Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Safe Mode for a day, and that was better, but still only just about what everybody else is getting with all the bells and whistles turned on.
If Safe Mode gives you normal battery endurance and screen-on time, then it sounds like your battery is ok and you have a problematic app. What does the battery monitor say is using the most charge? And have you tried a factory reset?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Nope, not a single regret.

1. The Note 9 is an upgrade. The battery improvement is tangible for me. The camera is better. The fp scanner is in a better location (for me). ...all the other little upgrades.
2. You have to pay to play...and I like to play.

order_66

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Coming from iPhone X with no regrets but I do wish I could get the notifications a bit louder, I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere that I need to change and I'll figure it out in due time but otherwise it's a huge upgrade from the iphone.

phusebox

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
If Safe Mode gives you normal battery endurance and screen-on time, then it sounds like your battery is ok and you have a problematic app. What does the battery monitor say is using the most charge? And have you tried a factory reset?

Battery monitor says screen, Android OS, device standby, cell standby and system. Rest combined is about 4%

Also in safe mode I wouldn't say 20 hrs is normal endurance? With no apps and the CPU turned down I manage 20 hrs with 5 hrs screen on time. Others have 36 hrs with 7 or 8 hrs screen on time.

Panther6834

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't regret upgrading for even one second. I had an S6, and pre-ordered the Note 7. After the recall, I was forced into downgrading, so I got the closest thing (spec-wise), an S7 Edge. When the Note 8 was announced, I preordered (unlocked), and was fairly happy with it. The only reason I say "fairly" is because it didn't really "stand out" above the S8, other than the S-Pen. However, with the Note 9, there are several ways it's better than the S9.

Not only does it have the S-Pen, but the new S-Pen is a considerable improvement over all previous S-Pens. Then there's the increase in storage option...a whopping 512GB. Of course, with that storage increase also comes a RAM increase (8GB vs 6GB). While the camera specs aren't much different, in regards to holding the phone, the side-by-side layout is superior to the over-under layout of the S9. While some are (poorly) attempting to claim that the Note 9 is a relatively minor "upgrade" from the Note 8 and/or S9-series, when one takes a serious look at everything, only then do you truly street setting the actually improvements. It might not be a "revolutionary" upgrade, it IS enough of an "evolutionary" upgrade tho make the switch VERY-WELL worth it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My question is for anyone that previously had the note 8 and upgraded to the note 9. Do you have any regrets that you should have stayed with your note 8 and saved your money or not feeling there is much of a difference between the two

Heeeck no!
Way better battery and the camera is much better than my Note 8. also love the bluetooth S-Pen for taking pics

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Meh. I came from an iPhone 7 plus and even consider going back to that. Might not be as fast, has a lesser display but at least it keeps going all day.
But you're not encountering the normal performance of a Note9. Either your phone is defective or (more likely) you have some weird apps or settings that are causing unusual battery drain.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Also in safe mode I wouldn't say 20 hrs is normal endurance? With no apps and the CPU turned down I manage 20 hrs with 5 hrs screen on time. Others have 36 hrs with 7 or 8 hrs screen on time.
I get about 21/5 with no effort at power saving, and that's much better than my previous phones. I think that's way more typical for the Note9 than 36/8. But the 15/3 you report (even with power-saving) is abnormally low for a Note9.

Mustafa Kurtay

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
I just can't help replying your question even though it's not quite my case however I just love love love my note 9, it is my very first android phone , coming from Apple after 10 years and having been used iPhone X since launched , I just want to share my excitement on switching to a galaxy note 9 and I'm just loving it even though many things work differently

johnpjackson

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
My Note9 512GB is the device I've been waiting on for at least 5 years, easily. I only have one complaint about it so far. It's minor but it's about such a needlessly, deliberately stupid and indefensible choice by Samsung that it's a festering irritation. I bought my Note9 512 direct from Samsung, carrier unlocked. Samsung has already confirmed for me they deliberately chose to remove the Android code from its camera support to shut off the artificial camera shutter noise they place in their builds of the firmware. They try to argue that this is because some countries make it illegal for them to provide a device that doesn't make a sound when it's being used to take photographs, but they are plainly lying. They have to be. If they honestly were trying to address that as an issue of concern, they would not allow muting the system sounds completely to suppress the artificial camera shutter noise. Which it in fact does, and which they readily provide as their 'solution' to not including the option to just disable the camera shutter noise itself. So, as much as Samsung can sometimes (FINALLY) get enough right with a power-user's device like the Note9, they can still continue to find ways to destroy user satisfaction just as successfully. It's just stupid of them. Still leaves me happy to consider other manufacturers, if any ever show an interest in making a device to compete directly with these. Sorry, Samsung. I wish I could give you more loyalty. The ball for that is always in your court.

phusebox

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I just can't help replying your question even though it's not quite my case however I just love love love my note 9, it is my very first android phone , coming from Apple after 10 years and having been used iPhone X since launched , I just want to share my excitement on switching to a galaxy note 9 and I'm just loving it even though many things work differently

The biggest issue I have with switching ecosystem is the fact that a lot of apps are iPhone only or on iPhone work much better and have more features. I am already missing several things I daily used and there is no alternative in Android.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I was always going to have buyers remorse, the Note 8 was a fantastic device for me and the Note 9 would have to live up to a lot, which I'm happy to say it did!
Always going to be sorry to see the Note 8 go but I cannot warrant having 2 phones and I will keep the better one.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
they are plainly lying. They have to be. If they honestly were trying to address that as an issue of concern, they would not allow muting the system sounds completely to suppress the artificial camera shutter noise.
You have no grounds to accuse Samsung of lying. There are in fact laws against a specific option to disable shutter sounds. Those laws might or might not be worded in such a way as to prohibit totally muting the device (including the shutter sound). You haven't mentioned any reason to think the laws do prohibit total muting, or offered any explanation of why in that case the laws are not being enforced against Samsung.

gnote2tmo

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have started using less apps because else I won't make it through the day. Signal strength is the same. I do aggressive power saving on this phone just so it won't die on me before the day is done.

I tried the Safe Mode for a day, and that was better, but still only just about what everybody else is getting with all the bells and whistles turned on.

When I am browsing or on WhatsApp I just see the percentages drop in front of my eyes. At one time I had 17% battery use per hour!

Clearly your phone has issues. My note 8 was horrible with battery life. I used to hit 50% with just 2 hours screen time. Just today I hit almost 3 hours with 70%!!!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll regret it if they launch galaxy x or whatever they come up with in 2018. Like come on Samsung at least give 6 months to note 9 to be a flagship.
Last rumor I saw was around November. However, once you take that huge $1800 jump (or whatever it turns out to be), would anyone even consider getting an S10 after that? I think they would be locked into that phone at that point and just upgrade the following year.
To a smaller extent, this is why I don't understand people going from the Note to the S every year as well, paying that extra money for an S-pen you don't want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longhorn