Prime bootloader unlock tool

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
they were also hinting at a CM9 too... can't wait for that!

CM is nice, little too feature heavy for me. I like leaner more AOSP ROMs but the CM team does some great work for the dev community.

I'm going to try to wait for a bit for the bugs to all shake out before I start flashing stuff, try...really...hard...

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Noob question!

What does that do? And what's a Rom?

A ROM is the operating system but because Android is open source it can be customized by other developers outside of ASUS.

In order to install a ROM that isn't from ASUS you need to first unlock the bootloader which is what the tool does that ASUS released today.

Then once that's unlock you can install a custom recovery which is the tool used to backup and install other ROMs.

The reason people install custom ROMs is because it gives you better control over the device and can have a completely different look and feel or additional speed tweaks and over clocking.

It's a bit more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.

One thing to note that unlocking your bootloader will void your ASUS warranty so make sure you are good with that before proceeding

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Pandawg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
A ROM is the operating system but because Android is open source it can be customized by other developers outside of ASUS.

In order to install a ROM that isn't from ASUS you need to first unlock the bootloader which is what the tool does that ASUS released today.

Then once that's unlock you can install a custom recovery which is the tool used to backup and install other ROMs.

The reason people install custom ROMs is because it gives you better control over the device and can have a completely different look and feel or additional speed tweaks and over clocking.

One thing to note that unlocking your bootloader will void your ASUS warranty so make sure you are good with that before proceeding

Oh alright. Is this like rooting? The Transformer Prime is my first Android device :p

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh alright. Is this like rooting?

rooting is part of it usually, but it's not the same.

Rooting gives you higher level access within the ROM, custom or stock.

It's the same as having Administrator access on you computer. You can do things on your device that is normally prohibited.

You don't need to unlock the Prime or install a custom ROM to root the device.

Reactions: scottysize

Pandawg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
rooting is part of it usually, but it's not the same.

Rooting gives you higher level access within the ROM, custom or stock.

It's the same as having Administrator access on you computer. You can do things on your device that is normally prohibited.

You don't need to unlock the Prime or install a custom ROM to root the device.

Oh alright. Thanks for all the information :)

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I am personally waiting (Hoping) for a back door method. For what I paid and from the less than stellar performance of my Prime I am not willing to give ASUS the "Out" on replacing my Prime in the future by voluntarily voiding my warranty. Although most of my issues I am sure will be fixed by the dev community except for my WIFI problems so that may push me over the edge, especially if I see some kick butt reviews of a custom ROM soon. Hi my name is Billy and I am a flashaholic

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I am personally waiting (Hoping) for a back door method. For what I paid and from the less than stellar performance of my Prime I am not willing to give ASUS the "Out" on replacing my Prime in the future by voluntarily voiding my warranty. Although most of my issues I am sure will be fixed by the dev community except for my WIFI problems so that may push me over the edge, especially if I see some kick butt reviews of a custom ROM soon. Hi my name is Billy and I am a flashaholic

Yeah, that seems to still be up in the air right now. It looks like they are sending the serial home to ASUS who is doing something with it, encrypting, hashing etc., then sending it back to the device to use as it's unlock code.
That's not to say they won't get it but it's not looking like it'll be easy.
HTC uses the same method.

I've unlocked and installed virtuous already. I'm using the tablet in a method that isn't approved by Asus but they were nice enough to allow, if that comes with voiding the 1 year warranty so be it. There isn't any suggesting that unlocking means no warranty claims at all.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
You are correct that there isn't anything suggesting they will not but there isn't anything suggesting they will either. From corporate track records with this sort of thing I feel it is wise to assume the latter until we officially hear other wise from Asus.

Sent from my Dooderbutt powered Nexus S 4G using TapaTalk

PapaSmurf6768

Themer
Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1 year accidental warranty from best buy, so I had no problem unlocking mine. If I make the thing explode because of all the hax I'll just say it was an accident and best buy will take it :)

Sent via Tapatalk on my BAMFed out TBolt

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

That's one of the best explanations I've heard. Good job!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
looks like the first nightly of CM9 is almost ready, link hasn't been wired up yet

CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

but it's got some problems with the buttons and the keyboard dock. I'm holding off for a bit.

Hey mods! any chance we could get a dev sub forum?

Here's a kang of CM9 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1519042

and here's an early build of AKOP - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523011

The only ROM I have tried that's ready for prime time at this point is probably Virtuous, and it's way faster than stock.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia