Question about apps running in the background on Evo

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
When I go into the settings and go to Running applications, the phone gives me a list but if I go into the Manage apps feature and look at the list of those running, it's a much longer list.

Which is correct?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a "Running Applications" option on my main settings menu. When I go to Settings>Applications I see "Unknown sources," "Manage applications," "Running services" and "Development." In "Manage applications" there are 4 tabs, "Downloaded," "Running," "All" and "On SD card." When I go to the "Running" tab I get a list of all the running apps on the phone. I'm not sure what other list of running apps you are comparing this list to. Can you clarify?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, the other list is the ..Running Services of the Applications

check that list up against the 'Running' in Manage Applications.

There you have it. Services are different than apps.

For example, the GTalk service runs in the background to receive messages. You then have to open the app itself to read/reply to the message.

Services can run taking up far less memory while performing some essential functions of the full app.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea as it was said, running services and applications are two different things.

Generally even though an application is running, it doesn't mean its doing anything. It could be just idle sitting in memory. Its not really using any data, cpu or battery. Its just chilling for fast start up or for something to say its needed.

Services are little "programs" or parts of programs that are waiting for "messages" called intents from the phone or performing some task for another program. For instance there is a service that is waiting for you to touch your screen so android knows to respond to that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire