Play Music is Gone, YouTube Music failing me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I pay for a YouTube Premium subscription. After a few months with YouTube Music, it's fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One little nice thing about YT Music -- the screen when using Chromecast has neat little factoids about the band or the song.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
One little nice thing about YT Music -- the screen when using Chromecast has neat little factoids about the band or the song.

That's really cool! Amazon Prime seems to have this for certain shows, too. I was watching Golden Girls the other day and saw a "fact" about the episode to the left of my screen.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Haven't noticed that (perhaps from lack of use..) I *really* miss the artist and album info that GPM showed when you were browsing music, with the summary pulled from wikipedia and a link to the main article.

Edit: ok I swear it wasn't there yesterday. I just begrudgingly installed it on my tablet and started playing an album, and noticed it was showing the info. Back to the coffee thread!!

Last edited:

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Personally have so far resisted paying for the YouTube Premium. So with the "Free" version, I am still unable to listen to my songs and albums on my Insignia (Google) Home Smart Speaker. If I say to my Smart Speaker "Hey Google...play [insert name of song from my personal library uploaded music]" I get the response from Google..."I'm sorry I can only play music from your music library with a YouTube Premium subscription...would you like to subscribe?" I, of course, responded "No!" And then the Google Assistant responds "Here is a streaming station like [insert song name]" and it starts playing whatever random streaming station it wants until I tell Google to Stop!

So far I am only able to stream my own music to the smart speaker by starting the music on my phone and then connecting to my Smart Speaker via the Bluetooth connection.

Very Annoying!

Basically I am still feeling like Google is Forcing me into getting a YouTube Premium subscription to be able to listen to my own music on my Smart Speaker!

I guess, if Google does not fix the issues with YouTube Music, I will have to either Subscribe to YouTube Music or completely leave the platform!

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been debating cancelling YouTube Premium since I have Tidal HiFi and Prime Music, but I don't want to deal with the ads on YouTube or install an ad blocker on all my devices. It's a powerful drug. I never use smart speaker functionality to play music, I just use mine (a JBL Link I got free) as a regular Bluetooth speaker and let it play whatever audio my phone or tablet is spitting out.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been debating cancelling YouTube Premium since I have Tidal HiFi and Prime Music, but I don't want to deal with the ads on YouTube or install an ad blocker on all my devices. It's a powerful drug. I never use smart speaker functionality to play music, I just use mine (a JBL Link I got free) as a regular Bluetooth speaker and let it play whatever audio my phone or tablet is spitting out.

How are you finding Prime Music? My husband and I have Prime and are invested in Prime Video, so maybe Prime Music is the logical next step!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
How are you finding Prime Music? My husband and I have Prime and are invested in Prime Video, so maybe Prime Music is the logical next step!
I couldn't give you a good opinion right now, as it has been quite a while since I used it. I used it quite a bit a couple of years ago, but preferred Play Music as it had a larger library. It seems like the last time I looked for something specific, it was only available via the Unlimited subscription, which costs extra.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If only they had made it better BEFORE forcing everyone to use it.. now I hate it out of principle. I signed up for early access, gave feedback, all for nothing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't give you a good opinion right now, as it has been quite a while since I used it. I used it quite a bit a couple of years ago, but preferred Play Music as it had a larger library. It seems like the last time I looked for something specific, it was only available via the Unlimited subscription, which costs extra.

Thank you for letting me know! I'm currently floundering between the actual YouTube app, my purchased music from Google Play that's in the YouTube Music App, and the YouTube Music App. Feeling a little displaced at times!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My solution was Pandora at work and YouTube Music's website on my desktop at home with ad block. Also use ad block to stop ads on YouTube.

Was a happy paying customer for over 5 years but they straight up canceled my service and now want me to sign up for a more expensive service with a TERRIBLE APP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred