PSA for AT&T Pixel 2 Owners

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google provides the updates for Pixel phones. If you don't like waiting for your carrier to allow the update to come through, then you can always opt to sideload the update.

There is no waiting on a carrier to "let it through" -- Google pushes them out in batches. The carrier isn't blocking anything :).

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Re: PSA for AT&T Pixel 2 Owners

Fi runs on T-Mobile (also Sprint and I believe US Cellular). The updates aren't carrier, location, or anything like that based so it doesn't matter. The only time it matters for Pixel phones is the Verizon version.. but Verizon release it the same time as Google so that works :).
I know Google pushes the update but I meant Fi gets approved the same time as tmo. I know people on Reddit had conducted that carriers do control when we get pixel updates. Sprint seems first, Att seems to be second to approve the update then verizon/tmo/Fi people.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: PSA for AT&T Pixel 2 Owners

I know Google pushes the update but I meant Fi gets approved the same time as tmo. I know people on Reddit had conducted that carriers do control when we get pixel updates. Sprint seems first, Att seems to be second to approve the update then verizon/tmo/Fi people.

I definitely would have to read their "findings" -- sounds like a bunch of people just trying to find the timing on when updates come. It sounds like some are just in that first batch and they're thinking it is carrier specific... Just like years ago everyone used to call out what state they were in because they thought location mattered.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no waiting on a carrier to "let it through" -- Google pushes them out in batches. The carrier isn't blocking anything :).

That's what I always thought too, until Google said otherwise. That's why there have been instances when Project Fi users have waited longer than users on other carriers. Very recently, there have been issues with 02 and 03 users in the UK.

Carriers do not distribute the updates but they have to permit them to come through.

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
That's what I always thought too, until Google said otherwise. That's why there have been instances when Project Fi users have waited longer than users on other carriers. Very recently, there have been issues with 02 and 03 users in the UK.

Carriers do not distribute the updates but they have to permit them to come through.
Ok so I was somewhat correct. When did they mention it? 0:
I definitely would have to read their "findings" -- sounds like a bunch of people just trying to find the timing on when updates come. It sounds like some are just in that first batch and they're thinking it is carrier specific... Just like years ago everyone used to call out what state they were in because they thought location mattered.
I remember that back in the day LOL

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well carriers do play a hand in updates -- even on iOS. They have to ensure the software works with their network. They aren't just going to have phone manufacturers push whatever without ensuring the network experience doesn't get hit.

If there was an issue on a specific carrier that had to be addressed (either in the update or server-side) I could then very well see it being delayed for QoS (Quality of Service) reasons... but a carrier isn't just going to block it to be like "Ha you must wait longer!" is mainly my point :p.

Under normal circumstances once the OTA is released we should all get it within ~1 week or so.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well carriers do play a hand in updates -- even on iOS. They have to ensure the software works with their network. They aren't just going to have phone manufacturers push whatever without ensuring the network experience doesn't get hit.

If there was an issue on a specific carrier that had to be addressed (either in the update or server-side) I could then very well see it being delayed for QoS (Quality of Service) reasons... but a carrier isn't just going to block it to be like "Ha you must wait longer!" is mainly my point :p.

Under normal circumstances once the OTA is released we should all get it within ~1 week or so.

I agree... carriers can't get away with playing the "gotcha" game.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to Google Support yesterday (I have their Preferred Care) as well as AT&T support. According to the person on Preferred care (Andrew, I think?) the patches do come from the carrier, not from Google directly. This was the #1 reason I purchased a Pixel as I thought the patches came from Google (over Wi-Fi or whatever). AT&T confirmed that they push the patches when they feel like it, and that this patch will probably be pushed around Dec 10.

Not trying to be argumentative, that's what Google Support told me. I thought Pixels were like iPhones and the patches came directly from the company, that was literally the only reason I got one.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be at all surprised if either company lied to me, but that's what they told me. I'm on the AT&T Go plan, so maybe there's a difference between that and a "full" AT&T plan?

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I got impatient and just sideloaded mine, which was really quite easy to do. At least we have that options with Pixels. I've got an unlocked Galaxy S7 that hasn't been updated since June.

Never again Samsung *shakes fist*

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone on AT&T gotten the 8.1 update through AT&T yet? I'm on the phone (and livid) with Google right now because apparently the update comes through the carrier, NOT Google, and that's the whole reason I got the phone in the first place.

Yes , yesterday...I was on the Beta(8.1 beta to final 8.1 plus Dec 5th security)...and for the discussion by others on whether Google or At&t approves the update. If you are in the Beta it is pushed by Google and At&t has no say. That is why I like being in the program even if it is buggy (I have not experienced any) and receives the security updates a few weeks late.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz