Razr Maxx suddenly very slow

scotts9219

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My Maxx also starting running very slow over time. I tried clearing caches without any improvement.
Noticed the stock email app was running even slower then most other apps.
Did a check and found I had about 1000 old emails in my trash folder many with attachments.
It took a while to get rid of them but when the phone finished I was back to full speed.
Hope this helps.
Dennis

Ack! I just found I have over 1600! Never even thought about it. Bye bye trash. Thanks for the heads up!

russelb

Sep 30, 2010
www.russlawaz.com
My Razr Maxx has also been running slow. It especially runs slow when I am using the SwiftKey keyboard. It sometimes take a long time (a few seconds) to register my taps on the keyboard. Those of you who are running slow, are you using SwiftKey?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
My Razr Maxx has also been running slow. It especially runs slow when I am using the SwiftKey keyboard. It sometimes take a long time (a few seconds) to register my taps on the keyboard. Those of you who are running slow, are you using SwiftKey?

Yes, I'm running Swiftkey and my phone has steadily gotten slower just about to the point of unuseable.
I just did a cache wipe to see if it helps.
I wondered if that was a problem, Swiftkey. I guess we could remove it and see if the phone does better. I love swiftkey though.
hmmmm

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Removing swift key didn't help at all. I disabled it not removed.

I'm trying the maps cache clear thing next as I did cache a portion for a trip a month ago.

Posted via Android Central App

nozkcb

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm convinced that either Verizon and/or Google roll out "updates" that intentionally slow down phone that are about a year old or so. I know it sounds paranoid but my Razr Maxx is my 5th Verizon Android-based phone that I've owned over the last several years, and the exact same thing has happened with each phone. Even after doing a factory reset and only reinstalling a few of the very basic apps, my phone quickly becomes slow to the point that it's almost not useable. And it's not just web-based downloads, it's simple UI things that are reacting at a fraction of their original (pre-update) speeds.

I believe that this is done intentionally to motivate customers to upgrade. If my Maxx ran the way it should, and did for about a year, I would have no reason to consider an upgrade however, because the phone has become so difficult to use I've found myself at the Verizon store looking at new phones. . . . and AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, my contract is up next month and I'm eligible for a *NEW* phone. I just need to re-up for 2 MORE YEARS and I can have a phone that worked at the speed that my current phone did just a few short months ago. . . . . Coincidence? I think not :mad:

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problems, and unfortunately, these problems started with the latest upgrade back in March. Not only has my phone slowed down, but I also drop calls regularly, where I did not before.

With that being said, if you think about it though, with the advance of technology, the increase in size of apps to account for the newer phones, these phones are going to slow down about a year after getting them. It is kind of like a computer. The longer you use it, the slower it gets, because of all of the stuff we put on them.

Unfortunately, the carriers do not allow you to upgrade at a subsidized price every year, but instead every 2 years. I thankfully have a few extra lines on my account that are on dumb phones, so I have been upgrading every 18 months instead. I had a the Droid X and liked it, until it got slow. Then went with the MAXX, but it now has gotten slow (in addition to the dropped calls). I finally am sick of waiting for Verizon to put a bug fix out for JB, so I am sending this one down the road and getting the S4. Although I would have preferred to upgrade to the next Moto phone, I figure I will just go ahead and get the S4 and hold that for a while, and by them, Moto will have made up their mind on what they are doing, and I can upgrade back to Moto then.

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with my Maxx. Especially battery life. Tried Smart Actions, and I hate it, unless I don't really understand it. Just disabled Smart Actions. Was that right thing to do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I disabled Smart Actions a long time ago. I don't get much lag on my Maxx. When I do, a reboot clears things up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

RAZRsharp

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
My RAZR MAXX has been slow for a couple of weeks and also was getting warm. The last few days this got worse - and the last three days became INTOLERABLE. The battery
was losing its charge quickly as well. I deleted over a thousand messages, which had to be beneficial, but didn't help. Then today I tried a suggestion I read in one of these forums to delete my text messages. VOILA! It worked, and my phone is back to its original speed, including the internet and apps. I know there are other issues that can be the cause
of a slow phone, so I suggest you read these forums and try different suggestions before wiping out everything. I was almost ready to reset to factory specs, but was saved by someone who cared enough to help. I hope this saves someone else from the torment of a nearly unresponsive "smart" phone. Bill

eddiea

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that either Verizon and/or Google roll out "updates" that intentionally slow down phone that are about a year old or so. I know it sounds paranoid but my Razr Maxx is my 5th Verizon Android-based phone that I've owned over the last several years, and the exact same thing has happened with each phone. Even after doing a factory reset and only reinstalling a few of the very basic apps, my phone quickly becomes slow to the point that it's almost not useable. And it's not just web-based downloads, it's simple UI things that are reacting at a fraction of their original (pre-update) speeds.

I believe that this is done intentionally to motivate customers to upgrade. If my Maxx ran the way it should, and did for about a year, I would have no reason to consider an upgrade however, because the phone has become so difficult to use I've found myself at the Verizon store looking at new phones. . . . and AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, my contract is up next month and I'm eligible for a *NEW* phone. I just need to re-up for 2 MORE YEARS and I can have a phone that worked at the speed that my current phone did just a few short months ago. . . . . Coincidence? I think not :mad:

Sounds like paranoia to me, but even more so it sounds like an app you've installed. My Razr Maxx is as fast as it has been since the day I got it, and I currently have 70+ apps installed. Process of elimination in finding the suspect app(s) would probably solve your problem. Good luck.

FrannyW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
as others, my droid is very slow too. Now today reading these posts, which I'm sure I read this before too, I decided to delete my trash emails, and yes, I have plenty also. But the problem, its stuck on deleting.... "please wait". The first email took about 3 minutes. This email now its been over 5. I turned off the phone, turned on, cleared cache, still taking forever. WHat else can I do. Its on wifi. Is is faster if I take it off?

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
For what its worth I disabled the damn Facebook app and wow, what a difference in memory and speed for my phone. I use the mobile Facebook website which is just as quick and looks about the same as the app. So no loss there.

I also decided to stop using HD widgets, yahoo mail app, and the outlook app. All of these were also hogging up quite a bit of memory. I have restarted using the default mail app for my yahoo accts and hotmail accts. With the last OS update the mail app must have been updated too because its now really fast and works great.

My razr maxx is now back to the speed as when i first got it. Save for the usual android lag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...

tbro4033

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
My RAZR MAXX has been slow for a couple of weeks and also was getting warm. The last few days this got worse - and the last three days became INTOLERABLE. The battery
was losing its charge quickly as well. I deleted over a thousand messages, which had to be beneficial, but didn't help. Then today I tried a suggestion I read in one of these forums to delete my text messages. VOILA! It worked, and my phone is back to its original speed, including the internet and apps. I know there are other issues that can be the cause
of a slow phone, so I suggest you read these forums and try different suggestions before wiping out everything. I was almost ready to reset to factory specs, but was saved by someone who cared enough to help. I hope this saves someone else from the torment of a nearly unresponsive "smart" phone. Bill

Sounds too simple, but it seems to have significantly improved my maxx 's performance, too. Deleted the majority of text conversations and reduced the # of texts to keep per conversation and it improved my phone instantly. Much quicker, more responsive. Thanks for the tip.

russelb

Sep 30, 2010
www.russlawaz.com
I solved my slow Razr Maxx problems by finally biting the bullet and installing CyanogenMod 10.1. Spent yesterday evening doing it. I did a factory reset a few weeks ago, but that did not solve my problems. I have another year before I am eligible for an upgrade, so I took a chance with flashing a ROM. I am very happy I did. My phone is running much better without any of the lag I was experiencing before.

Any of you who are considering this route, here is the download page: Information: Motorola Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) ("spyder") - CyanogenMod

I followed the instructions on the CyanogenMod web site here: How To Install CyanogenMod Android for Motorola Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) ("spyder") - CyanogenMod

If your device is not already rooted, you will need to factory reset it before you attempt to root. The root method involves an exploit of Smart Actions that was apparently patched. Factory reset puts it back to it's unpatched version and allows root.

There are a lot of other ROMs out there, but I was looking for something close to vanilla Android. I have a Nexus 7 and like it very much.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I installed motomizer free edition on my rooted Maxx. I increased the CPU to 600 minimum and it has run perfectly. I also set it to performance.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate this phone. All it dies us crash also and freeze. 10+ restarts a day. It's as bad as my old BlackBerry. I'm thinking Android was a big mistake. I'll probably go iPhone next.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I hate this phone. All it dies us crash also and freeze. 10+ restarts a day. It's as bad as my old BlackBerry. I'm thinking Android was a big mistake. I'll probably go iPhone next.

That's unfortunate, but I think your experience is the exception, not the rule. I won't go into a discussion about what you've tried so far to fix it, or any efforts to get a replacement from the wireless provider, since it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Hope the iPhone works better for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk