Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Someone on here showed their data usage of with their phone going over 5GB a few months out of their service and never being charged extra for it. They only explicitly state a 5GB cap on Sprint for 3G mobile broadband services, same isn't said for phone data usage. It's possible that there's no cap on phone data usage whatsoever.
From my years of reading TreoCentral and WMExperts forums, going over the 5GB cap is like applying tethering hacks: some people have been charged, some people haven't, but Sprint's within their contractual rights to enforce it at their discretion. I've been tethering with PDANet and WMWifiRouter for years, but haven't been charged, but I've seen many forum members who have. It's like going 10mph over the speed limit: it's usually not enforced, but it can be at any time.

I think the issue for Sprint is that 98% of their bandwidth abuse issue come of 2% of their customers -- people constantly downloading torrents and running Pandora over EVDO instead of their ISP. Of course, now that Sprint is charging a fee for truly unlimited data, users are within their rights to use it.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They'd probably still hit you with an overage if they find you're using data at rates out of the norm, suspecting tethering etc. I'm sure they'll be able to tell how much goes through what network(WiMAX, EVDO, 1xRTT). I don't know but how much is the Tethering/phone as modem fee for Sprint? I've read Verizon's is an extra $15 a month or something.

xSIN1134x

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think with data usage becoming the norm and being more widely used over voice and the fact that phones are becoming more like a computer this was bound to happen. I am glad it gets me off the 30 bb data package. Thats already 20 bucks down what I am paying.

GenericMusings

May 24, 2010
Visit site
What happens in 9 mos when this isn't Sprint's premier phone?

As long as the EVO doesn't feel like my 6-06-2009 Pre does, I will continue to use the EVO.

Edit: And to the original question: I'm not exactly happy about the $10.00 premium, but I do live in a 4G area, so I will at least be able to reap the benefits.

Last edited:

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
What happens in 9 mos when this isn't Sprint's premier phone?
The Evo is supposed to be the first phone to get the Premium Data treatment, just like the Instinct was the first to require an Everything Plan. I'd be willing to bet that any 4G capable phone on Sprint will require the extra $10.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
eventually, this fee will be dropped, but until then, the world would be a better place if everyone would just quit the damn whining about it...

when you buy a Euro sports car, you pay more to put premium gas in it..
if you want to use cheap gas, buy a chevy

if you want no surcharge, buy a different phone..

My god, how difficult is it to understand this???????????

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
eventually, this fee will be dropped, but until then, the world would be a better place if everyone would just quit the damn whining about it...

Maybe because Sprint should not charge the extra $10 to people who cannot use 4g?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I don't know how this is going to get clarified enough, but the $10 fee is not for 4G usage, it is what they call a 'premium data experience.' The Evo will have the capacity to do a lot of things very well that a lot of phones do not. Also, add things like video chat and youtube HQ, and you have very heavy and data rich applications. In addition, Sprint (as well as everyone else) has a 5GB cap on data for their data plans. They don't cut you off after, but they might impose a throttle. These $10 gives you unlimited data access on both 3G and 4G networks.

I wish the fee was not added on, but I can sure understand why Sprint is doing it. I would rather pay an extra $10 to get the best phone on a hell of a network than pay $140 for a comparable plan from Verizon or ATT, both of which have inferior data networks to that of Sprint. Verizon is definitely the largest network, but it's not all quality. I ALWAYS get more consistent and faster speeds on my Pre than ALL of my friends do on a Droid.

So pay less for a better phone and a beter network, despite the $10 added on? Sign me up.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I don't know how this is going to get clarified enough, but the $10 fee is not for 4G usage, it is what they call a 'premium data experience.' The Evo will have the capacity to do a lot of things very well that a lot of phones do not. Also, add things like video chat and youtube HQ, and you have very heavy and data rich applications. In addition, Sprint (as well as everyone else) has a 5GB cap on data for their data plans. They don't cut you off after, but they might impose a throttle. These $10 gives you unlimited data access on both 3G and 4G networks.

I wish the fee was not added on, but I can sure understand why Sprint is doing it. I would rather pay an extra $10 to get the best phone on a hell of a network than pay $140 for a comparable plan from Verizon or ATT, both of which have inferior data networks to that of Sprint. Verizon is definitely the largest network, but it's not all quality. I ALWAYS get more consistent and faster speeds on my Pre than ALL of my friends do on a Droid.

So pay less for a better phone and a beter network, despite the $10 added on? Sign me up.

You buy into marketing dogma too easily. The $10 is for 4g, and that is true whether Sprint wants to admit or not. The only "premium" feature on this phone is its ability to access Sprint's 4g network. Your already paying for unlimited data so everything accessed on the phone over a regular 3g network would qualify under that. I shouldn't have to pay extra for a feature that someone other than myself get to enjoy.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I shouldn't have to pay extra for a feature that someone other than myself get to enjoy.

Couldn't agree with you more..
However, if you want this phone, and what it has to offer, that is the price of admission..

Not sure why this is still being discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more..
However, if you want this phone, and what it has to offer, that is the price of admission..

Not sure why this is still being discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...

Because the same tired old arguments are being used to support the fee (if $10 is that big of a deal than you shouldn't buy it, the $10 is for premium data not for 4g, Sprint offers the best package in wireless, etc). All of these false claims need to be addressed so that those few of us with a spine will not be the only ones letting Sprint know of our dissapproval of their new billing procedures.

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site

i agree with everything you said except the chevy part! i drive a c5 corvette and its bad ass ! and i always buy the good gas.. many mods to my vette as well..

just so you know im not bull sh1ting.... lol http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=298215&l=cb781cf0fe&id=1612817136

Last edited:

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Because the same tired old arguments are being used to support the fee (if $10 is that big of a deal than you shouldn't buy it, the $10 is for premium data not for 4g, Sprint offers the best package in wireless, etc). All of these false claims need to be addressed so that those few of us with a spine will not be the only ones letting Sprint know of our dissapproval of their new billing procedures.

if you look back , you seem to be the 1 of few who actually gripe about the 10 dollars. you sound like a fan boy to me. what i will miss about my pre is the brotherhood. the pre community is awesome. everyone working together for a common goal , make the phone better. and here we have ppl tearing down a phone they dont even have their hands on yet to even make a valid point.

web os seems to be the best os out but lousy hardware and stupid ppl making decisions about the platform. i come to android to see what it has , because of the evo. cant say i was even interested b4. seems to me you should either jump on board and push for a common goal, or continue to be a fan boy and bash that which you do not understand. and you cant understand it cause you were not one of the lucky few to get one early. or you would have proof of something to back up your bashing.
for those of us who understand the jist of what the 10 dollars is for , we keep an open mind until we have the evo in hand to see what it does specifically for us.
if you had proof maybe it wouldnt be so bad , but all you are doing is bashing other ppl's thought and feelings about the evo and the 10 dollars THEY WILL BE PAYING.