Post your S8 reviews here!

Barry Burns1

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I actually like my S8 fairly well. But Samsung has done some things that raise my ire: first the whole bait and switch tactic of saying you get a 256G and headphones for $99 if you pre-order. Seems the fine print say "limited" quantity. I would say nearly non-existent as I tried within 30 minutes of receiving my phone and it seems there are a ton of others who tried and failed. Very, Very Shady. Secondly they said they would have a no-questions asked return policy...I tested that and could not return my phone.

Other things that don't work well: fingerprint reader, facial recognition, iris scanner, Bixby and Google Now. All of the security recognition are spotty at best. The fingerprint is the most reliable, but sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get it working again and it is right next to the camera (bone head placement):( It is also difficult to reach the fingerprint reader one handed and it takes alot of effort to get your finger just right. Might as well type in my password!!! Bixby right now is totally worthless. Hopefully it will mature, but I am not setting much expectations here as all other Samsung software is crapware.

Unfortunately the S8 appears to have broken Google Now:( I use to be able to click on an article, read it and then hit the X to exit and return to Google Now. The hitting the X to return to Google Now no longer works...it just goes back to the home screen. They really need to fix that NOW.

If anyone wants to buy a slightly used S8 for a discount let me know...as I think I'll be selling mine:D

gadgetjim

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I have had my S8 Plus for 20 days now. Yes, there are a few flaws and disappointments, but overall, the Galaxy S8 Plus is a beast !!! Battery life is amazing. I am consistently getting around 9 hours Screen On Time, which is awesome ! Very fast and smooth. Transferring files is a breeze. 64GB Internal Storage. The 256GB Micro-SD Card is working fine. VR is totally rad. AKG Harmon Bluetooth Headphones are very good quality sound. This S8 Plus is real a workhorse .... I can accomplish everything that I need: Journaling, Personal Business, Appointments, Mapping routes to work (different job assignments everyday), syncs with my Gear S perfectly, Editing many different types of files, excellent camera (both pictures and video), beautiful display, tons of features, Wireless Charging, watching videos, listening to music, checking News, G-mail, Texting, Facebook Messenger, 540 apps installed (no problems). I would give the S8 Plus a 10+/10 ... !!!

Last edited:

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I actually like my S8 fairly well. But Samsung has done some things that raise my ire: first the whole bait and switch tactic of saying you get a 256G and headphones for $99 if you pre-order. Seems the fine print say "limited" quantity. I would say nearly non-existent as I tried within 30 minutes of receiving my phone and it seems there are a ton of others who tried and failed. Very, Very Shady. Secondly they said they would have a no-questions asked return policy...I tested that and could not return my phone.

Other things that don't work well: fingerprint reader, facial recognition, iris scanner, Bixby and Google Now. All of the security recognition are spotty at best. The fingerprint is the most reliable, but sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get it working again and it is right next to the camera (bone head placement):( It is also difficult to reach the fingerprint reader one handed and it takes alot of effort to get your finger just right. Might as well type in my password!!! Bixby right now is totally worthless. Hopefully it will mature, but I am not setting much expectations here as all other Samsung software is crapware.

Unfortunately the S8 appears to have broken Google Now:( I use to be able to click on an article, read it and then hit the X to exit and return to Google Now. The hitting the X to return to Google Now no longer works...it just goes back to the home screen. They really need to fix that NOW.

If anyone wants to buy a slightly used S8 for a discount let me know...as I think I'll be selling mine:D

Odd behaviour there...I agree Bixby is a pain in the a** but I have had no problem with any of the recognition methods you describe. I also don't agree that "all other Samsung software is crapware". The stock Samsung software on my old Note 4 (TouchWiz, Email, Messaging, Phone etc) was fairly horrible, but in general I find these have been hugely improved on the S8. It sounds to me you might prefer a Pixel (also great phones!)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S8plus for 17 days now. my two previous phones were very nice, Note 4 and S7 Edge; the S8plus is a very nice upgrade from those two. had they placed the fingerprint scanner in a more appropriate place on the back, I would say this is the best phone ever created. my fingerprint scanner on the S7edge was dead on perfect, and this is a step back, IMO. however, Sammy has made me stupid happy with everything else about this phone. speed, display, ease of use, battery life, and camera...all are above average. the standby time on the battery just blows me away. go to bed with 64% wake up 5 hours later with 62%. 40 minutes later on the charger, 100%. this is with the default settings out of the box. I've added several dozens of apps since I've had the phone, and the battery life is still blowing my mind. for the first six or seven days, I didn't even try to use any of the security features, but then I tried them all. the fingerprint scanner is a huge pain to use if you're in a hurry, because while you WILL get used to it, you will also inevitably smudge the camera lens over the course of a days use. it's fast, and accurate, but it's simply in a bad spot. I've opted for facial recognition, and it works very well, and you don't have to be dead on for it to recognize your face. a natural position for you holding the phone to unlock it is just fine, it should catch your face easily. the other thing I'd like to mention is Gorilla Glass 4, 5 or whatever...this thing is fragile AND slippery. drop tests all over the place are saying from 3 feet and up, the phones are cracking on first drop. if you're a phone dropper (and I'm not) get a case, or at least a Dbrand skin. I'm using the otterbox symmetry and spigen neo hybrid, the former will not allow wireless charging, the Spigen will. but the symmetry offers much more protection for your buck. Love this phone, can't wait for Samsung to fix the fingerprint scanner next year on the S9.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The finger print system to me, allows operation with one hand.
I really like it
Took a few hours to learn it. Touch the finger print sensor and press.
The previous models like the S7E and the Note 7,require 2 hands.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Well I have to say my new S8+ is quite the phone. Quality wise I think this is the best phone Samsung has made to date. I also own an iPhone 7 Plus which is what I am making my comparison too. My last Android was a Galaxy s5, which was a terrible phone.

Interface is very nice but could see it being a bit confusing at times for anyone that is a novice user. Even as an advanced user I had some difficulties understanding it at times.

Very fast device so far and Samsung has already provided two updates for the phone. Button reaction is very smooth and precise. Fingerprint sensor is good and works about 90% of the time.

It's nice to have the additional screen face over the 7 Plus. I also like the additional customization I can do to the phone. Overall I love this phone and give it a 10 out of ten.

Chuckydiesel

May 21, 2017
Visit site
About a week after I got my S8, the microphone stopped working. After an hour on the phone with support, and several more hours dealing with the rep in Best Buy for Samsung, I ended up sending phone back to Samsung to repair/replace (I ordered directly from Samsung). I just got an email telling me they're sending my phone back unrepaired; no explanation. I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow, but this is bull**** for an $800 phone.

afctee

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I watched countless video reviews on the S8 Plus. Even had peer pressure from close internet friends to purchase one. So, 24th May, I did just that (and got the free stuff that Samsung are offering).

It is now almost 24 hours later and to put it simply, I'm impressed. And today UPS delivered my Ringke Slim case via Amazon. So, yeah, happy.

I was quickly reminded of all the options one has with Android. Customisation in particular. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but...

afctee

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
About a week after I got my S8, the microphone stopped working. After an hour on the phone with support, and several more hours dealing with the rep in Best Buy for Samsung, I ended up sending phone back to Samsung to repair/replace (I ordered directly from Samsung). I just got an email telling me they're sending my phone back unrepaired; no explanation. I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow, but this is bull**** for an $800 phone.

Sorry for your experience. What was the outcome...?

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I switched from iPhone6 to Samsung GalaxyS8+.Although I am not a Samsung fan.but after the launch of Galaxy s8 and s8 Plus, I completely fall in love with this Samsung fabulous device which provides you a special experience during use this handset. Ya, I know that it’s an Android Smartphone and I am not an Android lover but instead of it I didn’t care about it and bought it instantly because of its eye touching display technology woohoo to feel Still, its performance is not that much great as phone but I guess substantial with Android which is pretty well.
Some of its Features you may check over here SMARTGADGETS.TODAY

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Fingerprint sensor is good and works about 90% of the time.

You should be getting it right 99.9999% barring a dirty sensor or finger.

I just wanted to offer up a tip for those that are having fingerprint sensor issues. Most of you more experienced users probably already know this. I'm not suggesting FD that you aren't experienced.

When setting up the sensor with the digit of choice don't be afraid to rotate the finger or thumb from right to left, left to right...think of a clock face and move your finger or thumb from 9 o clock to three o clock so it can read at 10, 11, 12, 1, 2 each time. Continue until the reader is finished. I understand that the placement of the 8 series promotes the fore finger but this works as a general rule for most of the later generation sensors..

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
You should be getting it right 99.9999% barring a dirty sensor or finger.

I just wanted to offer up a tip for those that are having fingerprint sensor issues. Most of you more experienced users probably already know this. I'm not suggesting FD that you aren't experienced.

When setting up the sensor with the digit of choice don't be afraid to rotate the finger or thumb from right to left, left to right...think of a clock face and move your finger or thumb from 9 o clock to three o clock so it can read at 10, 11, 12, 1, 2 each time. Continue until the reader is finished. I understand that the placement of the 8 series promotes the fore finger but this works as a general rule for most of the later generation sensors..

I fully understand what you are saying and thank you for the advice but I believe my case is what is causing the problem. It is a deep opening not allowing me to place my finger properly on the sensor all the time.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I fully understand what you are saying and thank you for the advice but I believe my case is what is causing the problem. It is a deep opening not allowing me to place my finger properly on the sensor all the time.

Roger that..the case will make the difference.

Lazette Taylor

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I love my S8+. At first I wasn't sure if i liked the placement of the finger sensor, but now it's no problem at all. And just when I thought this phone couldn't get any better I got the Bixby Voice and now it's even more brilliant! Bixby Voice puts circles around Siri!

dpadams6

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I love my S8+. At first I wasn't sure if i liked the placement of the finger sensor, but now it's no problem at all. And just when I thought this phone couldn't get any better I got the Bixby Voice and now it's even more brilliant! Bixby Voice puts circles around Siri!
Do you feel it's better then, "ok Google" ?

EthanStark

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
he best-looking phone around crushes it in performance, battery life, water-resis but Its awkwardly placed fingerprint reader leads to camera smears and longer unlock times, which is aggravating when you use it to unlock your phone dozens of times a day.
The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.

Ethan Stark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred