Really want to keep my Pixel 2 XL but I can't get over how terrible the messaging is (iMessage)

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Re: Really want to keep my Pixel 2 XL but...

Messenger can be used without a FB account. I used to use it that way. It only needs your phone number.

Probably the other best option besides Google Photos when it comes to sharing videos. Otherwise you can't top iMessage for the uncompressed vids/pics.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Really want to keep my Pixel 2 XL but...

SMS/MMS is slowly switching to RCS, but the carriers have to change also. Give it some time. Eventually we'll be able to send pictures and video user-to user, data or wifi, the same as iMessage. (At one time we couldn't send MMS from one carrier to another.)

Until then use an iPad or use email. (You can "send" videos of many GB if you upload the video to a cloud account and text the download link to the recipient. MEGA gives you 50GB free.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But then all your contacts need allo, Google really needs to get it together with all of these texting apps. They do a lot of things great, but this texting thing is an issue.

Until RCS is more widespread, alternative messaging apps is the way to go.

This is not Google's fault.

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
The problem with the 3rd party is apps is media sharing. It's still compressed with pics and vids. The 3rd party apps could remove those limits, but, as of now, they're still there.

That's my biggest hurdle when I switch to Android. Luckily I have an iPhone X and a Pixel 2 XL. Even with the option of an iPhone to use, I still can't ditch my Pixel. LOL

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the 3rd party is apps is media sharing. It's still compressed with pics and vids. The 3rd party apps could remove those limits, but, as of now, they're still there.

That's my biggest hurdle when I switch to Android. Luckily I have an iPhone X and a Pixel 2 XL. Even with the option of an iPhone to use, I still can't ditch my Pixel. LOL

Are you implying that iMessage does zero compression?

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
You have the option to send without compression (for pics). I believe vids are compressed to a small degree, but I may mistaken about that.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The problem is that in order to send media or messages between devices and not deal with unreasonable compression of the media, both parties need to be on the same messenger or protocol. I send pictures between my Android and my brother's iPhone no problem, but we're both using Google's Hangouts protocol (not sure what app he's using on his phone). Apple solves this between Apple devices by using the Messages protocol. It can be argued that the resistance of Apple users to use anything else (WhatsApp, Hangouts, Allo, etc) to communicate to people outside of that walled garden is causing slow adoption of alternate protocol for this. Apple users saying "use this or you don't get high quality pictures" is just as argumentative non-iPhone people trying to force iPhone users to use an alternate protocol.

We get it, using Messages you don't have to make a choice between SMS or a data protocol. Guess what - there's a world outside Apple and everybody needs to play together if we want to have open lines of communication and sharing of media. We're sorry that our choice of device doesn't fit into Apple's way of doing things. If you want to blame an entity, blame Apple for keeping their protocol so closed for so long.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that in order to send media or messages between devices and not deal with unreasonable compression of the media, both parties need to be on the same messenger or protocol. I send pictures between my Android and my brother's iPhone no problem, but we're both using Google's Hangouts protocol (not sure what app he's using on his phone). Apple solves this between Apple devices by using the Messages protocol. It can be argued that the resistance of Apple users to use anything else (WhatsApp, Hangouts, Allo, etc) to communicate to people outside of that walled garden is causing slow adoption of alternate protocol for this. Apple users saying "use this or you don't get high quality pictures" is just as argumentative non-iPhone people trying to force iPhone users to use an alternate protocol.

We get it, using Messages you don't have to make a choice between SMS or a data protocol. Guess what - there's a world outside Apple and everybody needs to play together if we want to have open lines of communication and sharing of media. We're sorry that our choice of device doesn't fit into Apple's way of doing things. If you want to blame an entity, blame Apple for keeping their protocol so closed for so long.
Ok, I'll blame Apple.

Frosty_Power

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Google Photos is awesome for sharing. Whom ever you share with can download full res pics to their device if they want. Once RCS comes available to everyone, iMessage will not be as important to a lot of people IMO.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Why can't people just use WhatsApp?

For one - isn't that now owned by Facebook? People are (understandably) skittish about using an app owned by that company, despite seeming to be segregated still.

Second - just as with iMessage, it isn't the ONLY protocol out there.

The REAL solution to this problem is in the works - RCS as indicated by others is replacing traditional SMS/MMS protocols with some carriers, and in the works with others. Once this UNIVERSAL (carrier and device) standard is widely adopted, many of these issues will be resolved and you'll be able to pick any app you want for messaging as long as it supports the UNIVERSAL RCS standard.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
you'll be able to pick any app you want for messaging as long as it supports the UNIVERSAL RCS standard.

I might be a bit cynical, but I'm guessing Apple will have some dubious technical excuse why they won't support RCS in iMessage... Watch...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I might be a bit cynical, but I'm guessing Apple will have some dubious technical excuse why they won't support RCS in iMessage... Watch...

But RCS will be a standard that they'll have to support like SMS/MMS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgibbs83