Playing Music in car, no bluetooth or aux input stereo

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm just wondering if I have any other options than an FM Transmitter? Have any of you used anything other than aux or bluetooth? What did you use?

WLH7M

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
So no FM transmitter, no Aux, and no Bluetooth? You've successfully eliminated every current way of playing your tunes thru a smart phone. Either a cassette adapter or just put your headphones on.

Maybe you could invent a mobile wifi hot spot that will sync to your phone in your car...

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
i guess i may have been misleading. i'm willing to use an FM Transmitter. i was just checking if there is some other way that i didn't know about.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
This is rather ironic as a bud of mine was talking to me about this subject..

At this time there is no way to output fm signals as no smart phone on the market has an output for transmissions like that..

Even if our phone could transcode fm you wouldn't be able to reverse the transcode as we can with wifi (hence tethering)..

Hope that clears things up~

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You can always use the old fashioned cassette adapter.

This is what I use in my '97 Chrysler Concord. No CD, no Bluetooth, no auxiliary jack... (But my 2012 Ford Focus was ordered on 6/1... I keep tell myself to be patient.) Anyhow, the cassette adapter works great!

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
So no FM transmitter, no Aux, and no Bluetooth? You've successfully eliminated every current way of playing your tunes thru a smart phone. Either a cassette adapter or just put your headphones on.

Maybe you could invent a mobile wifi hot spot that will sync to your phone in your car...

Well, don't new Chrysler vehicles have optional wifi? Its a start, lol.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

ravenroost

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
If still interested in finding a good solution, don't waste your time buying an fm transmitter at a store which may cost $30 or so and have very weak signals. I bought one for $35 at target and took it back the next day. It was crap. Then I bought one on Ebay from some Chinese seller for less than $5 and it is great- sounds like a strong radio station.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been happy with a motorola unit. I can't remember the model number but it is a visor clip mount. It can be used as a stand alone hands free speaker phone or you can use the fm transmitter to play via car speakers. Very portable too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If you go the FM transmitter route, remove your antenna from your car. The actual physical antenna on the outside of the car (if you can). Makes a world of difference. I did this on my old car. Sounded great. With antenna on it was constant static and noise.

Sent from my VM670

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
If you go the FM transmitter route, remove your antenna from your car. The actual physical antenna on the outside of the car (if you can). Makes a world of difference. I did this on my old car. Sounded great. With antenna on it was constant static and noise.

Sent from my VM670

You don't have to remove the phisical antenna, just unplug it from the back of the radio.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Most old car radios use the antenna lead as the main ground also.

Exactly. And also, in most cases it's easier to unscrew the antenna than it is to get to the back of the radio and unplug it.

Removing the physical antenna also allows you to put it back on easily if you need the radio working. I kept mine in my trunk.

blacksecond

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
If you're still interested, and depending on what kind of vehicle you have, there is a solution that will plug into the back of your car stereo that will create an aux input. It only works for late model vehicles, basically anything that was made in the past ten years. A few different companies make this product, check out PAC-audio, peripheral electronics and scosche for compatibility with your vehicle.

They can be pretty expensive but will give you the best sound available.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. And also, in most cases it's easier to unscrew the antenna than it is to get to the back of the radio and unplug it.

Removing the physical antenna also allows you to put it back on easily if you need the radio working. I kept mine in my trunk.

Did you know removing the antenna is like putting the tailgate down on truck to improve gas mileage. It actually harms the aerodynamics of the vehicle and will cause you to lose gas mileage.

Im kidding..but seriously removing your antenna would seem logical. Only thing is if your antenna has the threads I would find a short bolt and put in its place. Keeping crud out and "preserving" the connection for when it needs to be reattached should be a priority.

FybrOptx

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This is what I used (until the fuse blew): Scosche Audio Input FM Modulator.

It basically connects inline to your antenna and adds an aux input. When you plug your phone in via aux cable and turn it on, it drowns out a lower FM station, sorta like an FM transmitter on steroids. Now, I mentioned that I used it until the fuse blew. When it blew, it took the housing with it. I don't know if i damaged it when I installed it or not but it fried the electronics inside the unit either way; I tried replacing the fuse and housing but no go. I ended up getting a CD-less head unit that only does AM/FM/Aux/USB/SD.

Anyway, take it FWIW.

Max Fade

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This has to be the most valuable response. Thank you. Continued...

Cassette tapes work with a headphone (3.5mm) jack, that every(thing/one) nowadays has. now that everybody has a way to connect to an audio system, wouldn't it be great to hook it up with Bluetooth..."like everyone with a smartphone now has?" for those of you who have used Bluetooth to control your music, you know...there is no better way to play music! either way, have it or not, wouldn't it be cool to have a Bluetooth Gadget/Widget/Box that can connect with the 3.5mm jack that works with your music player (home sound system, car, stereo, TV) like a usual Bluetooth device (>>,>,II,<,<<, and one more button)? no matter if you have an Android or iPhone or WHATEVER, you can bring the BOX with you. This is NOT a music player. It's an ADAPTER between SPEAKERS and your UNLIMITED music LIBRARY. All you need is something that makes music LOUDER (than your phone, comp, iPad/iPood). TVs, stereos, cars, are accessible in a lot of situations so please give this some thought

3.5mm jack can always PLAY ON and FROM and convert from/to (for under $3):
-RCAs...red and white (works in hotels 100% of the time in 100% of the world)
-3.5mm male or female...your regular headphone jack
-cassette tape (god bless your vehicle)
-98% of TVs & radios nowadays
-if you can't find one around you...MOVE your **** off the couch and find one OR find someone who'll do it for you :) cheers.

Tito Cardona

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
are you serious #11 ?? i was thinking about doing that but, fm or am needs a unit to convert radio signal into "sound" right? so my device has that... pluging jack into that device may cause trouble right?