Please Post Your Average Battery Life/Screen Time (No Fibbing Please)

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am normally on wifi the majority of the day so I know that helps. I would say that on average I'm getting about 18 hours of use with about 3 - 3 1/2 hours of screen-on time on one charge. As I guess we all know this can vary pretty wildly depending on what (if anything) the phone radios are doing to search for service when out and about. Poor cell service can kill a battery as badly as watching hi-def movies for hours on end. My worst day usage was about 12 hours and about two hours of screen on time but that was last week up in the Berkshires and most of those towns have limited cell service. Stockbridge has none whatsoever so the phone was really doing fits while there.

Once or twice I have exceeded 24-30 hours but, to be honest, I wasn't doing that much with the phone when I got that kind of usage. For example, right now I'm at 82% battery use with 1 hour 6 minutes of screen-on time. Battery was unplugged 6 hours, 36 minutes ago.

So I was wondering what most of you are averaging without jazzing things up or going into 'ultra power saving mode' or stuff like that. We're looking for real world battery life with length of screen-on time.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I get about 12 - 14 hours on a full overnight charge. I am very hard on the phone, about 4 - 5 hours of screen time a day. 50 / 50 WiFi to network. I do leave the phone on 24 / 7 as my life at the moment requires it. Overall I am very happy with the S5. It is about 20% better than my S4 was. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
One, additional point I do have power saver mode turned on. No ultra power saver though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is my average... I used to get 6 until I installed apps that sync... I'm gonna change settings and see if I can get 6 hrs back

5ama5y8a.jpg

apumu7ah.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I rarely use the phone other than for playing music when I walk the dog or go to the supermarket. Plus, when not in use, I leave it in Ultra Power Saving Mode.

As a result I average: 8 days of battery use down to 20% of battery charge left using one hour and 40 minutes of screen time during that period.

Total battery use for all functions including screen time averages 20 hours during that period. One calculates that number by dividing screen time by screen percentage of use.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a few apps turned off or uninstalled that I would never use but other than that, I have everything else on. I haven't dumbed it down to save on battery life :) I didn't take a screen shot last night but this is average...1 day 17 hours with like 10 or 11% battery power left. I think screen time was just under 4 hours. I posted this earlier today on another thread. I'm at home most days all day. Live out in the country and show 2-3 bars. I don't' use my phone like the younger crowd does and have a land line.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My use varies so much from day to day, that I don't have "an average".

On the weekends, it is mostly idle.... I'm a 4x10hr day worker, so Fri-Sun it idles and putters along on a single charge.

Work days, sometimes the crew I'm with hits a snag, so I'm reading the newspapers and following the forums. That usually chews up about 50 to 60 percent of the battery.

With a Qi charger pad, I don't worry about the USB port cover anymore, just drop the phone on the pad and take a nap... pick it up and go and not worry if it is "full" or not. Usually though, it is. the Qi charger will top it off in less than 3 hours.

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I also cannot speak to an average. Normally, I can get 2 days use out of a full charge, sometimes almost 3. However, I use GPS when driving or hiking. Occasionally, the GPS seems to get stuck "on" and that will drain the battery in less than a day. GPS is the most intense use I make of the phone. When I look at the discharge curve in GSAM, steep discharge is always when I am driving or hiking with the "My Tracks" app enabled.

WiFi is connected perhaps 20 hours/day but only rarely used. I use wi-fi calling (T-Mobile network). All other uses are rare in comparison.

Right now, my phone is showing 1 day and 9:32 hours use, and is at 75% charge. But I've pretty much been stuck at home for the last two days, so phone use has been minimal.

I usually run the charge up to 100% daily using wireless charging on a TYLT pad. That's so much easier than dealing with the USB charger!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Odd on your GPS....

I leave mine on "High Accuracy" all the time, never turn it off.
It only consumes power when it is being used. When idle, it quits looking at the sky.

I will have about 40% battery at the end of a very heavy day of use, or at the opposite extreme it will provide me with a full five (5) days of use between charges.

It all depends on how much you use DATA or WIFI.

Turn those off and the battery will last forever.