Recover Pics and Data from Factory Reset Galaxy S4

Lee Gedansky

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to help my best friend recover years of un-backed up pics and data from her Galaxy S4, But I am many moons out of practice. I have done a lot of searching of the web and of this forum, and have not found the right answers, or the answers are very dated and certain resources are no longer available.

Here are the big questions...

1) what data recovery apps should I be considering? PC? Mac-based? Android App?

2) can I use an app like Dr Fone that resides on the S4 to recover pics from the S4 (does This work with a factory reset device?)

3) Does the S4 need to be rooted? If so what is the quickest, easiest way to root the device? (Towel Root no longer is available)

4) I have played with some of the free versions of PC-based data recovery software, and they all require either a rooted device, or enabling USB Mass Storage

5) How in the world do I enable USB mass storage on the galaxy S4? None of the info I searched is current and none of the mass storage toggle apps allow it to be recognized by the recovery software I’m trying.

Note: I have installed the Samsung drivers on my windows 10 device and the phone does recognize as removable storage. All I need is data recovery software that will recognize it as removable storage and everything will be fine.

6) I have had a lot of success using disk warrior on my Mac for recovering data from everything from hard drives I have ripped out of other devices, to android phones. But I need to pay for an upgrade because it’s been along time since I used it. Anyone have any success doing data recovery on an android device using a Mac?

If there’s anything that I missed please let me know. This should be a pretty straightforward process, it’s just been a long time since I’ve done it and I can’t seem to put the correct, current resources together.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something to keep in mind is this: The S4 is getting on to be a 5 year old device. All of the information would seem dated. Have you tried any of the procedures to enable USB mass storage?

Lee Gedansky

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You are right. The age is the toughest part. I did try whatever I could, and nothing revealed the USB mass storage option. I found toggling apps on Google Play but they don’t work, or the data recovery software doesn’t recognize it and asks for either a rooted device or USB Mass Storage to be enabled.

It may be important to mention that the phone does connect with the PC and recognize as a removable drive (both the phone and the SD card show).

Also, when I connect, on option pops up on the phone to select media or pics.

But, again, no check box anywhere for USB Mass Storage in settings and I have enabled Developer mode.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress