random shut down

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
who else is having their phone randomly shut down. for me it started about a month ago out of the blue. It seems as if it might be a common issue, but i cant seem to pin down which app is causing it. to be clear, i havent tried uninstalling anything yet as it happened without installing a new app. anyone have any insight to this?

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Early on in the history of my pixel 4 XL, I had the random shutdown phenomenon occur. It appeared to be related to an adguard VPN and once Google fixed the VPN issue, that problem disappeared.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I havent tried putting it in safe mode yet. i will get to that at some point, just havent yet. i think the whole thing started with the jan security update.
Ok , could be a app but will know for sure in safe mode or at least a better understanding

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
if i could consistently reproduce it, i would put it in safe mode to troubleshoot. sadly it seems to be completely random with no common thing preceding the shutdown. it will be fine for days and then shut down multiple times in a day.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
if i could consistently reproduce it, i would put it in safe mode to troubleshoot. sadly it seems to be completely random with no common thing preceding the shutdown. it will be fine for days and then shut down multiple times in a day.

That is really odd. As a very last resort, with all of your data and photos backed up, you could factory reset your device and then see if the random shutdowns continue.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone with a Pixel 4 or 4 XL that's randomly shutting down should contact Google Support! That is not common and it's certainly not normal, and it just may keep right on happening until your warranty expires and then one day you find yourself holding a brick in your hand.

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. took 12 hours for it to shut down. contacted Google and was told to either take it to a local ibreakufixit store or send it in to them. I chose to take it to a store. an hour later I got a call saying that Google is going to send me a new phone. one call to Google later and the replacement phone is ordered

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. took 12 hours for it to shut down. contacted Google and was told to either take it to a local ibreakufixit store or send it in to them. I chose to take it to a store. an hour later I got a call saying that Google is going to send me a new phone. one call to Google later and the replacement phone is ordered

Can you break that down a bit? I am just curious what state the phone was in when you contacted Google and how difficult it was to get to the point of them being willing to have it diagnosed at a fixit store. This sounded like one of those problems that was going to be a big PIA to get recognized (random, days apart). Was it that crazy long shutdown period?

Did the shop tell you any details about what was wrong that sparked the replacement?

This is a happy ending!

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
the phone is in great shape aside from the random shutdowns. I just told them that my phone was shutting down on its own and that I was not able to find a common denominator in what was causing it to shut down. they told me to factory reset it as it seemed like a software issue, so I did that. not even 24 hours later, I got a random shut down. when I told them that, they told me I needed to take it to the store for diagnosis. the store said they thought it was either the motherboard or the battery and that it works be fixed in a few hours. got a call about an hour later saying Google want letting them do the repair, that Google was going to just replace the phone because it was cheaper.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
the phone is in great shape aside from the random shutdowns. I just told them that my phone was shutting down on its own and that I was not able to find a common denominator in what was causing it to shut down. they told me to factory reset it as it seemed like a software issue, so I did that. not even 24 hours later, I got a random shut down. when I told them that, they told me I needed to take it to the store for diagnosis. the store said they thought it was either the motherboard or the battery and that it works be fixed in a few hours. got a call about an hour later saying Google want letting them do the repair, that Google was going to just replace the phone because it was cheaper.
That's great they replacing it

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

That's great to read. It sounds normal and like a reasonable response to the issue.

I wonder if they were particularly sensitive to the random shutdown. Wasn't that part of the 6P debacle? Maybe I am remembering wrong.

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
i am glad they are replacing it, but it seems like just replacing the motherboard and/or re seating the battery would have fixed the problem. bottom line is that ill have a fully working phone (i hope). the 6p issue was that it sat in a constant boot loop if i recall.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
i am glad they are replacing it, but it seems like just replacing the motherboard and/or re seating the battery would have fixed the problem. bottom line is that ill have a fully working phone (i hope). the 6p issue was that it sat in a constant boot loop if i recall.

Glad to hear you're getting a replacement. Goodjob.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry