PRL Swap for the V on VM (latest PRL for Sprint Towers).

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Please report back if you get any problems. I read 60680 can save you battery life by connecting to more towers? Is that true? Thanks.
If there is a closer tower that you weren't connecting to on the stock PRL then ANY of the new PRL files will reduce your battery drain provided that the nearer tower is included in the PRL. If there is no closer tower it won't help anything.

ppww

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I get little or no cell service inside my home. I've solved this with another family member's Sprint phone by installing an Airave (beginning with the original Samsung one, now replaced with the newer Airvana 3G version). My Virgin Mobile service is no better or worse with the Airave turned on; it seems to ignore it completely.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the Sprint PRL will allow the Optimus V to connect to the Airave and complete calls through it? Less concerned about data, since I can always use WiFi for that, but mostly wondering about voice calls. Any concern that trying this would violate the TOS and get my account(s) canceled? I know with the older non-smartphones, Virgin would send you a replacement flashed with Sprint firmware for use in an Airave environment, but I haven't been able to get through to anyone in customer service lately who even knows what an Airave is. (Used to have a phone number that rang directly to "Network Operations", aka Tier 3, who were only slightly more helpful than those on the front lines, but that was disconnected several months ago.)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
dunno. It just came out for Sprint users 2 days ago. I don't know if you just plop there's in on a VM phone. Did send MMarz a PM on the xda forums to see if he can look at it because I don't want to just throw it on my phone if there have to be changes made to be kosher with Virgin Mobile

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Installed 60681 on my phone. Works fine so far.

If you are using the Inferior Human Organs ROM and having trouble getting QPST to recognize your phone, reboot in to recovery. QPST should then see your phone.

Last edited:

bondbeau

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Source: [HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (3/24/2011) - xda-developers

[*]Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM

Oh my gosh...i really do want to try this. And i have everything ready...except...except...try as i might i simply cannot get the Port to show up in Device Manager as quoted in step #3 so i can edit it.

So of course QPST doesn't recognize the VM670 so i can enter the MSL Code (got that via the web method) and replace the PRL file.

Saw something on the web about a BIOS setting that needed enabled to show the ports in Windows 7 but i do not see anything like that in mine and don't think it applies.

Tried installing the drivers directly from LG's site of course...even for other CDMA carriers as well when the ones for Virgin didn't make anything show up. Humorously...they all install just fine but none of them connect the device, either in USB debugging mode or not.

HP Pavilion, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Optimus V (not rooted)

Does anyone please have any clues they might share? Aye de mi...it's just these little things that take hours and hours of frustration! :'(

Wonderful post and much appreciated to the OP!

Thanks,

bondbeau

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh my gosh...i really do want to try this. And i have everything ready...except...except...try as i might i simply cannot get the Port to show up in Device Manager as quoted in step #3 so i can edit it.

So of course QPST doesn't recognize the VM670 so i can enter the MSL Code (got that via the web method) and replace the PRL file.

Saw something on the web about a BIOS setting that needed enabled to show the ports in Windows 7 but i do not see anything like that in mine and don't think it applies.

Tried installing the drivers directly from LG's site of course...even for other CDMA carriers as well when the ones for Virgin didn't make anything show up. Humorously...they all install just fine but none of them connect the device, either in USB debugging mode or not.

Optimus V (not rooted)

Does anyone please have any clues they might share? Aye de mi...it's just these little things that take hours and hours of frustration! :'(

Thanks,

bondbeau

You must be using IHO? Reboot your phone to recovery, it should show up in qpst from there

bondbeau

May 12, 2011
Visit site
You must be using IHO? Reboot your phone to recovery, it should show up in qpst from there

Thanks kindly for your reply. No, completely stock ROM, as the thread said rooting was not necessary if i understood it correctly.

i must say i very much prefer not to do any resetting/recovery methods. i know it's not such a big deal perhaps to do that, but then neither was this PRL swap supposed to be terribly difficult you know?

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can still safely boot into the stock recovery. Turn off the phone, press and hold the home, volume down, and power buttons until the LG logo appears, then release all three. This should take you to the stock recovery, then see if QPST recognizes your phone. If so, go ahead and change your prl as outlined the tutorial, then just reboot. If QPST still doesn't work, just reboot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

0saka

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Optimus V (not rooted)

Thanks,

bondbeau
You don't need to do anything fancy, and yes, reading/writing with QPST is dead simple.

First, connect your phone to your computer, and turn the phone OFF. Then, open Device Manager in Windows. Under "View", make sure you check "Show Hidden Devices". Then, under Ports (COM & LPT), you should see at least one listing for "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port". I happen to have three such entries. You can see which one your phone is connected to by right-clicking each one and selecting "Properties". The one the phone is connected to will say "This device is working properly." (The ones that are not connected say "Currently, this hardware device is not connected..."). So now that you know which COM port your phone is on, open QPST and see if it has your phone listed. If not, add your COM port in the "Ports" tab. Now your phone will show up as listed, and then in QPST, you can click "Start Clients" and begin SERVICE PROGRAMMING.

It's a few steps, but can be done by anyone capable of following simple directions. Hope that helps.

bondbeau

May 12, 2011
Visit site
@Osaka
@Riggerman
@Pbailey212

Thank you all for your kind replies and suggestions!

Okay, the Ports did show up in Windows 7 once the phone was turned OFF in my case...and QPST was able to see the phone so i could assign COM4 to it...and i was able to upload PRL 60680 which a number of people in some later posts have seemed to indicate was the 'latest/greatest' list.

In other words...SUCCESS!!! :D:D:D

Results - Cellular signal strength: -85 to -90 dbm (about the same), 3G speed for test #1: 792 kbps up/388 kbps down and test #2: 381/249 (seemingly higher but super erratic).

Web pages apparently loaded significantly faster.

3G icon mostly stays lit both directions while in use instead of flickering so much.

But by far most significantly to me...i made two test calls to a voice mail number using VOIP on 3G...and the upstream did NOT stutter like it always did before!!!

Now, it's 2am here at the moment for me so probably few people are using the bandwidth and that means i'm trying to mediate being overexcited...but regardless of the time of day, i have NEVER EVER been able to make an intelligible connection for VOIP on VM's 3G until this new PRL. So that in itself indicates a big change for the better.

Now if this also helps keep the battery from dying so quickly if 3G is enabled (until now i mostly have been forced to keep it off) i will be even more impressed.

Again, thanks so very much for the replies and for the original post! (maybe the steps could be edited to include that some people might have to turn their phone off for the ports to appear?)

Cheers and humble regards,

bondbeau

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Installed 60681 on my phone. Works fine so far.

If you are using the Inferior Human Organs ROM and having trouble getting QPST to recognize your phone, reboot in to recovery. QPST should then see your phone.
That method hasn't worked for me so far. Consistently recognizes the COM port but always says no phone is connected.

Last edited:

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
That method hasn't worked for me so far. Consistently recognizes the COM port but always says no phone is connected.

I was reading on a different thread that it may not be the ROM but the recovery you are using. I am using CWM v3.2.0.1 and QPST recognizes the phone while in this recovery.

jralabate

Android Ninja
Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Now if I use a sprint prl will I be able to use V-Mo in places where there is no V-Mo but there is sprint?

Sent via Tapatalk using a LG Optumis V with IHO(all) CM7

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it wont make you go from 1 to 4 bars, but it does keep my 3g from going out in low signal qreas
That's the goal of the PRL swap. To let you connect to towers you couldn't before. If you're connecting to the same tower and have the same # of bars, it's not going to make any difference in your 3G.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci