Qi Charging pad for Turbo in the car

ralpheburns

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have a suggestion for a pad I can use when charging the Turbo in the car? To do this most easily, I want a pad that is the same size or only slightly larger than the Turbo (5.7 x 2.9" or 144 x 74mm) so I can make a cubby for them both. This means that the phone will sit exactly over the pad and cubby walls around both will keep the phone from sliding around on the pad.

Seems to me that besides picking a pad that's basically the same size as the phone, I gotta get one that has the coil in the same place, and don't really need a 3-coil pad.

Here's where motorola says the phone's charging coil is located:
Droid_Turbo_Charging.jpg

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't be easier to just a car charger? I mean I get what your wanting to do but with the awesome battery life these things offer......

Good luck though.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

ralpheburns

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I like the idea of a Qi charging pad for the car because I sometimes pick up the phone while in the car and don't like either having a cord attached or the repetitive process of unplugging and re-plugging a cord into the phone.

The I-go cigarette to USB microjuice looks useful for powering a Qi pad.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I like the idea of a Qi charging pad for the car because I sometimes pick up the phone while in the car and don't like either having a cord attached or the repetitive process of unplugging and re-plugging a cord into the phone.

The I-go cigarette to USB microjuice looks useful for powering a Qi pad.
There ya go, that's a darn good reason. Believe it or not, answering the phone never even occurred to me since I've become by spoiled by having factory bluetooth in my last few cars. Doh!

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the iottie as well for my Sony Z3v seems to be well made and works like a charm!
Iottie is the best. I love mine. Nicely adjustable, and so much nicer in appearance compared to the offerings that used to be the only options from just a few years ago it seems.

gabead

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Iottie is the best. I love mine. Nicely adjustable, and so much nicer in appearance compared to the offerings that used to be the only options from just a few years ago it seems.
Also if you turn the iottie arm upside down it runs nice and flush with my dashboard if you have one that slants down like mine. I'll have to get a pic today. It's nice and solid the way I have it. No moving or vibration whatsoever

ralpheburns

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I do use bluetooth for calls, music and directions, but find myself typing on the phone from time to time to get things set up. I have a space in the armrests between the seats that is designed for wallets, etc., and I will try a flat pad there. I'll do a little crafting to make a frame that goes around the border of the pad to keep the phone centered. Three pads that might work are below, but the coil is centered on the pad and not quite centered on the phone:
Koolpad Qi Wireless Charger Pad
Aukey Wireless Charger Charging Pad
Qifull Qt10 Qi Wireless Charger Pad

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My only concern here would be that Qi seems to deliver charge slower, and I'd be worried about maintaining a charge if I'm using gps and streaming music. I think you need something that delivers more power if using it while driving.

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like tylt is coming out with a new wireless charging car dock.

TYLT • VU • Wireless Charger

I'm holding out for this one. They recently said it should be available for purchase within a month.

My only (minor) concern with this dock is the wiring--I've already hardwired a micro USB that i used for my old RAZR MAXX HD cradle, so hopefully I can reuse that instead of having to rewire.

ralpheburns

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My only concern here would be that Qi seems to deliver charge slower, and I'd be worried about maintaining a charge if I'm using gps and streaming music. I think you need something that delivers more power if using it while driving.

I agree that could be a downfall. I'll try the folding desk Tmvel charger for this weekend's road trip to test. Don't other folks find that Qi car docks charge quickly enough even when using GPS & bluetooth?

Last edited:

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree that could be a downfall. I'll try the folding desk Tmvel charger for this weekend's road trip to test. Don't other folks find that car docks charge quickly enough even when using GPS & bluetooth?

Can't speak to the Droid Turbo in the car while using GPS and BT since I only had the Turbo for a couple days and never bought a dock. My current phone (BB Q10) charges just fine while using Waze and Pandora/Slacker using a ProClip custom mount with built in charging port running 1.8A. Before that my Galaxy S3 charged well using a ProClip mount with built-in charger, also at 1.8A. I'd be very curious to see how many amps a charger needs to deliver to be able to at least maintain a charge level on the newest devices like Turbo, Nexus 6 and LG G3 with their giant screens. I was in a pinch on a recent trip in a rental car and bought a cheap charger at Walmart and my phone dropped by 10% charge over a 60 mile trip. That charger was 1.2A.

comprocon

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I have a droid turbo and I bought two different Qi Chargers. I had a problem with one of them not being able to charge too reliably when it was in the case.

The more reliable of the two was the iOttie.

However especially when using navigation, and on a sunny day, it would start to overheat and first shutdown charging and then soon disable functions on the phone. I'm not sure if this was because it was placed in the windshield or that I have a black car with a black dashboard or that I live in a sunny area, but either way I have recently had to give up on the Qi charging in the car even though it is one of my favorite features of the phone.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a droid turbo and I bought two different Qi Chargers. I had a problem with one of them not being able to charge too reliably when it was in the case.

The more reliable of the two was the iOttie.

However especially when using navigation, and on a sunny day, it would start to overheat and first shutdown charging and then soon disable functions on the phone. I'm not sure if this was because it was placed in the windshield or that I have a black car with a black dashboard or that I live in a sunny area, but either way I have recently had to give up on the Qi charging in the car even though it is one of my favorite features of the phone.

The combination of the heat generated by QI charging, sitting in sunlight, and running applications is definitely going to significantly increase the chance of your phone to overheat. The only time my Galaxy S3 ever overheated for me was while I was streaming video content while sitting on the dash board of my car while driving to Florida on a sunny day.

A Vent mount might solve your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte