RCS recipient may be offline

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, which device and text message app ? Are you roaming when this happens? Do you have Read receipts off ?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest here about RCS. It's a Mucking Fess in the current implementation. 1/2 the time I have to switch to SMS/MMS with some contacts, other contacts are fine.

I know that EVERYONE that I text on T-Mobile (or any other service on T-Mo network), I can use RCS. When I text someone on AT&T, it's VERY hit and miss. Verizon is less problematic. All in all, they need to just get things working reliably because it's a pain in the butt that a BASIC SERVICE like SMS that has been around for DECADES, now cannot be counted as reliable because they are trying, and failing, "to make it better".

[/rant]

Reactions: tube517

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest here about RCS. It's a Mucking Fess in the current implementation. 1/2 the time I have to switch to SMS/MMS with some contacts, other contacts are fine.

I know that EVERYONE that I text on T-Mobile (or any other service on T-Mo network), I can use RCS. When I text someone on AT&T, it's VERY hit and miss. Verizon is less problematic. All in all, they need to just get things working reliably because it's a pain in the butt that a BASIC SERVICE like SMS that has been around for DECADES, now cannot be counted as reliable because they are trying, and failing, "to make it better".

[/rant]
Hmm, that's interesting. I don't recall having issues with RCS messages to others who have it turned on, and they're mostly on Verizon or AT&T (I'm on T-Mo). Of course, maybe I'm not aware of some missed messages if I'm just assuming they received them and didn't expect a reply ...

Reactions: tube517 and rvbfan

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, that's interesting. I don't recall having issues with RCS messages to others who have it turned on, and they're mostly on Verizon or AT&T (I'm on T-Mo). Of course, maybe I'm not aware of some missed messages if I'm just assuming they received them and didn't expect a reply ...
Likewise I use RCS to communicate with friends and relatives who live in the States and haven't come across this issue. Not to mention the same with RCS in Canada.

Reactions: B. Diddy

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

[/rant]
To be clear, RCS is not SMS (as you even mention that SMS is your fall back)

SMS has been around for decades and is very reliable as all manufacturers and carriers have worked out the kinks. I remember when it all got started, and it wasn't nearly as reliable as it is today.

Apple has no real issues with their messaging because they control all the hardware and dictate terms to the carriers.

RCS is just going to take some time as they get the kinks out. But, at least we have the fallback to SMS. Back in the day, the fallback was landline or smoke signals. So, at least there's that.

Micah Brown1

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

[/rant]
Yes! that's what I'm constantly having to do, switch to SMS for the text to go through. It's not all the time, but it happens waaaay to often to the point that I got fed up and just went back to using Samsung messages.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My son has an iphone and I get this notification when he's at school and he has to turn off his phone. My wife has Android so I never get this notification as her phone is always on

Micah Brown1

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
My son has an iphone and I get this notification when he's at school and he has to turn off his phone. My wife has Android so I never get this notification as her phone is always on
No sorry, this is definitely an android thing and our phones are always on. RCS status will even still say connected

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
No sorry, this is definitely an android thing and our phones are always on. RCS status will even still say connected
Likely your connection then. My connection at home is very strong. When I go to smaller towns (not often) or mountains (again not very often) then my connection sucks. (Tmobile)

Micah Brown1

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Likely your connection then. My connection at home is very strong. When I go to smaller towns (not often) or mountains (again not very often) then my connection sucks. (Tmobile)
I honestly don't think it's that because I'm right in the city. And my friend she works from home with a nice strong connection and it happens to her. I'm really thinking it's a carrier issue

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't think it's that because I'm right in the city. And my friend she works from home with a nice strong connection and it happens to her. I'm really thinking it's a carrier issue
Could be a carrier issue. Go to a store and let them do their troubleshooting. Or do it online. I have Tmobile and can commuicate w/them on Twitter and they are pretty helpful.

Also, what troubleshooting steps have YOU done yourself?

Did you reboot your phone? Did she reboot her phone?
Did you clear data and cache from your google messages app?
Did you force stop your google messages app?
Does she use Google messages also?
Did you disconnect from RCS and reconnect?
Did you do all the updates - system and app?
Who is her carrier? Is it the same as yours?

Micah Brown1

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Could be a carrier issue. Go to a store and let them do their troubleshooting. Or do it online. I have Tmobile and can commuicate w/them on Twitter and they are pretty helpful.

Also, what troubleshooting steps have YOU done yourself?

Did you reboot your phone? Did she reboot her phone?
Did you clear data and cache from your google messages app?
Did you force stop your google messages app?
Does she use Google messages also?
Did you disconnect from RCS and reconnect?
Did you do all the updates - system and app?
Who is her carrier? Is it the same as yours?
Yeah that's a good idea. I did clear the cache, restart phone, she uses Google messages and we both have the latest updates, she's with Verizon I'm T-Mobile. I switched to Samsung messages yesterday and went back to Google messages today so I didn't manually turn RCS off. As far as trouble shooting.... basically asking around online and I did the feedback option inside the app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny