Question about T-Mobile data speeds with the GN

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thx. In my apt. I have Edge speeds. How much worse or better will the Nexus be I'm wondering.
Since I don't want to break my contract yet, still deciding.

As far as EDGE goes? It'll be the same speed no matter the device... EDGE is pretty slow (~100kbps). Assuming you'd just be on WiFi at home though, no?

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
As far as EDGE goes? It'll be the same speed no matter the device... EDGE is pretty slow (~100kbps). Assuming you'd just be on WiFi at home though, no?

Yea. pretty much. I think I am going to go for it. I would prefer a pure Google experience over an SGSII.

Thx.

Edited to add: I am going for it...wish me luck, I want the "pure" Google experience, wish me luck. :D

Last edited:

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you need any luck. If you want the pure experience, you won't be disappointed. I have only had mine since Tuesday and I love it, hard to put down.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you need any luck. If you want the pure experience, you won't be disappointed. I have only had mine since Tuesday and I love it, hard to put down.

I am sure you're right. I am selling my T-Mo branded SGSII, getting a price I paid for it. I think I made the right decision.

Thx for your input.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Question about using this phone on T-Mobile

Wow....someone getting 6 megs down on tmo???? I would kill for that. I have not gotten over 2 megs down since i got it two days ago. Popped the sim back into my g2x at home...4 megs. popped it back into gnex home----1.5. What gives.......man I will be pissed if this will not run over two megs in a good coverage tmo are.. Man o man.

I get 4-6Mbps down on T-mobile with 2-3 bars, and i've seen upwards of 10-14Mbps down with full bars. Granted I have a HTC Amaze and not a GNex, but still shouldnt make a difference.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

I get 4-6Mbps down on T-mobile with 2-3 bars, and i've seen upwards of 10-14Mbps down with full bars. Granted I have a HTC Amaze and not a GNex, but still shouldnt make a difference.

Except it does make a difference. The Amaze is a 42mbps HSPA+ device, whereas the Galaxy Nexus is only a 21mbps HSPA+ device.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Except it does make a difference. The Amaze is a 42mbps HSPA+ device, whereas the Galaxy Nexus is only a 21mbps HSPA+ device.

I would say, not really. It doesn't make difference if the network is your limiting factor. With my GNex I was getting 10mb/s down in Garland,TX (near Dallas) this past weekend. *Only* get 6 here in Houston.

Did I see difference? Not really...well OK, web pages did seem to finish loading a second or two faster. Ooooo. :p

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

I would say, not really. It doesn't make difference if the network is your limiting factor. With my GNex I was getting 10mb/s down in Garland,TX (near Dallas) this past weekend. *Only* get 6 here in Houston.

Did I see difference? Not really...well OK, web pages did seem to finish loading a second or two faster. Ooooo. :p

It does make a difference. Especially if you're in a HSPA+ 42Mbps market. The highest I've reached on my Galaxy Nexus is 11Mbps but I average 7-9 Mbps. A HSPA+ 42Mbps device in NYC could get over 20Mbps and could get 15Mbps fairly easy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech