Poor Man's LTE Toggle

jbp100

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello all-

Long time lurker, but ran across some info that has saved me a ton of battery life. Since AT&T did not choose to put an LTE toggle in the settings, I have found a way to force the phone off of LTE. I was struggling to get through a full day of work before this and now my battery life is almost doubled of what it was. Part of the problem is that the software does not disable the LTE radio when the phone is on Wi-Fi, and I am not sure why this is. Anyhow, what you have to do is create a new APN and switch to it when you do not need LTE speeds.

Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Menu (Add new APN)

Name: HSPA+ (can name it whatever you want)
APN: phone
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Server: leave blank
Mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Mms port: 80
Mcc: 310
Mnc: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri (no spaces)

Then Menu and Save. This should let you have a new APN that will refuse to connect to LTE when it is not needed and has personally saved me tons of battery. You may have to put the phone in to airplane mode or sometimes reboot to get it to latch on to the new APN.

Hope this helps!!!

wtfmen

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! It worked for me. Only problen is I cant send multimedia messages but I can just put my LTE back on for that.
About makking purchases from the market, I tried it with a free app, a paid app, and an update to an app and it worked perfectly.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello all-

Long time lurker, but ran across some info that has saved me a ton of battery life. Since AT&T did not choose to put an LTE toggle in the settings, I have found a way to force the phone off of LTE. I was struggling to get through a full day of work before this and now my battery life is almost doubled of what it was. Part of the problem is that the software does not disable the LTE radio when the phone is on Wi-Fi, and I am not sure why this is. Anyhow, what you have to do is create a new APN and switch to it when you do not need LTE speeds.

Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Menu (Add new APN)

Name: HSPA+ (can name it whatever you want)
APN: phone
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Server: leave blank
Mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Mms port: 80
Mcc: 310
Mnc: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri (no spaces)

Then Menu and Save. This should let you have a new APN that will refuse to connect to LTE when it is not needed and has personally saved me tons of battery. You may have to put the phone in to airplane mode or sometimes reboot to get it to latch on to the new APN.

Hope this helps!!!

Wonder if this works on the skyrocket?