[PSA] ROOTING Help, Info & Asking for help (updated 1/24/11)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Really? The instructions are pretty clear to flash the ROM first.

But, I'm on the latest OTA, so would I be safe?

I think it might be safer to just use recovery. So I flash the ROM in the same way you said I would flash the radio updates, correct?

The ROM itself won't flash any new data to the radio so it should be OK doing it first but those directions are probably there for a reason and I've only ever flashed it using ROM manager and the way I described earlier.

Go for the recovery route though, it's geek cooler :).

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I'm going to go the recovery route.

I need to know how to wipe the dalvik, cache, and data in recovery.

I'm just going to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing with the others.

To do a nandroid, I select "backup and restore" and then "backup".
To install the ROM and the radio updates, I select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then the zip.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I'm going to go the recovery route.

I need to know how to wipe the dalvik, cache, and data in recovery.

I'm just going to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing with the others.

To do a nandroid, I select "backup and restore" and then "backup".
To install the ROM and the radio updates, I select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then the zip.

Yup, you got it. To wipe dalvik go to advanced, wipe dalvik. To wipe cache, just hit erase or format cache on the main screen and to erase data go to partitions and format /data.

Reactions: deferom

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have to wipe my data, correct? I'd rather keep it if I can.

That's tricky, some ROMs you can flash to without any problems and some you need to wipe everything. I would suggest you run Titanium backup first if there's app data you need to keep, then wipe it and re-install with titanium when you're back up.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried Titanium and it didn't work. Something about my ROM not including something. I'd check, but I uninstalled it and am doing a nandroid right now.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried Titanium and it didn't work. Something about my ROM not including something. I'd check, but I uninstalled it and am doing a nandroid right now.

ok you can go back in to it after your nandroid, it probably needed busybox ? Just click on menu and problems and it'll install it for you.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Busybox, that was it. I backed up all the data I want to keep / isn't attached to my Google Account.

I've been hearing about NAND unlocked and stuff. Is there a way to verify my NAND is unlocked?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Busybox, that was it. I backed up all the data I want to keep / isn't attached to my Google Account.

I've been hearing about NAND unlocked and stuff. Is there a way to verify my NAND is unlocked?

Nand unlock means that you have S-OFF, or security verification off so you can flash non-HTC files to the system. If you have a custom recovery installed odds are you have nand unlocked.

to verify, power off your phone, press the volume down button and power button at the same time, when the white screen loads release your fingers, at the top of the screen it will say S-OFF - this means your nand is unlocked.

Just select reboot from the menu to reboot normally.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have reboot on the white screen's menu.

I've got FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK, and HBOOT USB. No reboot. I can reboot by going into recovery and rebooting that way.

That's not going to be an issue, is it? If it's not, I'll go ahead.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have reboot on the white screen's menu.

I've got FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK, and HBOOT USB. No reboot. I can reboot by going into recovery and rebooting that way.

That's not going to be an issue, is it? If it's not, I'll go ahead.

It's not an issue, I think if you select fastboot you'll see reboot pop up.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
When I wipe the Dalvik Cache, it says-

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(File exists)
Dalvik Cache wiped.

Is this normal? The not being able to mount thing is kinda worrying, but if it's okay, I'll go ahead.

Nevermind. I just went ahead with it.

Last edited:

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Sweet.

Thank you so much. I think I could do this by myself next time I feel the need.

Ah well, I guess everybody is a noob at some point, right?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Sweet.

Thank you so much. I think I could do this by myself next time I feel the need.

Ah well, I guess everybody is a noob at some point, right?

Absolutely, that's what I love about android, if you want to dig in, well you can start and just keep on going for as much as you want.

And you're flashing roms now, you're old hat! :)

Ianmb

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Have a quick ? Saw a tutorial on YouTube how a guy rooted his Evo without using a PC. He had dl all necessary files to SD used Android Terminal Emulator to issue Cmmd Prompts, the vid was full and impressive if its possible but no clue as to his SW or HW version. Any opinions on this the vid is named Root HTC EVO without PC or ADB

Ianmb

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just curious cuz I've had my EVO for over a month want to root BADD!!! Home PC dead and was looking for a non PC method if one exists wished z4root worked for EVO. Thanks for your time reading this and if you have time to reply that would be great.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Have a quick ? Saw a tutorial on YouTube how a guy rooted his Evo without using a PC. He had dl all necessary files to SD used Android Terminal Emulator to issue Cmmd Prompts, the vid was full and impressive if its possible but no clue as to his SW or HW version. Any opinions on this the vid is named Root HTC EVO without PC or ADB

This is not possible anymore because the hboot is locked down as of version 2.02+ - it's a real bummer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74