Problem with charging port on Galaxy S8 following latest Android update.

lml2020

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Immediately following update (Release date: 07/24/2020 Android™ Security Patch Level: June 2020 Software Version: PPR1.180610.011.G950USQU7DTF4) experienced intermittent notification of moisture in charging port, disabling ability to charge phone. Tried a couple reboots holding power buttons, eventually fixed, only for notification to reappear few hours later. Another reboot fixed problem . . . so I thought.

Plugging phone into charger before bedtime indicated charge, only slow charge, could not convert to fast charge. This morning learned phone was not charging despite charge signal indicator n battery icon. Rebooted phone. Learned from previous day's problem, need to reboot without charger plugged in. Did the trick. Fast charged phone. About hour later, got notification of moisture in port. Going to Verizon tech support, unlike 10-20 years ago, is utterly useless. During effort, notification disappeared. Bottom line, something is not stable. Believe it's a software issue related to latest update. Need assistance. Perhaps a reinstall or troubleshoot.

lml2020

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for reply. Tried Safe Mode, but learned that when phone is plugged in, process is blocked. Phone got stuck in loop when tried with charger plugged into port. Samsung screen would appear, then go blank, then reappear with a vibrate, go blank, & so on. Was only able to successfully reboot by unplugging charger & holding down power button. As stated above, was able to successfully charge with reboot, only to receive notification again after a few hours. Have never done, nor considered a partition wipe. For reference, I am with Verizon Wireless, not T-Mobile. I am uncertain as to variance of Android OS versions among major carriers, but wish to highlight distinction.

Question I have, when enter safe mode, then what? May remedy problem (or not), but don't wish to use phone in safe mode. I only suspect that a reinstall may be a remedy. Dunno, because Verizon Wireless is unreachable, and just not what it used to be.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try cleaning your charger port with can of compressed air . Safe mode to see if problem persist and then exit out by rebooting the phone normally.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tried Safe Mode, but learned that when phone is plugged in, process is blocked.

I'm not sure what you mean by this -- are you saying that when the phone is plugged in, it doesn't allow you reboot into Safe Mode? Are you unable to unplug the phone and then reboot into Safe Mode?

Safe Mode is purely a troubleshooting step. If a problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you know that some app you installed is causing the problem. You would then have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

lml2020

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Update. Problem generally seems to have passed. No longer receiving moisture in port notifications; no longer having problem when plugging charging cord into port. However, ONLY issue remains may be charging cord specific - that is - doesn't easily fast charge when plug in, but slow charge is slower than slow, really trickle. Reason I note is when cannot get phone to fast charge, slow charge yields a 10-11 hour charge time, but if phone is turned off, charge time is reduced to roughly 2 hours. When fast charge is finally successfully obtained, charge time is about 40 minutes. Never encountered such "trickle" charge before.

With all above said, if app caused original problem, no apps have been uninstalled, but about a dozen have been updated past few days. So, possible app was source of problem. Amazing at lack of quality control with continual updates released like every few days.