Random disabled fingerprint unlock

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Has anybody gotten this message (Galaxy S10+ with most recent update), which randomly and briefly disables the ability to unlock my phone with my fingerprint? There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it - it happens two or three times a day, and happens at completely different times every day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-184908_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-184908_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 19

Jell Lee

May 27, 2021
Visit site
after reboot the phone will not accept fingerprint unlock, it needs pin or pattern or password to unlock the phone for the first time then afterwards biometrics can be used.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Does this happen after a reboot or just whenever? If it happens after reboot, that's what's supposed to happen.

Last edited:

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Does this happen after a reboot or just whenever? If it happens after reboot, that's what's supposed to happen.

No, it happens whenever. After a reboot it say actually says "enter PIN after restart" (and it won't let me take a screenshot like the one above). This has nothing to do with a reboot.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Does it only happen after the phone has been in your pocket? Or when the phone has been sitting on a table or whatever?

If it's only after the phone has been in your pocket, it could be registering your leg as a fingerprint and thinking you've had several incorrect entry attempts... This would prompt the pin entry.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The security policy is to randomly disable fingerprint unlock for no apparent reason a few times a day? Man, what an incredibly stupid policy.
Well depending, if you leave your phone untouched for few hours it will or any phone restart, any failed biometric input

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Does it only happen after the phone has been in your pocket? Or when the phone has been sitting on a table or whatever?

If it's only after the phone has been in your pocket, it could be registering your leg as a fingerprint and thinking you've had several incorrect entry attempts... This would prompt the pin entry.

It never happens when it's been in my pocket - it's almost never in my pocket to begin with. It might have been on the wireless charger, on the coffee table, on my desk at work. It always gives me a specific message, if it's a reboot or too many failed attempts, etc. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason here, and I have not been able to find any "security policy" settings that might be causing it that I can adjust. I guess I'll just chalk it up to one of those quirks of Android that we all have to live with.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the glass over the scanner is completely clean. Also, if you have a screen protector, consider testing the phone without the protector, in case it's causing some false touches.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
It's supposed to do that after 24 hours. If it's happening more often than that, you're not alone.

My corporate phone does this. I assume it's because they have admin privileges on security settings.

Also, this article says that this can be caused by Google smart lock if you're using that.

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5...-requiring-password-periodically/td-p/6481987

The only other thing I know of that works cause that is lockdown mode. But that is something you'd have to add to the power menu, then long press, and select lock down. I doubt you're accidentally doing that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463