealt with it. However, after using it a few times, I HATE it. I moved all my songs but can't search then on Android Auto (can only search Youtube Music songs??? whatever those are, not uploaded), and apparently can't play "stations" unless I upgrade. This is stupid, poor move Google. At this point, it's cheaper to use Amazon Music Unlimited.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm still swapping between my own music, the YouTube Music App, and the other YouTube app. It's going okay for now but those ads are infuriating. Sometimes every other song has them, or you can an ad fifteen songs later. In any case, I may get Premium in a while. Not sure yet. I'm not hating the experience, however.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
When you say you have a YT subscription, do you mean YouTube Premium? That ought to include YT Music ad-free.
I've had YouTube Premium for several years now, and I don't get any ads or interruptions with YouTube Music. It streams in the background just fine for me.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
This. My wife and I have a family membership. We've experienced no ads and it streams in the background with no issues.
I've had YouTube Premium for several years now, and I don't get any ads or interruptions with YouTube Music. It streams in the background just fine for me.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the premium subscription so I'm happy everything I had transferred over including audios I recorded and uploaded. What I miss is the ability to search a song by "Identify What's Playing". Also, there is a tendency for the app to find edited versions more than original.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
For me, it's fine. I've had the YouTube Premium subscription that I got courtesy of Google Play music and it works fine. No ads for either YTM or YT.

All my playlists came over without a hitch. While I'm not thrilled with the UI of YTM, it's good enough for car rides works fine on my Google Home devices.

rsrwnab

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
the library is a JOKE compared to Google music.

from Library-
Click on Artist .. it just shows all songs, rather than show all albums I have then i can choose which particular album I want, or a song off that album.

IF I want to play a particular album I own, i need to click - albums and then figure how the hell this filters the music -- or I need to scroll to the bottom...choose "see all by artist" and then into another page... this was so much easier on Google Music

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's tolerable. Annoyed that I can no longer play my personal playlists on my Google Nest wifi speaker - when I say Hey Google play (insert play list name) it says that service is only available with a paid subscription. Previously with Google Play Music I had no issue. So my work around for now is to just connect my device to a bluetooth speaker. Having said that, most of my playlists have several hundred songs in them and YTM seems repeat playing many of the same songs. Also don't like the fact that you can't sort playlists. Hopefully they'll continue to make improvements to YTM. Baffling though that they rolled out a new service that lacks all the features that GPM had.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not a fan of Youtube Music. I was happy with Play Music.
My biggest gripe is random pauses. I work an hour away from my residence and when i leave it will pause its self. Im assuming switching from Wifi to Cellular. And one or two random pauses while im driving. Mind you the route and phone are still the same. Play music never paused like this. Its annoying.
Another issues i have is it never makes it to the end of my play list. I have 600+ songs in my thumbs up / favorites list. I have had to restart playing because it will get to a song and not play any more after that. Hitting play just plays the song it stopped on. And its never the last song in the play list.
So yeah thanks for forcing me to move from a platform i liked to one that has issues.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I figured everything out but Google made this way more complicated than it had it be.

Play Music and YouTube Music apps worked side by side on my Note 8 until Play Music stopped working. Play Music quit working on the day of my monthly renewal. So instead of renewing my payment Google just canceled my Google Play Music subscription which caused YouTube Music to revert to the free version. Meanwhile Google Play still worked on my Note 9 and YouTube remained ad free for another day.

So Google canceled my subscription and now wants me to sign up for either YouTube Music or the new YouTube premium which bundles in music. I thought this was just a transition of one app to another, not the end of one service and start of a new one that costs more.

Interestingly enough, while I find YouTube Music to be useless on a phone and riddled with ads, the experience is far better on desktop. At the moment I'm listening to YouTube music at home on my desktop ad free for free and using Pandora on my phone at work. I may or may not sign up for YouTube Premium again, or I'll just keep using ad block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174