PSA for AT&T Pixel 2 Owners

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I came across this article on Ars Technica about Android 8.1 features. One thing noted near the end of the article is that AT&T's VoLTE will work in 8.1. Quote below:

"I'll go out on a limb and say that while Voice over LTE (VoLTE) on AT&T did not work on the Pixel 2 on Android 8.0, it should now work on 8.1. In the vendor image, I see an MBN configuration file has moved from ".../ATT/Non_VoLTE" to ".../ATT/VoLTE."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...s-on-everything-new-in-googles-latest-update/

This makes me want to switch to Net10, TMobile, or Project Fi.

I've been considering this idea as well. I have my son's phone (Nexus 5X) on Project Fi now, partly because AT&T charged more for another line. I also wanted to try out Fi for myself. When I do pick up a Pixel 2 XL (c'mon panda!), I may make the jump there, and leave the wifey at AT&T and her branded Note 8. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I came across this article on Ars Technica about Android 8.1 features. One thing noted near the end of the article is that AT&T's VoLTE will work in 8.1. Quote below:

"I'll go out on a limb and say that while Voice over LTE (VoLTE) on AT&T did not work on the Pixel 2 on Android 8.0, it should now work on 8.1. In the vendor image, I see an MBN configuration file has moved from ".../ATT/Non_VoLTE" to ".../ATT/VoLTE."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...s-on-everything-new-in-googles-latest-update/

Well that is good news!

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I just received confirmation that HD Voice and Wifi Calling have been added to my line. I reached out to the AT&T social media team on twitter via DM and asked them why they were blocking these features for Pixel users, and that I was thinking of switching me and my wife to Verizon to take advantage of them.

They actually called me and explained that the Pixel 2 is approved for advanced calling features, but that the original Pixel is not. So they filed a system override request to add advanced LTE features to my line. My wife is on the original pixel, and the agent requested the override for her line too, but he said it probably won't work. So far, the confirmation I received is for my line only, not hers. The agent said it could take up to 15 days to take effect, but I'm not clear if that's for getting the approval or for me actually seeing the change. So far, I don't see any new settings or changes to the network status bar indicator, so fingers crossed.

Anyway, thought there may be some interest in this bit of news.
8.1 gave me that option by default

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can get VoLTE & wifi calling now on any capable device by dumping that trash provider. As a former almost-20-year customer that switched 4 lines to T-Mobile (as well as dumping DirecTV, landline & Digital Life home security), we get these advanced calling features on four unlocked devices plus free Netflix, for less $$. The coverage is a push, w/wifi calling making up for any areas that might lack T-Mobile coverage. I'm sure some will differ, but I see absolutely zero value with sticking with AT&T and should have made the switch far sooner. AT&T sucks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can get VoLTE & wifi calling now on any capable device by dumping that trash provider. As a former almost-20-year customer that switched 4 lines to T-Mobile (as well as dumping DirecTV, landline & Digital Life home security), we get these advanced calling features on four unlocked devices plus free Netflix, for less $$. The coverage is a push, w/wifi calling making up for any areas that might lack T-Mobile coverage. I'm sure some will differ, but I see absolutely zero value with sticking with AT&T and should have made the switch far sooner. AT&T sucks.
That's good it works for you but some may not be able to swap for a variety of reasons. It's always an option to consider but for some it may not be a valid one. Coverage and networks are super area dependent.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
That's good it works for you but some may not be able to swap for a variety of reasons. It's always an option to consider but for some it may not be a valid one. Coverage and networks are super area dependent.
For sure. Some might read scar tissue through several years as a customer, but I'm not a bitter person. Glad adv calling features are or will soon be available to at least some customers, and all Pixel 2/XL owners.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
VoLTE is not the same as HD Voice. You can have VoLTE without having HD Voice. HD Voice is a set of features, and it requires both sender and receiver to have this in order for it to work on a call. It's also essential for WiFi calling.

Check the fine print at the bottom of the page, from which I took the below excerpt:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Ffeatures%2Fwifi-calling.html&token=uWnqy3a4

To enable Wi-Fi Calling, must have postpaid wireless account provisioned for HD Voice.

In short, having VoLTE does not mean you have HD Voice, and if you don't have HD Voice you will not have WiFi calling.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
If "Advanced 4G LTE Mode" means VoLTE...It's turned on in my 8.1 on At&t as well.

Where is this setting? I'm assuming under Settings ---> Calls ---> ? I'm running Nougat on a Moto Z Play but my Pixel 2 arrives tomorrow (yeah!) , so I'm just curious.

I had no idea AT&T blocked advanced features on non-branded phones, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm guessing, from some of the posts here, that Verizon doesn't?

For those of you with some flexibiliby regarding your carrier, I left Sprint, which I had been with for 16 years, and moved to Republic Wireless three years ago. Their coverage model is based on using a tremendous amount of voice/text/data offloaded to WiFi and they've built a robust system to allow this. They use "adaptive coverage" and "bonded calling" when there are voice transmission and quality issues over WiFi to blend cellular and WiFi signals to improve call quality.

I switched before this new technology and my coverage was ok–the older system ran on Sprint's CDMA and since I had moved from Sprint, whose coverage was ok in my area, ok was acceptable, because I was only paying about $29 per month (including taxes) for about 4GB. The newer technology costs a little mre but it now runs on T-Mobile's GSM, which is far superior in my area, so I'm ok with paying a little more. If I hadn't had the WiFi calling I would have had almost no cell coverage at my house over the last few years. –When WiFi was out I had to go stand on my balcony or just go outside in hopes of getting a signal, which only happened sometimes.

Republic isn't a great deal for people who need a lot of data, but it's a great option for people who don't need a lot, or don't want to pay for a lot of data. And one caveat is that not all phones work on RW right now, but they're adding phones fairly quickly. Motorola, Samsung, Google, and a few others currently work.

Republic Wireless develops bonded calling technology to improve Wi-Fi call quality | FierceWireless

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...wireless.com%2Fwifi-calling%2F&token=pyfcsBkW

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Where is this setting? I'm assuming under Settings ---> Calls ---> ? I'm running Nougat on a Moto Z Play but my Pixel 2 arrives tomorrow (yeah!) , so I'm just curious.

[/url]

Settings / Network & Internet / Mobile network / Advanced /...Enhanced 4G LTE Mode ON/OFF

On 8.1 it will be turned on by default.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just talked to someone from AT&T. I have a post-paid plan and because I do not have an AT&T branded phone...no wifi calling. The rep tried to do an override and could not enable wifi calling. I still have my microcell at work (only place I would really need wifi calling), so it's minor inconvenience for me.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. Here in Morgantown, West Virginia, Verizon isn't king. AT&T is. When I moved here in 2012, T-Mobile had the presence and notoriety of a MVNO. 5 years later, I've heard they've made some advancements and have made more acquisitions.

Has anyone in here test driven another carrier?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Here in Morgantown, West Virginia, Verizon isn't king. AT&T is. When I moved here in 2012, T-Mobile had the presence and notoriety of a MVNO. 5 years later, I've heard they've made some advancements and have made more acquisitions.

Has anyone in here test driven another carrier?

I have used all 4 in my area. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon (in that order). I left AT&T due to the 5 GB hard cap on the old school unlimited plan (now reversed but took time for that). I went to Sprint and after a year wanted to shoot myself in the foot so I broke and left them. I was with T-Mobile for awhile and enjoyed it a lot but Verizon came out w/ unlimited and a deal at the time (free phones via bill credits) so people on my lines could swap with me and get free phones ... so now I am on Verizon unlimited for that reason. :p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d