Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA's

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
And some people find faults that others don't notice or care about. I don't buy the notion that Asus needs to be excoriated for the quality of the n7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
I'm one of those people. Out-the-box I want everything to work like they do in commercials. That may be an unrealistic expectation but an expectation all the same. The N7 may be an awesome device but the only ones who get to experience that awesomeness are the people who dont have a defective device or didnt care to look for faults.

I'm sure Asus would prefer that you just buy the tablet and not the QA issues associated to it.
Isn't this the same company who put out a tablet recently and the "fix" came on the form of a dongle that didnt fix a thing.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had my share of defective products plus I am critical, so disabuse yourself of the idea that I haven't noticed defects in my n7. It has none of the reported issues except for intermittent ghost images when playing words with friends which probably is a SW issue

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA

I'm one of those people. Out-the-box I want everything to work like they do in commercials. That may be an unrealistic expectation but an expectation all the same. The N7 may be an awesome device but the only ones who get to experience that awesomeness are the people who dont have a defective device or didnt care to look for faults.

Isn't this the same company who put out a tablet recently and the "fix" came on the form of a dongle that didnt fix a thing.

I've actually gotten to be an out of the box type of person too. For as many hundreds of dollars I spend on these devices, I shouldn't have to deal with so many design flaws.

Honestly, at this point, that is one thing in Apple's favor regarding the devices they put out. It isn't too often that you read about the same types of problems with their iPhones and iPads that you see being discussed with the various Android devices. They also push out updates a lot more regularly than seem to come for my Android devices. My iPad and my parents iPhones have received a few updates in the time they have been out. This is quite a few more than what Google has pushed, or been able to push to my Galaxy Nexus. it is definitely a lot more than what my gf's Maxx has received as well.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
We could talk about Apple also re antennagate if you want to dredge up other hardware issues

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Got two of them here with no hardware issues.

And thats very possible. Most items are produced in batches. For the most part, defects many times are noticed right away as that batch is being produced. More times than not the defect is caught well after the product has left production.

Depending on the QA process, several batches (which could be 10,000-100,000 units per batch) may make it out the door and into the hands of the customer where the defect is then caught.

The number of defects can be small; sometimes not. When there's a massive recall the defect was huge.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Dave, please elaborate. What is the ghost issue? I dont believe I've heard of that one. The only defects I'm aware of is the screen lift, light bleed and I think there's one more.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've actually gotten to be an out of the box type of person too. For as many hundreds of dollars I spend on these devices, I shouldn't have to deal with so many design flaws.

Honestly, at this point, that is one thing in Apple's favor regarding the devices they put out. It isn't too often that you read about the same types of problems with their iPhones and iPads that you see being discussed with the various Android devices. They also push out updates a lot more regularly than seem to come for my Android devices. My iPad and my parents iPhones have received a few updates in the time they have been out. This is quite a few more than what Google has pushed, or been able to push to my Galaxy Nexus. it is definitely a lot more than what my gf's Maxx has received as well.

When I got my iPhone and iPad I didnt inspect either one. In a word, they were stunning. Taking them out the box and powering on didnt make you feel that anything could possibly be wrong with them.

Updates were often and quick; unlike Android. Often times I miss my iPhone but that only happens when there's a game I bought that's not available on Android and I dont feel like playing it on a 10" iPad.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Some have reported bad ghosting but I doubt it's similar to what I get in the game. Haven't seen those problems myself so I will defer to those who say they have that issue

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Apple has had many (in)famous defects in various product lines. Being the owner of more than ten iPods I followed the Apple forums religiously for years

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
We could talk about Apple also re antennagate if you want to dredge up other hardware issues

I forgot about that one. Probably because I didn't have that particular iPhone during that time.

Apple has had many (in)famous defects in various product lines. Being the owner of more than ten iPods I followed the Apple forums religiously for years

Once I had everything jailbroken there wasn't much need for me to follow--that is until Apple put out an update so I had to keep up with a new jailbrake then hop on it as soon as it was available.

After a while I lost interest in jailbreaking. I was bored; wanted to try a different platform so Android it was.

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Man, I would have loved to see pics of the problems you had with each one....either you are picky beyond belief or just unlucky as hell. I got 2 Nexus 7's and both were absolutely perfect....1 was direct from google and the other from Sams Club. Next time, go to a store and inspect at the store and save yourself the hassle......then again, my local Sams had only 5 in stock, so you may have left empty handed..

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Frankly, I wish I had taken pictures of every bad Nexus 7 too. There's nothing I'd love more at this point than to buy a URL for $20 and start a blog to document my experience with the Play Store and the Nexus 7. It would certainly be money well spent. I can tell you though that I am picky and also unlucky as Hell. The problems I've found are legit..they might not be problems that other people look for...which is probably why many people do not detect them. I've spent the better part of my life in the cellular engineering realm...I'm discerning in the products I buy, but I do understand a certain tolerance for faults. I will say that when I purchase a product that is essentially a screen, you expect that screen to be spot on when it's produced by a major corporation such as Asus (who I exclusively buy only Asus motherboards, components and laptops) and co-produced by Google. The Nexus 7 is advertised as "The Google Tablet", not as "A Value Tablet" that's sold at Walgreen's. They wouldn't even mention launch partners in their keynote and implied that it is exclusive to the Google Play Store. With that, I have an expectation that if they want to play in the premium market, they should deliver a polished product and top notch support. In my experience, they have failed at both. I feel a duty to other consumers to at least let them know my experience. I certainly would have loved to have read a post like this prior to embarking on the endless exchange of Nexus 7's and undue frustration brought upon by being an early adopter and placing faith in the Google Play Store.

Man, I would have loved to see pics of the problems you had with each one....either you are picky beyond belief or just unlucky as hell. I got 2 Nexus 7's and both were absolutely perfect....1 was direct from google and the other from Sams Club. Next time, go to a store and inspect at the store and save yourself the hassle......then again, my local Sams had only 5 in stock, so you may have left empty handed..

Last edited:

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I went through four at launch, and then gave up. Today I gave the N7 another shot and finally got one that has hardly any screen lift. I'm more than satisfied with it.

But for all the people bashing on others saying the defects "weren't a big problem" or didn't exist, please stop. It's pretty apparent that a lot of the earlier batches (mostly C60's) had some pretty bad manufacturing flaws. It's not an indictment of Google or Asus companies...it's just that they happened to let quite a few tablets ship before they became fully aware of the problem.

Why do people have to vilify/demonize posters who just want a device that isn't broken? I can tell you with absolute certainty that no one on this forum would want to use any of the 4 I went through at launch. All four of them had pretty significant screen lift, creaked, and rippled from even light touch on the left side. That's not what you deserve when you pay for a new tablet, regardless of whatever price point the manufacturer decided to release it at.

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Damn straight brother! Well said.

I went through four at launch, and then gave up. Today I gave the N7 another shot and finally got one that has hardly any screen lift. I'm more than satisfied with it.

But for all the people bashing on others saying the defects "weren't a big problem" or didn't exist, please stop. It's pretty apparent that a lot of the earlier batches (mostly C60's) had some pretty bad manufacturing flaws. It's not an indictment of Google or Asus companies...it's just that they happened to let quite a few tablets ship before they became fully aware of the problem.

Why do people have to vilify/demonize posters who just want a device that isn't broken? I can tell you with absolute certainty that no one on this forum would want to use any of the 4 I went through at launch. All four of them had pretty significant screen lift, creaked, and rippled from even light touch on the left side. That's not what you deserve when you pay for a new tablet, regardless of whatever price point the manufacturer decided to release it at.

Reactions: ManBearPig618

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I by no means am bashing you, I apologize if my comments came off rude. I will admit that that I too am quite picky, just quite shocked that it took 7 to get a good model. I too am in a business where quality is everything and tolerances are measured to .0001mm (medical navigation), and so my job is to make sure those items stay true to their specs. I feel maybe I was referring to try different resources to obtain your products where it could have been easier to help your cause as well as obtain different lots in order to compare from. I hope you Feel that you have been satisfied with your latest model this truly is a great device.....now if it only had 3G/4G capability, it would go with me anywhere.

Reactions: anakin_sw

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

How do I identify a C60? Considering picking one of these up tomorrow.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

How do I identify a C60? Considering picking one of these up tomorrow.

What you're going to want to do is look at the SSN (not the CSSN) on the bottom of the box (there are several numbers listed).

The earlier batches had SSN numbers that began with C60. Later batches were C70, and I've even seen C80 mentioned. In my opinion, you have a much better bet if you can find a C70. A C60 is by no means a defective unit, just as a C70 is by no means a perfect one, but it's probably better odds-wise to try and grab a C70.

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Nah, I completely didn't take your post as a slight. I've just been busy and hadn't posted in a day and wanted to write a lengthy post to sort of address the heart of this thread. I completely appreciate the kindred spirit of realistic expectations and satisfaction with money well spent. :) I've been trying the WalMart route and honestly, the quality of the units are not "perfect", but I'm noticing that the flaws I encountered through RMA'ing (new word!) aren't present and at first brush seem better than the obviously defective units I'd been receiving. Based on my experience, I'd suspect that the RMA'd units are not coming from the same channel as new, retail ready units and perhaps may be previously exchanged units. I have only my experience to substantiate that theory and I am certainly not saying it to be true, but it seems that the RMAs I received from the Google Play Store were all defective in similar aspects, where the WalMart units have been better than anything I've sampled.

Anywho, just want to let you know I never read your post as a slight and if you want 3G/4G, availability, I'd strongly suggest rooting your phone, running a Wi-Fi tether and enjoying free wireless freedom anywhere, anytime. That's what I have been doing and it works very well. :)

I by no means am bashing you, I apologize if my comments came off rude. I will admit that that I too am quite picky, just quite shocked that it took 7 to get a good model. I too am in a business where quality is everything and tolerances are measured to .0001mm (medical navigation), and so my job is to make sure those items stay true to their specs. I feel maybe I was referring to try different resources to obtain your products where it could have been easier to help your cause as well as obtain different lots in order to compare from. I hope you Feel that you have been satisfied with your latest model this truly is a great device.....now if it only had 3G/4G capability, it would go with me anywhere.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I certainly hope you put as much effort into your job as you expect from others. It's a $249 tablet that was mass produced, of course some are going to have issues. Your test for light bleed is set up for the tablet to fail. I imagine most tablets would fail that test. Just for fun I took my C60 tablet into a closet and performed your test, guess I got lucky or either I don't notice what it is that caused you to return 7 devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick