Predictions: When will the Sprint GNex be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAS8823

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
You can open a new account providing your own cell phone, and still retain your 'new phone discount' for a later date.

Unfortunately this is not a valid option. I spoke to Sprint about doing this and was told the sign up phone credit is ONLY available when signing up, and if I chose to activate my own phone I would lose it. I was hoping to do the same thing as the above user. I think it's a poor business model personally as this only prevented me from signing up for sprint at all, and has me seriously considering going with Verizon now since they are offering double data and GNex for $99. Unless Sprint releases this phone soon. By the 2nd qtr this will only be a mid level phone with current specs and a terribly dated. "Flagship" Being cdma it's already lost pure Google phone status, Sprint is really dropping the ball postponing the release date til after MWC.

End rant :-$

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately this is not a valid option. I spoke to Sprint about doing this and was told the sign up phone credit is ONLY available when signing up, and if I chose to activate my own phone I would lose it. I was hoping to do the same thing as the above user. I think it's a poor business model personally as this only prevented me from signing up for sprint at all, and has me seriously considering going with Verizon now since they are offering double data and GNex for $99. Unless Sprint releases this phone soon. By the 2nd qtr this will only be a mid level phone with current specs and a terribly dated. "Flagship" Being cdma it's already lost pure Google phone status, Sprint is really dropping the ball postponing the release date til after MWC.

End rant :-$

I'm willing to bet the rep you spoke with doesn't have 8+ years Sprint experience, nor likes what they do for a living.

If you live in the state of MA or anywhere in SWFL, i will give you the name, number, address of nearly 10 locations that can accomplish this for you, as it's normal business practice.

If you walk into any sprint store, with a clean, ready to activate ESN, and say you want to activate a new line of service, you will have reps jumping over one another to help.

They don't have to 'sell' you anything, they simply plug your ESN into the appropriate field, and away you go.

"Sign up phone credit" no such terminology.

The upgrade credits are system based, and based on activation of an ESN that has NEVER been activated before.

So unless your 'used' device, has never been activated on the sprint network previously, your upgrade credit will stand as normal.

Still skeptical?

Do the following: Proceed with activating your used device to a new line. (you have a 14 day trial period to cancel), I'd say give it maybe 24hrs, or even 48hrs, or day 13, i don't care, then ask sprint or look up online @ sprintrebates.com with your number, and see what promotion is available to you as an upgrade.

There is your answer if it says you have a $150 credit towards a new device (which in itself is a fictitious number, since the available promotions on upgrades are always better than $150 off retail pricing).

If the upgrade isn't there, then I'm apologizing upfront. But you would be the first person to prove me wrong in this situation, as described herein.

Enjoy:cool:

AAS8823

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt reply. That's a real shame the rep who assisted me was clueless or didn't care to be up front with me. I was ready to sign up when this took place. Unfortunately I am now a little weary to move forward as I've priced out the GNex on Verizon (on Amazon for $99) and a family plan with double data and about to go that route as I stated in my previous post.

I still would rather go with Sprint but the lack of details on G'Nex release date and no firm information on whether the Sprint model will be "upgraded" due to being released so late has me questioning if it will really be worthwhile in the end. My area also isn't slated to begin testing for Sprint's LTE network until June and probably won't officially go live until the Fall/Winter 2012 (Los Angeles Metropolitan area), and Verizon already has a solid LTE network that flies up and running.

Why can't Sprint just let us know exactly when they are planning to release the damn phone and what the specs will be!! Would make it much easier for me to just decide what I'd rather do, Sprint's pricing and truly unlimited data plan leaves me desiring to still keep them in consideration. Did your sources at Sprint mention what the final specs on the Sprint version might be?

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt reply. That's a real shame the rep who assisted me was clueless or didn't care to be up front with me. I was ready to sign up when this took place. Unfortunately I am now a little weary to move forward as I've priced out the GNex on Verizon (on Amazon for $99) and a family plan with double data and about to go that route as I stated in my previous post.

I still would rather go with Sprint but the lack of details on G'Nex release date and no firm information on whether the Sprint model will be "upgraded" due to being released so late has me questioning if it will really be worthwhile in the end. My area also isn't slated to begin testing for Sprint's LTE network until June and probably won't officially go live until the Fall/Winter 2012 (Los Angeles Metropolitan area), and Verizon already has a solid LTE network that flies up and running.

Why can't Sprint just let us know exactly when they are planning to release the damn phone and what the specs will be!! Would make it much easier for me to just decide what I'd rather do, Sprint's pricing and truly unlimited data plan leaves me desiring to still keep them in consideration. Did your sources at Sprint mention what the final specs on the Sprint version might be?

Ultimately the choice is yours alone. You need to make sure the carrier, the plans, and the coverage make sense.

LTE is new to everyone, Verizon LTE is not even in my area, just because I'm not in a city that shows up as a star on the map... So who knows how long it would take any carrier to blanket every tower they operate. It's a waiting game at best.

I have zero feedback on the final specs - you'd have to be @ the engineering level to be in that circle of knowledge. The specs will most likely be leaked online before any of my contacts even know, just the fact of life in the industry i guess.

I remember when the Palm Pre was announced in January of 2009, nothing like it at the time, online everyday waiting for more info, release date, etc etc.. I even think it was supposed to release in May of 2009, but was bumped to June 2009. Could be the same deal with the Galaxy Nexus - you just don't know unless your somehow included in a very elite level of communication, or can at least intercept that communication.

I do know for certain, if its new news, and hasn't been posted, you'll be hearing from me.:cool:

I hate the waiting games as much as the next guy.;)

At this point, I'm 70% confident of an April release time frame. Once knowledgeable Sprint reps (the ones who go store to store, not the sales team) start getting excited, they sometimes can't keep there mouths shut. Some of them even carry prototypes (i saw the EVO months before release dates were announced).

At the moment, with my insiders, its still just chatter, but like i said, once people start getting excited, you know its on the move.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
come on Hesse. release the phone already. this is getting ridiculous. we haven't had anything worthy to upgrade to in a long long time. and we are in a Wimax/LTE limbo right now. every Wimax phone is essentially obsolete right now. come on Hesse.

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
This has probably been posted here before, but my prediction is April 1st 2012 and here's the logic. Everyone in my family who bought an EVO 4g on launch day has their full upgrade available on that date. I think sprint would strike while the opportunity is red hot for these customers and as far as I know the Evo was the second highest launch date device in sprint history (first being the iPhone). Sorry if this was a repost.

If you bought an Evo 4g on launch date you can check your upgrade date on these sites:

http://www.bestbuymobile.com/upgradechecker

http://radioshackwireless.com/template/simpleautocontent.aspx?pageid=9484

Gtronic

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I check this forum 3-4 times a day just begging for new inforamtion on a release date . I want this phone!!!!!

April 1st works for me :cool:

ThaBomb

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been patiently waiting for the Sprint GNex. If there is no announcement within the next month, I'll be forced to upgrade to the SGSII (just to get rid of this iPhone.) Please Sprint, pleaseeeee release some information.

P.S. I expect this to be post 1 of many on the android forums, pleased to meet y'all.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Donta79

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about storage, but maybe Sprint is just waiting for a revamped Galaxy Nexus which may include a 1.5 GHz processor (Verizon's Galaxy Nexus sports a 1.2 GHz TI OMAP4460)...or possibly even an awesome 8MP camera! With panorama mode and no shutter lag, that would totally stick it to the man (the iPhone 4S).

Source: Android and Me (Refreshed Galaxy Nexus Plus with faster CPU and improved camera on the way? | Android and Me)

Upgraded Samsung Galaxy Nexus 32GB Smartphone Scrapped - Mobile Magazine

SOrry Bad news!

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This endgadget article is saying it is only the 32gb GSM version that has been cancelled (the only GSM version released so far).

32GB GSM Galaxy Nexus canceled, Google hopes you really like streaming -- Engadget

It still doesn't make sense why anyone would make a non-low-end phone with no SD card AND only 16 gb of space. This is one of the things I wish they would match the iPhone on, if they have a 16, 32 AND *64* gb version why not offer the same on android phones that lack an SD card?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i would take all of those reports with a grain of salt. none of them looked very credible to me.

regardless - i'll be happy with a 16GB or 32GB Sprint G-Nex. just release the thing!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi