Portable Backup Battery Chargers

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually used my first one on the G1 and loved them since. Oddly enough now, they make a mini micro SD USB connector to fit all phones that use that size charger to charge the phone. Thankfully, the one from the G1 plus a retrofit micro usb to mini micro usb cord allowed me to save $$ ordering a new one.

Ok, so I lied... I order a new one as it seems to be a lot less cords. Anyone else use portable battery charges?

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for moving this as when I created it, I THEN saw the 'accessories' thread. So far, the portable charger from the G1 is only charging the MT4G about 60-80%. Might be because the unit has not been used and discharged and back again since I was using the G1. Or wondering if the retrofit is causing any issues?!?! Anyhow, still testing as the other one is in route.

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
(This is probably more information about external batteries than you really wanted, but here goes anyway)

I currently have three external / portable batteries that I use with my gadgets.

I started off 4 years ago with an APC 10WH battery I bought for around 40 dollars at Staples. It gave me about 2-3 recharges for my 60gb iPod video 5th gen. It only came with a USB to mini-USB cable in order to charge the battery itself from a PC.

The APC will charge my myTouch 4g at least one full charge, then maybe another half charge, and would add power to a Droid X. After almost 4 years, it still works, and I like the styling of it, for what that's worth. Just bring your own cables for your device...

I bought a 3 foot long, right-angle micro-USB to USB cable for around ten bucks from Amazon so I could coil the cord and charge the phone in a jacket pocket. This also worked well for me, not having the microUSB cable sticking out of the side of the phone. HIGHLY recommended!

Last summer I bought an Energizer XPAL 2000 MAH battery 'kit'. It came with a spiral-coiled cord and 'tips' to use for a variety of phones. (mini-USB, micro-USB, Samsung, Nokia, Apple, etc) I bought this for 35 dollars on Amazon after we had a three day power outage at work and everyone asked to use my APC charger to top off their phones.

The XPAL 2000 will charge a myTouch 4g or iPhone 4 about one full charge from 20% and then a little boost afterwards. It wouldn't charge my buddies Droid X for some reason. The battery is a little smaller than the APC unit, and shaped like a smaller myTouch, in that it's curved a bit on the corners. It's lightweight, and should work to double your battery capacity. It also came with a nice cloth pouch to hold the battery, cable and tips, and it can be charged from any powered USB port.

Then I went nuts and spent 55 dollars on a larger Energizer XPAL 4000 kit. This battery also came with a pouch, a spiral-coil cord, even more tips, and a clip thing that might be used to charge certain types of camcorder batteries.

I was able to charge a myTouch 4g, a Droid X, and top off a BB 9650. The thing has alot of juice, but it's pretty big to carry in a pocket, being about the size of a Droid X or an Evo 4G. One major disappointment is that you need to charge it from an AC adapter instead of from a USB port. If you go on vacation, that is one more AC adapter you will have to carry with you.

Then I went totally insane and bought a spare HTC battery for the phone for under 30 bucks. What can I say, I like overkill.

Overall, I'd say to get the 2000 or the APC if it's just the phone and maybe an iPod you care about, and get the 4000 if you are a generous soul who likes to share your spare electrons. And although the XPAL units came with cords, I almost always use the right-angle USB cable I got separately.

Links:
APC Universal Battery, 10WH (Amazon.com)
Startech right-angle MicroUSB to normal USB cable (Amazon)
Energizer XPAL 2000 smaller battery 'kit' (Amazon)
Energizer XP4000 larger battery 'kit' (Amazon)
HTC & Seidio internal batteries for your myTouch 4g (Android Central) ;)

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Is it the one T-Mo sells on their site: Unsupported Browser

(that's the link as it appears on a pop up window from FF 4 beta.)

This is the one I have everyone. Sorry it took so long to respond. Kinda missed this thread.

Amazon.com: T-Mobile Portable Back Up Battery Charger with USB Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

It will fully charge to MT4G as it would not charge the Cliq XT. It's compact and I rolled the cord into a ball. I have to charge it with the G1's adapter cord as the retrofit from mini USB to micro USB sorta works but you have to hold it. Oh no

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yaso - I was in Staples one day about a month ago and they had an Energizer pack for about $10 on the discontinued table. I wanted it but I was an outside worker and it was after hours. If I had seen it right when I came in, I would have gotten it. looked nice but I don't recall the model # or anything. I just watched a YouTube unboxing of the one I linked above. Hahlarious.

MadDog_

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
(This is probably more information about external batteries than you really wanted, but here goes anyway)

I currently have three external / portable batteries that I use with my gadgets.

I started off 4 years ago with an APC 10WH battery I bought for around 40 dollars at Staples. It gave me about 2-3 recharges for my 60gb iPod video 5th gen. It only came with a USB to mini-USB cable in order to charge the battery itself from a PC.

The APC will charge my myTouch 4g at least one full charge, then maybe another half charge, and would add power to a Droid X. After almost 4 years, it still works, and I like the styling of it, for what that's worth. Just bring your own cables for your device...

I bought a 3 foot long, right-angle micro-USB to USB cable for around ten bucks from Amazon so I could coil the cord and charge the phone in a jacket pocket. This also worked well for me, not having the microUSB cable sticking out of the side of the phone. HIGHLY recommended!

Last summer I bought an Energizer XPAL 2000 MAH battery 'kit'. It came with a spiral-coiled cord and 'tips' to use for a variety of phones. (mini-USB, micro-USB, Samsung, Nokia, Apple, etc) I bought this for 35 dollars on Amazon after we had a three day power outage at work and everyone asked to use my APC charger to top off their phones.

The XPAL 2000 will charge a myTouch 4g or iPhone 4 about one full charge from 20% and then a little boost afterwards. It wouldn't charge my buddies Droid X for some reason. The battery is a little smaller than the APC unit, and shaped like a smaller myTouch, in that it's curved a bit on the corners. It's lightweight, and should work to double your battery capacity. It also came with a nice cloth pouch to hold the battery, cable and tips, and it can be charged from any powered USB port.

Then I went nuts and spent 55 dollars on a larger Energizer XPAL 4000 kit. This battery also came with a pouch, a spiral-coil cord, even more tips, and a clip thing that might be used to charge certain types of camcorder batteries.

I was able to charge a myTouch 4g, a Droid X, and top off a BB 9650. The thing has alot of juice, but it's pretty big to carry in a pocket, being about the size of a Droid X or an Evo 4G. One major disappointment is that you need to charge it from an AC adapter instead of from a USB port. If you go on vacation, that is one more AC adapter you will have to carry with you.

Then I went totally insane and bought a spare HTC battery for the phone for under 30 bucks. What can I say, I like overkill.

Overall, I'd say to get the 2000 or the APC if it's just the phone and maybe an iPod you care about, and get the 4000 if you are a generous soul who likes to share your spare electrons. And although the XPAL units came with cords, I almost always use the right-angle USB cable I got separately.

Links:
APC Universal Battery, 10WH (Amazon.com)
Startech right-angle MicroUSB to normal USB cable (Amazon)
Energizer XPAL 2000 smaller battery 'kit' (Amazon)
Energizer XP4000 larger battery 'kit' (Amazon)
HTC & Seidio internal batteries for your myTouch 4g (Android Central) ;)
Yaso,

Thanks for the dissertation on your solutions.

Today I ordered the Energizer 2000 and also a couple of the right angle cables.

Thanks!

jamesperner

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
With Portable Backup Battery Chargers there is generally some loss when transferring charge from the battery power to your device, so you may not get two finish charges depending on the device you use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae