receive calls through american number on Canadian phone

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Right now I have to carry two work phones plus a personal phone with a Canadian number and a personal phone with an American number. Its a pain. I want to trim it down.

I wanted to install Google voice on my Canadian phone and that way while in the states people could call an american number and reach my Canadian cell phone but I was told Google cannot do this, is there another app that could do this? I really want to get rid of one phone and the cheapest option is keeping my Canadian phone.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
you could use call forwarding either to your canadian number or to a google voice account.

you could try porting your number to to google voice, but if its not a personal line, I wouldn't recomend attempting that.

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
can you forward Google voice to a Canadian number? I'm in the process of getting a VoIP number that can be forwarded to a Canadian number. I'm going to port my current american number to gv and forward it to my VoIP number which will be forwarded to my Canadian number. I really hope Google gets their act together and include canada in Google voice

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
you can have the google voice app on your device and connect it with your phone. Now is that guaranteed to simply work? no For me it does, but I think i got really lucky there.

So for me I have my phone with my atlanta GV number and my canadian number.

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Not really sure why you are here then....
I'm here because I own an android device, that doesn't however mean I believe Google is infallible. its a good product, lots of apps. downside is poor security, not happy with customer service either. but I will see over the next year or so if I like it in the long haul. now that I've answered your irrelevant question, do you have anything worthwhile to add?