Possible to swap components between two identical phones?

bdeester

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have two 16GB Verizon Galaxy S4's at my disposal; one with a busted screen but running a rootable version of touchwiz, and I'm currently using the other device running safestrap (touchwiz ME7/google play edition ROMs.) Long story short, I'm unhappy with the complete lack of space running safestrap right now, so I am trying to find a way to make the old device with the broken screen usable again.

My real question is this: is it possible to just swap some of the internal components (perhaps just the motherboard) from the old device with the busted screen into the housing/screen of the new device? I'm trying to avoid messing with the screen/digitizers or any glued in parts if possible. Just to reiterate, both devices are full Verizon S4's. The only difference is one is running ME7 software and a working screen, while the other is running pre-ME7 software and has a completely broken screen/digitizer.

Any help with this is much appreciated! Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do know screen swaps are possible but you definitely have to know what you're doing.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine you can. But keep in mind that the system may show a different id than the sticker under the battery. It won't mean much if you use it but if you sell it or want warranty service then it could be an issue.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

bdeester

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
hmm. okay that's what I'm hoping. I really don't want to mess with removing either phones screen/digitizer. Anything that is glued into place I would like to leave alone, if possible. I'm also not worried about the warranty issues or reselling either device, but even so I should be able to steal the battery tray from the old device and use it so at least the sticker under the battery would correspond with the correct motherboard.

So maybe the easier way to think about this is, could I just remove the battery tray and motherboard from the old device with the broken screen and connect that to my current S4's screen/digitizer/housing? Keeping all other components in place?

Sorry if this is not making sense. I'm going to try swapping this parts tonight (hopefully) and will report back with my finidings

bdeester

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Mainly because last time I spoke with Verizon, given it was back in July, it would cost me much more than $99. I'd have to replace the screen and digitizer. I could get it fixed elsewhere, but if I'm going to do something that might cause warranty issues anyway, I'd rather mess with it on my own. But like I said, if I can actually fix this just by unscrewing a few components and swapping them to another device, I'd like to explore that option first.

Plus, where's the fun in paying someone to fix it when I can tinker with it myself? lol

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Mainly because last time I spoke with Verizon, given it was back in July, it would cost me much more than $99. I'd have to replace the screen and digitizer. I could get it fixed elsewhere, but if I'm going to do something that might cause warranty issues anyway, I'd rather mess with it on my own. But like I said, if I can actually fix this just by unscrewing a few components and swapping them to another device, I'd like to explore that option first.

Plus, where's the fun in paying someone to fix it when I can tinker with it myself? lol

Not having 2 broken phones instead of just one...?

bdeester

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Not having 2 broken phones instead of just one...?

Just a little bit of sarcasm there. I realize the risk involved with this. As it sits right now, one of the phones is useless to me any way, so I am going to mess around with that one first.

I appreciate the input guys. I'll let you know how it turns out

bdeester

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so initially everything looks promising. I swapped motherboards and I have yet to see any non-working components. I even went so far as to root the device and all still seems well

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so initially everything looks promising. I swapped motherboards and I have yet to see any non-working components. I even went so far as to root the device and all still seems well
Cool, keep us updated.
Did you happen to take any photos during the surgery? I would love to see what you did for the transplant.